The Student Room Group

Art a level

Basically I’d like to do some art related course at uni but am unsure whether to take a level art or not. I liked it at gcse but I was stressed out. Additionally art clashes with maths a level and I could be moved to the other maths class but it has the worse teacher. At the minute I have the best maths teacher but should I move from his class just so I can do art?
Original post by Rachaelmc1065
Basically I’d like to do some art related course at uni but am unsure whether to take a level art or not. I liked it at gcse but I was stressed out. Additionally art clashes with maths a level and I could be moved to the other maths class but it has the worse teacher. At the minute I have the best maths teacher but should I move from his class just so I can do art?

Heyy! I know exactly what you meant when you said "worse teacher". I didnt pick digital art cuz of the teacher (who now is being nicer than b4) or art in A-level even though I love it cuz it clashed with my maths and other subjects. Do not move maths classes! A-level maths can be daunting and you need the right teacher to help you so stay where you are. Can you not ask to join the art class that doesnt clash with your math class?

Some Unis actually won't require you to do an art A-level, they will instead ask you to showcase a portfolio or do some sort of project to have an idea of what your capable of. I suggest you research into what the entry requirements are for an art degree in unis near you or far away and then decide what you wanna do. You can always do online courses to show the uni your passion for art even while doing A-level.

Remember to always do what you love! Hope that helps and have a nice day :smile:
Reply 2
Hi, thanks that gives me a bit more confidence about the maths the teachers are all telling me to move and do art but I’m happy with the maths teacher and the class im in at the minute. Unfortunately there only is one art class, im going to talk with principle tomorrow and try and see if there’s any possibility of me doing art while maintaining my maths (even though I’d miss some art classes) but I have SO MANY free periods and I think I could make up for lost art classes in their periods
Hi, thanks that gives me a bit more confidence about the maths the teachers are all telling me to move and do art but I’m happy with the maths teacher and the class im in at the minute. Unfortunately there only is one art class, im going to talk with principle tomorrow and try and see if there’s any possibility of me doing art while maintaining my maths (even though I’d miss some art classes) but I have SO MANY free periods and I think I could make up for lost art classes in their periods

Your welcome! If you're happy with the maths teacher stay where you are. Thats a good idea to use your frees, however in the second year of A-levels you may or may not have that many. 2nd yr is stressful cus of the exams and your gonna be grateful for the frees so you can revise, so thats something to be mindful of.

You can always take a gap year to do art after your A-levels if youre comfortable with that. It all comes down to uni entry requirements, so research a lot b4 deciding.

In the end of the day its what you want to do and how your school accommodates to that. Anyway, let me know how it goes if you dont mind. Bye :smile:
Reply 4
I would suggest you think about doing a FAD at a local college after A levels.This will allow you to build up a better portfolio when applying for creative courses.If you can negotiate a. bespoke Art A level at school then great as you will need a portfolio to get on FAD course .You could always drop Art if it gets too much in year 13.What other A levels are you doing?
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
I would suggest you think about doing a FAD at a local college after A levels.This will allow you to build up a better portfolio when applying for creative courses.If you can negotiate a. bespoke Art A level at school then great as you will need a portfolio to get on FAD course .You could always drop Art if it gets too much in year 13.What other A levels are you doing?

Right now I’m studying maths. Media and history, honestly they are quite random and I do love art but I just find it to be very stressful at school
Reply 6
Original post by Scotney

Also, sorry what is a bespoke a level?
Reply 7
Also, sorry what is a bespoke a level?

Well it means the school let you fit Art in when your timetable allows.But honestly do your A levels then FAD is probably better for you.You can devote a whole year to just exploring Art to see if it something you want to pursue at Uni or not in which case you have your A levels as back up plan
Reply 8
Original post by Scotney
Well it means the school let you fit Art in when your timetable allows.But honestly do your A levels then FAD is probably better for you.You can devote a whole year to just exploring Art to see if it something you want to pursue at Uni or not in which case you have your A levels as back up plan

FAD courses are free btw if you are 18 at start of course.

Quick Reply

Latest