The Student Room Group

Why is it seen as a good thing to be a virgin and a bad thing not to be a virgin?

Why is being a virgin a good thing but people try to insult people who aren't virgins?
Reply 1
Outside of a minority of people who assign a bogus moral virtue to virginity, no one gives a toss.
Reply 2
It’s a good thing because you’re pure and innocent and a bad thing because nobody wants to have sex with you
People call guys "virgin loser" to insult them, don't know where you got this idea that being a virgin is considered to be good.
Reply 4
Original post by Kovalensky
People call guys "virgin loser" to insult them, don't know where you got this idea that being a virgin is considered to be good.

With religious aspect of things, it's seen as a good thing to be a virgin until marriage. I have insulted someone myself saying they are only good for having babies
Reply 5
*making babies
Reply 6
I would say that it's usually boys who are insulted for it and girls complimented for it, but considering my experiences with both I don't think that's the case for either. Personally I think it depends on other factors. For example, some disliked person would consistently by laughed at for it, while somebody nice would be complimented for it. Looks may have an impact too but I am not certain. It could be an interesting study actually, I might make it at some point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending