The Student Room Group

22 year old male virgin, can tinder be used to hook up on nights out?

So before anyone jumps to conclusions I'm not and have not been desparate to lose it during my life so far. I was brought up in a catholic school where we were educated to have no sex before marriage and throughout my time at uni and on nights out up until now I have never really felt any urge to pursue anything, even turning down a girl I got with one night because I just thought it would be awkward and I wasn't ready yet and I'd prefer to wait for someoen special in a relationship.

I used tinder in my 3rd year to go on dates just for dating experience/search for a relationship and had moderate success. But I never viewed these dates with the goal/intention of having sex. However, now in my final year I believe I should make a conscious effort to lose it. This is not for my physical needs but because I've realised waiting until I'm in a relationship could be another 10+ years and I feel like it will benefit my chances in that regard, as well as socially and mentally if I just get it done this year before I leave uni and it becomes harder.

I don't know how people approach using tinder for hook ups, but for me an ideal scenario would be to match with a girl, chat to her and then arrange for a night out that me and my friends and her and her friends were going on anyway and then just hookup at the club. This will mean that I'm very smashed so it will be less awkward than the traditional go on a date bring her back to yours which I just think will be very awkward.

Has anyone done this before? Do you think it is a good idea? And what do you think my chances are of success? I've been on nine dates from online dating since I got tinder and bumble last september but obviously its a bit different with hook ups.
Reply 1
Unrealistic. Most people on Tinder are either bored or looking for a relationship other than hookups. It would also be hard seeing as you barely get any matches, especially not enough for something like a casual hook up.
You could try, but I doubt it will end up working out in the exact way you are planning.
Don't do that. Believe me, you don't want to be just another number to someone who does not matter to you either. Find yourself a nice boy/girl who likes you, and who you like and it will come naturally.
Reply 3
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Unrealistic. Most people on Tinder are either bored or looking for a relationship other than hookups. It would also be hard seeing as you barely get any matches, especially not enough for something like a casual hook up.
You could try, but I doubt it will end up working out in the exact way you are planning.

I wouldn't say I barely get any matches, I have 130 but I only messaged/met the girls that I thought had more of a connection with and were attractive enough for me to consider a relationship with. For a one night stand I'd be willing to just lower my standards both in terms of looks and chat over text
Reply 4
Original post by whatitdobabyeee
Don't do that. Believe me, you don't want to be just another number to someone who does not matter to you either. Find yourself a nice boy/girl who likes you, and who you like and it will come naturally.

Yes I 100% agree with everything u say bar the don't do it part. I would rather wait until I find someone who loves me and is understanding but the reality is that could be a long way off. The issue I have with waiting is pretty much the pressure of society in terms of feeling left out in certain conversations and scenarios as well as the detrimental impact that being a virgin will have if I meet a nice girl at say 30 years old. This would literally just be once and then I would go back to how I was before. I don't crave sex physically or anything like that but the stigma surrounding being a virgin is already starting to impact my mental health and it will only get worse as I get older
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
What “standards” are you talking about? You’re a virgin mate, you don’t get to talk about standards. Get real.

Ahaha I might be a virgin but I have gone on dates with some attractive girls. By standards I mean I would be happy to hook up with someone I wouldn't normalky date . For example I had a few girls message me first but I ignored because I thought to myself could I really see myself in a relationship with them, but for a one off hook up I would reply. I'm not trying to sound cocky or anything just saying for example I'm on good shape and wouldn't want to be in a relationship who doesn't take their health seriously but for a hook up I'd consider it , that's what I meant by lowering standards thing
Reply 6
Ahaha I might be a virgin but I have gone on dates with some attractive girls. By standards I mean I would be happy to hook up with someone I wouldn't normalky date . For example I had a few girls message me first but I ignored because I thought to myself could I really see myself in a relationship with them, but for a one off hook up I would reply. I'm not trying to sound cocky or anything just saying for example I'm on good shape and wouldn't want to be in a relationship who doesn't take their health seriously but for a hook up I'd consider it , that's what I meant by lowering standards thing

Not going to lie here, but you do sound picky for a guy just wanting to lose his virginity.

You've clearly had a few chances but are building this weird perception of things up in your head.

The 'right' girl would rather you waited, rather than gain some short term experience by sh*gging a random s*** which could possibly even further undermine you..
Reply 7
Yes I 100% agree with everything u say bar the don't do it part. I would rather wait until I find someone who loves me and is understanding but the reality is that could be a long way off. The issue I have with waiting is pretty much the pressure of society in terms of feeling left out in certain conversations and scenarios as well as the detrimental impact that being a virgin will have if I meet a nice girl at say 30 years old. This would literally just be once and then I would go back to how I was before. I don't crave sex physically or anything like that but the stigma surrounding being a virgin is already starting to impact my mental health and it will only get worse as I get older

If there's any pressure or stigma, it's what you are building up in your own mind. You don't have to broadcast the fact that you are a virgin so 'society' won't know if you don't say anything. If you don't like the conversations you have with people, find new people to talk with about more interesting subjects than your sex lives.

Everyone is different, so having sex now with some random person does not prepare you for a loving, intimate relationship in the future. It could well be the other way round and that it's detrimental to you to have a one-night stand than to think you should have waited for soneone special.
Reply 8
Original post by TJ1997
Not going to lie here, but you do sound picky for a guy just wanting to lose his virginity.

You've clearly had a few chances but are building this weird perception of things up in your head.

The 'right' girl would rather you waited, rather than gain some short term experience by sh*gging a random s*** which could possibly even further undermine you..

Nope I'm not picky at all now lol. The reason I didn't follow through with anything before was because I wanted to wait for the right person and be in a relationship so ofc I'm gonna be more picky and not just jump into any relationship. But now I do just want to get it over and done with this year so I really don't care who the girl is tbh.
Reply 9
Original post by Surnia
If there's any pressure or stigma, it's what you are building up in your own mind. You don't have to broadcast the fact that you are a virgin so 'society' won't know if you don't say anything. If you don't like the conversations you have with people, find new people to talk with about more interesting subjects than your sex lives.

Everyone is different, so having sex now with some random person does not prepare you for a loving, intimate relationship in the future. It could well be the other way round and that it's detrimental to you to have a one-night stand than to think you should have waited for soneone special.

There is definitely truth to what you are saying, but I would argue that the fact that it is building up in my mind , is a reason to just get it over with. Yes I don't have to broadcast it to everyone and I don't, only my close friends know. But this still doesn't change the fact that I feel uncomfortable in any social situation when it is brought up and if someone asks me I will always tell the truth and never lie.

I feel like this has also stopped me from joining big sports clubs like football because I've heard at socials newcomers get asked how many girls they've slept with as part of their initiation and I feel like the whole environment would just make me feel uncomfortable.

Surely u must agree that doing it once now and then waiting for a relationship (I'm not gonna start sleeping around) is better than potentially being a 30 year old virgin who can't get a gf because they think I'm abnormal?

I've looked on lots of forums of how 30 year old male virgin's cope with life and the reaction is overwhelming negative, some saying they've got to 3 dates with a girl and then the girls found out and cut it off after the 3rd date, and they also say that it has really impacted their mental health because of the way society sees them as abnormal.

I just want to do this to preserve my mental health and increase my chances of having a gf in the future
Reply 10
There is definitely truth to what you are saying, but I would argue that the fact that it is building up in my mind , is a reason to just get it over with. Yes I don't have to broadcast it to everyone and I don't, only my close friends know. But this still doesn't change the fact that I feel uncomfortable in any social situation when it is brought up and if someone asks me I will always tell the truth and never lie.

I feel like this has also stopped me from joining big sports clubs like football because I've heard at socials newcomers get asked how many girls they've slept with as part of their initiation and I feel like the whole environment would just make me feel uncomfortable.

Surely u must agree that doing it once now and then waiting for a relationship (I'm not gonna start sleeping around) is better than potentially being a 30 year old virgin who can't get a gf because they think I'm abnormal?

I've looked on lots of forums of how 30 year old male virgin's cope with life and the reaction is overwhelming negative, some saying they've got to 3 dates with a girl and then the girls found out and cut it off after the 3rd date, and they also say that it has really impacted their mental health because of the way society sees them as abnormal.

I just want to do this to preserve my mental health and increase my chances of having a gf in the future

So you won't do sports because of some silly rumours? You just tell people it's none of their business. And you might have sex once and it's a miserable experience and it leaves you feeling worse than you do already, so that screws things up for future relationships.

I don't know why you've got this obsession with the age of 30. You might start a relationship next year, you might not meet someone for 20 years. If a women cares about you, she's not going to be put off by you being a virgin, but she will if you lack confidence; I bet there's more to those sad online stories than just bwing a virgin. Male or female, 22 or 42, it's not abnormal to be a virgin. I bet there's more than Go out and get some hobbies and stop obsessing over it.
Original post by Surnia
So you won't do sports because of some silly rumours? You just tell people it's none of their business. And you might have sex once and it's a miserable experience and it leaves you feeling worse than you do already, so that screws things up for future relationships.

I don't know why you've got this obsession with the age of 30. You might start a relationship next year, you might not meet someone for 20 years. If a women cares about you, she's not going to be put off by you being a virgin, but she will if you lack confidence; I bet there's more to those sad online stories than just bwing a virgin. Male or female, 22 or 42, it's not abnormal to be a virgin. I bet there's more than Go out and get some hobbies and stop obsessing over it.

Well I did end up playing football, started my own team to play in a casual league outside the uni club. Yeah that's true it could be a bad experience but I think having one bad experience is still better than having a perception that society thinks your a loser.

I just say 30 coz that's the age when people start to think it's very weird to still be a virgin. And I've seen on other forums girls themselves say they wouldn't go there. Yes u are probably right that these people lack confidence/Have many mental health issues but do u not think that them being a virgin for so long has worsened those?

I have lots of hobbies and friends, play 4 different sports and have been on dates , I'm content with my life for now but I'm thinking about my mental health in the future and that this is my last year at uni and probs the easiest time to have a ons in the eas7est possible/ least awkward way
Reply 12
Well I did end up playing football, started my own team to play in a casual league outside the uni club. Yeah that's true it could be a bad experience but I think having one bad experience is still better than having a perception that society thinks your a loser.

I just say 30 coz that's the age when people start to think it's very weird to still be a virgin. And I've seen on other forums girls themselves say they wouldn't go there. Yes u are probably right that these people lack confidence/Have many mental health issues but do u not think that them being a virgin for so long has worsened those?

I have lots of hobbies and friends, play 4 different sports and have been on dates , I'm content with my life for now but I'm thinking about my mental health in the future and that this is my last year at uni and probs the easiest time to have a ons in the eas7est possible/ least awkward way

As I've said, maybe people have issues and that's the reason they are a virgin, not that being a virgin makes things worse. Equally there are men who have slept around and have a body count in double figures and still aren't happy.

Personally, I think someone is more of a loser for having a one-night stand because they think that's what society expects, than someone who maintains their principles and doesnt have meaningless sex.
Reply 13
So before anyone jumps to conclusions I'm not and have not been desparate to lose it during my life so far. I was brought up in a catholic school where we were educated to have no sex before marriage and throughout my time at uni and on nights out up until now I have never really felt any urge to pursue anything, even turning down a girl I got with one night because I just thought it would be awkward and I wasn't ready yet and I'd prefer to wait for someoen special in a relationship.

I used tinder in my 3rd year to go on dates just for dating experience/search for a relationship and had moderate success. But I never viewed these dates with the goal/intention of having sex. However, now in my final year I believe I should make a conscious effort to lose it. This is not for my physical needs but because I've realised waiting until I'm in a relationship could be another 10+ years and I feel like it will benefit my chances in that regard, as well as socially and mentally if I just get it done this year before I leave uni and it becomes harder.

I don't know how people approach using tinder for hook ups, but for me an ideal scenario would be to match with a girl, chat to her and then arrange for a night out that me and my friends and her and her friends were going on anyway and then just hookup at the club. This will mean that I'm very smashed so it will be less awkward than the traditional go on a date bring her back to yours which I just think will be very awkward.

Has anyone done this before? Do you think it is a good idea? And what do you think my chances are of success? I've been on nine dates from online dating since I got tinder and bumble last september but obviously its a bit different with hook ups.

Hey, how did things go? I'm on the exact same situation and have the same doubt.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending