The Student Room Group

What should I do? (Career/a level subjects crisis)

Hello,
So for context I do Eng lit, psychology and sociology a levels atm. I picked these a levels because I was interested in them and also english lit is a subject I tend to do well in, the stem subjects were the hardest for me in GCSEs but I managed to get good grades for them.

At the start of the year I did Bio instead of soc. I dropped bio because I didn't like biochemistry and thought that there'd be no point in doing bio alone without another science subject (which I didn't wanna do). But now I also find soc boring and now I feel as if I should've done smth like bio and chem instead at first which would give me more career prospects since I also dont know what I wanna do in the future.
I just know I wanna do a job that will help ppl and make a difference in their lives while also getting a rlly good pay.The careers I'm interested in are law, psychologist, speech therapy, smth security/forensic related and neurology. With neurology, I'd obviously need bio + chem but the thing is I don't have a passion for those subjects but I'm very much interested in neuroscience buttt I also don't know what I wanna be in the future. Idk if I'm even able to change subjects but I need advice, should I change the subjects?

(Btw: I have talked to a career counsellor and she said that I picked my a levels well, being that I picked based on passion and interest and so did my friends but there's a sense of doubt within me, it's funny because I was so sure of dropping bio and knew chem would be worse but I can't help thinking that I might have enjoyed it if I stayed longer or that I might like to get into a med degree or smth..I might speak to another one again.)
(edited 5 months ago)
Some careers I would consider with these A Levels are
-Housing Officer
-Solicitor
-Paralegal
-Teacher of psychology, sociology or eng lit
-HR Officer
-Barrister
-Journalist
-Editorial Assistant
-Nurse
-Psychologist/Therapist (you can do forensic psychology it's a thing I checked)
-Paramedic

If you want to go into neurology very badly, some of your options are
1. Foundation year - you get good grades in your current a levels and do a degree with a foundation year
2. You could do a degree for any of these jobs above and after you have qualified in these, you can take the graduate route (ie. a graduate degree into medicine) and go into neurology (if taking this route, its best if you take a medical related degree like nursing first so you can get some valuable experience and insight)

So, overall, what I would advise you to do is just focus on getting the best possible grades in your a levels so you can look at you post 18 options.

Quick Reply

Latest