The Student Room Group

A question of University - Edinburgh, SOAS, Leeds

Poll

Which ones? (no more than two please ^^)

Having recieved offers from London (SOAS) (AAB), Leeds (BBB), Sheffield (ABB) and awating a response from Edinburgh (they only ever offer BBB) to study Japanese, I am now thinking which ones I should choose. I don't really want to go to Sheffield (I didn't get a good feeling from it on the open day) so that leaves SOAS, Leeds and Edinburgh (if I get an offer and if I don't then this thread becomes void as the decision will be made easy). I have heard good things about all universities so I am undecided. Pros and cons of each (in my opinion) are as follows:

SOAS: Although I haven't been to see it (didn't have the chance as I only decided to apply there 5 minutes before sending my application), I have only heard good things about it with regards to their Japanese course. After Oxbridge, it is top in the league tables for East Asian languages and aparently, the course is a lot more luanguage-based than others at other universities. However, it's London and so very big and very expensive. But then I live closest to it and you can get to pretty much anywhere from there. But accomodation in the halls isn't guaranteed.

Leeds: Loved the university when I went on the open day and from teachers that studied there (no less than 3) I have been told that, as a university, it is excellent. Also (correct if wrong) accomodation is guaranteed for all (first year?) students. However, they send you to Japan in the second year but the course if very flexible and because of the range of subjects offered at the university, I will be able to keep my hand in in French and Spanish and also perhaps try a new language. A redeaming feature of being sent away in year 2 is that there is the option to stay with a family (does anyone know if this is true for the other universities aswell?).

Edinburgh: Beautiful city. Brilliant university. It is my understanding that accomodation is guaranteed for all (first year, at least) students (again, correct if wrong). The course there sounds good but seems quite literature-based. Also is extremely far from home.

If I think of anything else I'll add it.

So, what do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's a University Challenge!
Reply 2
GlitterGirl
It's a University Challenge!

That would have been a good title for the thread :laughing:
Reply 3
Natsuko
Also is extremely far from home.

Extremely far from home? I know it's subjective, but I wouldn't say it is. The North Pole, perhaps, not Edinburgh (trip up the east coast mainline)

So how do you feel about distance (as you haven't really made it clear whether that's a positive or negative)? Because it's not as thought you'll be commuting there daily, it's only a trip you need to make a few times. Even if you do need to travel at short notice (say, for an emergency), it's only four hours on the train. You can be home in half a day, easily.

Anyway, I've moved this to choosing a uni (rather than the languages subforum).
Reply 4
River85
Extremely far from home? I know it's subjective, but I wouldn't say it is. The North Pole, perhaps, not Edinburgh (trip up the east coast mainline)

So how do you feel about distance (as you haven't really made it clear whether that's a positive or negative)? Because it's not as thought you'll be commuting there daily, it's only a trip you need to make a few times. Even if you do need to travel at short notice (say, for an emergency), it's only four hours on the train. You can be home in half a day, easily.

Anyway, I've moved this to choosing a uni (rather than the languages subforum).

It's relatively far as compared to London (only 1 and a half hours direct by train and something similar by car) and I think there's a direct train to Leeds. When we went to the open day at Edinburgh we took the plane from Birmingham. The distance makes me a little nervous but I reckon I could manage it.

Languages subforum? I wasn't aware that I'd put it there... Never mind, thank-you!
Reply 5
Natsuko
It's relatively far as compared to London (only 1 and a half hours direct by train and something similar by car) and I think there's a direct train to Leeds. When we went to the open day at Edinburgh we took the plane from Birmingham. The distance makes me a little nervous but I reckon I could manage it.

Languages subforum? I wasn't aware that I'd put it there... Never mind, thank-you!

Going by plane? That's a bit odd (although can sometimes be cheaper, I suppose). Edinburgh's a capital city and lies on the East Coast mainline. It's probably not as accesible from where you live (say...Oxford) as it is from London, Newcastle or any other major city on the east coast, but it's not too bad. You can get there, from Oxford, with only one change if you wanted to.

Well, anyway, I'll move it to foreign languages.
Reply 6
Hi. I just thought I'd write down a fe of my thoughts with regards to your comments about each university, in the hope that it may help:

SOAS: Don't accept the offer without going to see the university! Don't worry about whether or not there's an open day - there are probably guided tours weekly, and if not you could either contact someone or just go down and get a 'feel' for the place! Because, you mentioned for Sheffield that you didn't get a good feeling, so what if it's the same for SOAS? As for the negatives you mentioned, they are all good points and you just have to decide what is your priority - e.g. finance/ accommodation/ course...

Leeds: Sounds excellent: I went to an open day there and was also impressed by the course, and I know lots of people at Leeds who really like it. I can understand that going away in your second year does sound very daunting, and it is a very unusual structure (is the course 3/4 year? That may be something else you want to consider), however, from personal experience, I felt like my sdecond year was a bit of a waste of time, because I felt like I was progressing so slowly and knew that the best way of learning the language was by living in the country... so it could turn out to be a positive:smile: Staying with a host family may appear like a really good thing, but you need to consider this option carefully, because if they are really difficult to live with/ there way of life goes against yours, it could be really difficult. However, on the other hand it could work out really well. It's just a bit of risk.

Finally, with regard to Edinburgh, it is a beautiful city but is extremely expensive, so you may want to consider that. And if you are concerned about the distance you should think about how much you want to go home etc, because there are people who drop out of uni becasue they are too far away from home, so if you feel this may be you, you should think carefully about it.

Anyway, these were just my thoughts as I read through what you said. I hope it helps.
Reply 7
*banana

Finally, with regard to Edinburgh, it is a beautiful city but is extremely expensive, so you may want to consider that. And if you are concerned about the distance you should think about how much you want to go home etc, because there are people who drop out of uni becasue they are too far away from home, so if you feel this may be you, you should think carefully about it.

Anyway, these were just my thoughts as I read through what you said. I hope it helps.

its not as expensive as london
Reply 8
Just my tuppence, Edinburgh isn't really that far. As River85 has said, the East Coast mainline is very accessible. I imagine transport links from Oxford to London are quite decent, and from there it's just one train journey to Edinburgh Waverley that usually lasts between four and a half and five and a half hours. It isn't so bad, really.
Reply 9
its not as expensive as london

You're right, of course. While it isn't as cheap as some other university cities, it certainly isn't crazily expensive (I certainly wouldn't call it extremely expensive!). I find it to be reasonable most of the time.
Reply 10
Absurd
You're right, of course. While it isn't as cheap as some other university cities, it certainly isn't crazily expensive (I certainly wouldn't call it extremely expensive!). I find it to be reasonable most of the time.

Ok, well obviously I don't have any first hand experience... I just remember that it was going to be loads more for me to go there than any other university that I had applied to. Perhaps 'extremely' was an exaggeration:smile:
Reply 11
*banana
Ok, well obviously I don't have any first hand experience... I just remember that it was going to be loads more for me to go there than any other university that I had applied to. Perhaps 'extremely' was an exaggeration:smile:

Well, while it is somewhat important I don't think it is something that should stop the OP from going. Even the costs of travel between, say, Edinburgh and London aren't too high if one is organised and books in advance.
leeds is my firm - or will be when newcastle get back to me (grr), so i say go with leeds.
Reply 13
Absurd
Well, while it is somewhat important I don't think it is something that should stop the OP from going. Even the costs of travel between, say, Edinburgh and London aren't too high if one is organised and books in advance.

I wasn't suggesting that she shouldn't go, only mentioning it because, for me, that had been a factor, and also because she had mentioned the cost of living in London was a reason not to go there.
Reply 14
Natsuko
Having recieved offers from London (SOAS) (AAB), Leeds (BBB), Sheffield (ABB) and awating a response from Edinburgh (they only ever offer BBB) to study Japanese, I am now thinking which ones I should choose. I don't really want to go to Sheffield (I didn't get a good feeling from it on the open day) so that leaves SOAS, Leeds and Edinburgh (if I get an offer and if I don't then this thread becomes void as the decision will be made easy). I have heard good things about all universities so I am undecided. Pros and cons of each (in my opinion) are as follows:

SOAS: Although I haven't been to see it (didn't have the chance as I only decided to apply there 5 minutes before sending my application), I have only heard good things about it with regards to their Japanese course. After Oxbridge, it is top in the league tables for East Asian languages and aparently, the course is a lot more luanguage-based than others at other universities. However, it's London and so very big and very expensive. But then I live closest to it and you can get to pretty much anywhere from there. But accomodation in the halls isn't guaranteed.

Leeds: Loved the university when I went on the open day and from teachers that studied there (no less than 3) I have been told that, as a university, it is excellent. Also (correct if wrong) accomodation is guaranteed for all (first year?) students. However, they send you to Japan in the second year but the course if very flexible and because of the range of subjects offered at the university, I will be able to keep my hand in in French and Spanish and also perhaps try a new language. A redeaming feature of being sent away in year 2 is that there is the option to stay with a family (does anyone know if this is true for the other universities aswell?).

Someone who had done Jap at Leeds stated that whilst the course is nice and tests your abilities, the amount of floaters is a severe distraction. I must admit, I was highly sceptical of our erstwhile Yorkshire uni, but their postgraduate courses for East Asian disciplines look far better managed and flexible than the ones for SOAS. However getting sent to Japan in Year II would make or break you imo. To get to an unbelievable standard you would have to push yourself extremely hard. And as I previously stated somewhere else most of their partner unis aren't very good compared to ones we got.

I'll be going to Japan, at the ability of being able to read basic academic journals, newspapers articles and magazines with enough speaking to get my way around. I think if you come into Japanese after one year - going after one year of university tuition is going to be a drain on you, unless you are very very good at Japanese and absorbing information. I am so glad in many ways to be going after two years of uni rather than just the one. Also coming back from my YA and tasting Japan, only to be told I have two more years in the UK - would physically kill me. As far as I'm aware home-stays are only for short-term stays and seeing as you are there for one year I would imagine it won't be the case.

I believe SOAS this year had an even bigger intake than we had for this year (85 doing Japanese of something) which is a bit silly. Edinburgh on the oth, because they don't have a specific East Asian department admit students on the basis of foreign language ability rather than social science - hence their intake is small and their teaching is rather good, apparently. Although I think I read somewhere they do only 250 kanji in the first year. :shifty:
Reply 15
*banana

Leeds: Sounds excellent: I went to an open day there and was also impressed by the course, and I know lots of people at Leeds who really like it. I can understand that going away in your second year does sound very daunting, and it is a very unusual structure (is the course 3/4 year? That may be something else you want to consider), however, from personal experience, I felt like my sdecond year was a bit of a waste of time, because I felt like I was progressing so slowly and knew that the best way of learning the language was by living in the country... so it could turn out to be a positive:smile: Staying with a host family may appear like a really good thing, but you need to consider this option carefully, because if they are really difficult to live with/ there way of life goes against yours, it could be really difficult. However, on the other hand it could work out really well. It's just a bit of risk.

Not really. It only allows you the capacity and by which I mean every single hour of the waking day to put what you've learnt into practice. Makes no sense, if you actually haven't learnt anything. Japanese people seldom give out free grammar lessons on the streets. It works for some, although I have a flatmate and g/f who is Japanese so I just mix it seeing as one is fluent in English and the other is desperate to have free eikaiwa with a gaijin (her sentiments, not mine.)

Living with a host family though, especially in somewhere 'chou inaka' is probably a good option if you have free-time before your course starts, because doing that as a full-time thing for one year would kill any social life you want to have. Not that house-parties are big in Japan anyway - the walls are so thin your neighbours can hear you sneeze.
Reply 16
gaijin
Someone who had done Jap at Leeds stated that whilst the course is nice and tests your abilities, the amount of floaters is a severe distraction. I must admit, I was highly sceptical of our erstwhile Yorkshire uni, but their postgraduate courses for East Asian disciplines look far better managed and flexible than the ones for SOAS. However getting sent to Japan in Year II would make or break you imo. To get to an unbelievable standard you would have to push yourself extremely hard. And as I previously stated somewhere else most of their partner unis aren't very good compared to ones we got.

It does seem a bit of a leap - just leaving home one september and then leaving the continent the next. I prefer the idea of going with a bit more knowledge of Japanese so I won't have to make a complete fool of myself with my sign language. Plus, since you're not leagally an adult until 20 in Japan, going in the 3rd year would be better (August birthday).

gaijin
I'll be going to Japan, at the ability of being able to read basic academic journals, newspapers articles and magazines with enough speaking to get my way around. I think if you come into Japanese after one year - going after one year of university tuition is going to be a drain on you, unless you are very very good at Japanese and absorbing information. I am so glad in many ways to be going after two years of uni rather than just the one. Also coming back from my YA and tasting Japan, only to be told I have two more years in the UK - would physically kill me. As far as I'm aware home-stays are only for short-term stays and seeing as you are there for one year I would imagine it won't be the case.

Haha! :laugning:

I read an acount of a student who went and stayed with a family for the year on their website and it sounded pretty good. But I see the point you make in your next post about a minus on the social life. I just figured that it would be better for my language skills because I would be 100% immersed.

gaijin
I believe SOAS this year had an even bigger intake than we had for this year (85 doing Japanese of something) which is a bit silly. Edinburgh on the oth, because they don't have a specific East Asian department admit students on the basis of foreign language ability rather than social science - hence their intake is small and their teaching is rather good, apparently. Although I think I read somewhere they do only 250 kanji in the first year. :shifty:

Only 250... How many do you get done at SOAS? 250 seems a very small number. As I'm going at the moment, I should have about 50 under my belt before I even go (knowing the meaning of and how to write them, not how they are to be pronounced in every different context!)
Reply 17
*banana
Hi. I just thought I'd write down a fe of my thoughts with regards to your comments about each university, in the hope that it may help:

SOAS: Don't accept the offer without going to see the university! Don't worry about whether or not there's an open day - there are probably guided tours weekly, and if not you could either contact someone or just go down and get a 'feel' for the place! Because, you mentioned for Sheffield that you didn't get a good feeling, so what if it's the same for SOAS? As for the negatives you mentioned, they are all good points and you just have to decide what is your priority - e.g. finance/ accommodation/ course...

I definately wouldn't put it down without having been there. As you said, I was put off Sheffield because it didn't 'feel' right so imagine me getting there and having the same feeling! :laughing: And for me, I think overall it's the course that matters since my goal is to become fluent in the language and I want the university that can best provide that (I know I won't be completely fluent after 4 years of study, but close enough).

*banana

Which language are you studying (I forgot to look - silly me) and did you study it from scratch? Since Japanese is taught ab initio, I don't think that there would be a problem with the speed at which I would be progressing.

That's another good point about the Homestay option. I don't know how you are allocated to a family but we have had Japanese students at home and it has worked really well in the past. But yes, what you're saying is a risk.

*banana

I don't think the distance would be too much of a problem for me but the expense of travel between there and home could come up high.
Reply 18
And for current students at the afore mentioned universities, how do you find the cities as places to live?
Reply 19
Natsuko

Which language are you studying (I forgot to look - silly me) and did you study it from scratch? Since Japanese is taught ab initio, I don't think that there would be a problem with the speed at which I would be progressing.

I study French, and I didn't study it ab initio, so obviously my situation is quite different to yours. However, I am of the opinion that emmersion is th quickest way of learning, so the sooner you go to the country the better. (That is an opinion based on research - I did a module in SLA last year:smile: )

Latest

Trending

Trending