The Student Room Group

Studying Japanese studies next year

Hi, I’m planning on doing Japanese studies next year at uni. I’ve applied to SOAS, Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh and Oxford Brookes. I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about how good the Japanese courses are in any of these unis. I’ve heard SOAS is really good however I live in London and know how expensive it is to live here, especially as a student. I don’t have anyone I know personally that’s studied Japanese and I can talk to so any input or recommendations would be great! Thank you so much :smile:)
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
hi, i also applied to do japanese at oxford brookes!! have you received an offer from them?
Reply 2
Original post by hakuu
hi, i also applied to do japanese at oxford brookes!! have you received an offer from them?

hii, omg I’m so glad I’ve finally found someone who’s applied to it 😅
And yes I got an offer for 94 UCAS points, so it’s probably going to be my insurance choice. Have you gotten one yet?
Idk if this is invasive haha but what other unis have you applied to?
Reply 3
Original post by larissanuin
hii, omg I’m so glad I’ve finally found someone who’s applied to it 😅
And yes I got an offer for 94 UCAS points, so it’s probably going to be my insurance choice. Have you gotten one yet?
Idk if this is invasive haha but what other unis have you applied to?

oh wow!! how long did you have to wait before you received an offer from oxford brookes? i only applied last week and still waiting for an offer

i also applied to cardiff, leeds, durham and sheffield but my first choice is oxford brookes!!
Reply 4
Original post by hakuu
oh wow!! how long did you have to wait before you received an offer from oxford brookes? i only applied last week and still waiting for an offer

i also applied to cardiff, leeds, durham and sheffield but my first choice is oxford brookes!!

I applied like in November and I got in like a month later so it took a while!! Edinburgh and Newcastle haven’t even replied yet so yeah it might take a couple of weeks.
Ahh that’s so cool! Did you go to the open day for Oxford Brookes and what did you think of it?

(PS sorry for asking sm questions ive just been waiting to get someone’s opinion that isn’t super negative and horrible like on Reddit LMAO 😭😭)
Reply 5
I applied like in November and I got in like a month later so it took a while!! Edinburgh and Newcastle haven’t even replied yet so yeah it might take a couple of weeks.
Ahh that’s so cool! Did you go to the open day for Oxford Brookes and what did you think of it?

(PS sorry for asking sm questions ive just been waiting to get someone’s opinion that isn’t super negative and horrible like on Reddit LMAO 😭😭)

yeah i actually went to their open day last november and it was amazing!! the people were really nice and i actually got to talk to two of the japanese studies students and they said that they’re really enjoying it. One of them just got back from their year abroad in japan and said that they would really recommend the course.

And also, I’ve read some negative stuffs about ob on reddit as well which is why i’m also a bit worried but based on my experience during the open day it should be fine. I got a taster japanese session and the topics were really interesting plus the lecturer was really nice as well. I’m really looking forward to studying japanese at ob so hopefully i’ll get an offer soon :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by hakuu
yeah i actually went to their open day last november and it was amazing!! the people were really nice and i actually got to talk to two of the japanese studies students and they said that they’re really enjoying it. One of them just got back from their year abroad in japan and said that they would really recommend the course.

And also, I’ve read some negative stuffs about ob on reddit as well which is why i’m also a bit worried but based on my experience during the open day it should be fine. I got a taster japanese session and the topics were really interesting plus the lecturer was really nice as well. I’m really looking forward to studying japanese at ob so hopefully i’ll get an offer soon :smile:

oooo ok that sounds really good then!!
and yeah honestly I’ve never heard one good thing on Reddit so it’s all probably really exaggerated. anyway I hope you get your offer soon! :smile:
Hi, I’m planning on doing Japanese studies next year at uni. I’ve applied to SOAS, Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh and Oxford Brookes. I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about how good the Japanese courses are in any of these unis. I’ve heard SOAS is really good however I live in London and know how expensive it is to live here, especially as a student. I don’t have anyone I know personally that’s studied Japanese and I can talk to so any input or recommendations would be great! Thank you so much :smile:)

A former Japanese student at Edinburgh wrote this very comprehensive post about Japanese courses available in the UK!

Spoiler

Also this post about Japanese year abroad uni choices:

Spoiler

Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
A former Japanese student at Edinburgh wrote this very comprehensive post about Japanese courses available in the UK!

Spoiler

Also this post about Japanese year abroad uni choices:

Spoiler

Hi, thank you so much for the posts. I’ve read it all and I’m still very set on SOAS or Edinburgh. However I really can’t choose between them and the first post has made the decision even harder 😭. Idk if you have any advice but if you did that would be so great 🙏🙏

Thank you again :smile:
Hi, thank you so much for the posts. I’ve read it all and I’m still very set on SOAS or Edinburgh. However I really can’t choose between them and the first post has made the decision even harder 😭. Idk if you have any advice but if you did that would be so great 🙏🙏

Thank you again :smile:

See if you can visit on an offer holder day maybe :smile: Look at the options for year abroad locations too!

Bear in mind SOAS has somewhat fewer options these days due to their restructuring a couple years ago and I gather some of the East Asia section modules have been reduced and made into slightly more generic versions covering the whole region than specific countries - @umbrellala might know a bit more about that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending