The Student Room Group

How Many Hours Do You Study? (GCSEs)

I'm turning 16 next month and I'm in my final year of iGCSEs (I'm a foreign student). I have mocks in January and my actual exams are in late April - early May. I'd really like to get into Yale, and my mom always tells me I should study more. I agree with her; I do want top grades after all, but I lack motivation to really push myself to my limits, because where I live, none of my friends care. I can almost effortlessly surpass everyone in my year group and it gives me a false sense of security, which I've begun to realize is bad for me, hence why I decided to make this post.

How many hours do you study per day? Please be as specific and aggravating as possible. Bonus points if you also plan to go to Yale or an Ivy. I'm nearly halfway through the semester, which means I get a week long break, so I want to use that time to reflect on my half-semester grades and set a studying routine. Any feedback will be really helpful and much appreciated <33
Hey! Im also doing igcses, except ive split the exam over two years but here’s what i did anyway. After school i think studying 2 hours is plenty, to work on the subjects that you find difficult. On weekends i’d say 4 hours per day, but honestly just depends on ur level at the moment. But tbh it’s more about the amount and quality of the work/revision you’re doing, i usually set myself tasks to do rather than hours. Also for exams definitely do past papers, helps immensely for maths and science as they always repeat questions
That’s just what i like to do! Obviously i don’t always follow this , but i do try to stay on this timetable, sometimes we all deserve a break :smile:
Reply 2
You should be doing 3 hours on school nights and 6 hours a day at weekends.
Reply 3
Original post by unknown20001
Hey! Im also doing igcses, except ive split the exam over two years but here’s what i did anyway. After school i think studying 2 hours is plenty, to work on the subjects that you find difficult. On weekends i’d say 4 hours per day, but honestly just depends on ur level at the moment. But tbh it’s more about the amount and quality of the work/revision you’re doing, i usually set myself tasks to do rather than hours. Also for exams definitely do past papers, helps immensely for maths and science as they always repeat questions
That’s just what i like to do! Obviously i don’t always follow this , but i do try to stay on this timetable, sometimes we all deserve a break :smile:

Thank you so much for the response!! 2 hours sounds like a decent amount of hours to put in every day, especially when it comes to maths and science. I'm glad you also think that task-focused revision is just superior. Good luck on your exams & have a great day!
Reply 4
Original post by Flk10
You should be doing 3 hours on school nights and 6 hours a day at weekends.

That's a big step up from my current revision hours. Do you have any tips on what to do during those sessions? I know you can never study TOO much material, but I can't fill in the hours just by revising. I'd have to teach myself lessons ahead of time... would that really be worth it though? I just feel like that'd be a waste of time.
Original post by istudie
That's a big step up from my current revision hours. Do you have any tips on what to do during those sessions? I know you can never study TOO much material, but I can't fill in the hours just by revising. I'd have to teach myself lessons ahead of time... would that really be worth it though? I just feel like that'd be a waste of time.

You don't need to study 3 hours on weekdays and 6 hours on weekends this far away from GCSEs, but definitely look into efficient studying.

My general (efficient) study method:
This is for GCSE subjects, I don't worry so much about efficiency when studying additional content.

Before you learn a topic in class, pre-study the big picture. To put it simply, get a grasp of the main ideas.

A trick in class I like to use is writing down notes a few minutes after they've been said - instead of copying them from the board I'm actively retrieving them.

Also, when making notes try to make them as non-linear as possible - draw doodles and think about how different topics relate with each other.

If you walk home from school (or bus, car, anything really) you can do a mental overview of everything you've learnt that day, and when you get home you can put any illogical facts onto flashcards.

Now onto revision (my favourite part).
The only thing you need to do is interleave different study techniques: draw a mind map and use the Feynman technique to explain it; review your flashcards when promoted; watch videos and skim through the specification. Practice questions (specifically challenging ones) are also really important.

Closer to exam season you should work on your exam technique (ensure you know the specification and mark scheme).
Setting a specific study routine can vary based on individual needs and schedules. However, a general guideline could be:

Weekdays: Aim for 2-3 focused hours of studying after school, breaking it down into 25-30 minute sessions with short breaks in between. This helps maintain focus and prevent burnout.

Weekends: Allocate 3-4 hours on both days for more intensive study sessions, focusing on challenging subjects or topics that require more attention.

Revision Breaks: Take short breaks every 1-2 hours to relax and recharge your mind. Physical activity or a change of scenery can be refreshing.

Remember, quality matters more than quantity. Stay consistent, focus on understanding concepts, and practice actively. And always balance studying with relaxation and hobbies to avoid burnout. Best of luck with your exams and your Yale aspirations! 😊

Fatima
LSBU Rep

Original post by istudie
I'm turning 16 next month and I'm in my final year of iGCSEs (I'm a foreign student). I have mocks in January and my actual exams are in late April - early May. I'd really like to get into Yale, and my mom always tells me I should study more. I agree with her; I do want top grades after all, but I lack motivation to really push myself to my limits, because where I live, none of my friends care. I can almost effortlessly surpass everyone in my year group and it gives me a false sense of security, which I've begun to realize is bad for me, hence why I decided to make this post.

How many hours do you study per day? Please be as specific and aggravating as possible. Bonus points if you also plan to go to Yale or an Ivy. I'm nearly halfway through the semester, which means I get a week long break, so I want to use that time to reflect on my half-semester grades and set a studying routine. Any feedback will be really helpful and much appreciated <33
Original post by istudie

A good plan is to do 2 hours on school days , then 4 hours on the weekends. Although getting the higher grades are important, its just as important to take breaks so you don't burn yourself out. I did my GCSEs following this plan and I managed to get 7s and 8s. Practise exam questions. The main thing is to revise little and often, and you should do well. Good luck for your exams!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending