The Student Room Group

How is Brampton Manor and NCS

Im hoping to get in but im mostly predicted 7s and 8s with 2 9s so dont think i will tbh.
Is it true u hav to study like 4 hours a day
Do you still do PE bc i rlly wna do football or tabletennish:smile:
Reply 1
Assuming you are still in year 11. I can't speak for Brampton as I don't go there.
For NCS (Newham Collegiate) I believe the minimum was about 64 points this year from the sum of your 8 best GCSE's (someone please correct me if I am wrong). If you can work towards this you can apply and could get in. Besides, there's no harm in applying as you can apply to as many places as you like.
At NCS PE is not a subject - it's mainly science-based with some humanities subjects.
About studying - they set a requirement of doing 3 hours a day for your subjects with 5 hours on the weekends - no they can't verify how many hours you actually do but they really push that you should do this much atleast.
Honestly, though the amount you work can vary depending on the time of year - you could find yourself doing more than 4 hours near Mocks sometimes.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks for the reply
I meant PE as in like playing a sport every week, not studying it
how are you finding the intensity of the work so far, because thats what im most worried about

Original post by Okayn
Assuming you are still in year 11. I can't speak for Brampton as I don't go there.
For NCS (Newham Collegiate) I believe the minimum was about 64 points this year from the sum of your 8 best GCSE's (someone please correct me if I am wrong). If you can work towards this you can apply and could get in. Besides, there's no harm in applying as you can apply to as many places as you like.
At NCS PE is not a subject - it's mainly science-based with some humanities subjects.
About studying - they set a requirement of doing 3 hours a day for your subjects with 5 hours on the weekends - no they can't verify how many hours you actually do but they really push that you should do this much atleast.
Honestly, though the amount you work can vary depending on the time of year - you could find yourself doing more than 4 hours near Mocks sometimes.
Reply 3
Original post by brampton2023
Thanks for the reply
I meant PE as in like playing a sport every week, not studying it
how are you finding the intensity of the work so far, because thats what im most worried about

I have heard that some people play football together at a park nearby sometimes but I can't confirm nor deny if this is a regular thing because I've never went.
I have been here for a year now - the work can be hard sometimes for example near mocks. With good planning, you can keep up with work and still have enough time to do things/have spare time. When I was in year 11 - I applied to like 7 sixth forms but had NCS lingering in my mind as you probably have right now. When I got a space I got very worried about the work intensity and began questioning if it was really a good idea. A few weeks in I realised that I was stressing for no reason and the workload was something I could cope with. I would say - if you do manage to get the grades to get in you are probably good enough to keep up with the intensity.
The homework is really well structured which is nice and helps you fit everything in a timetable.
Teachers are also very supportive so if you do feel like you need help you can always ask.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by brampton2023
Im hoping to get in but im mostly predicted 7s and 8s with 2 9s so dont think i will tbh.
Is it true u hav to study like 4 hours a day
Do you still do PE bc i rlly wna do football or tabletennish:smile:

We have a recreation period in our timetable once a week and depending on which teacher is available you will have a mixture of extracurricular subjects you can choose from every term including football and table tennis. The school day is from 8.10am-2.55pm and as long as you have a predicted GPA of >6.5 and you get a real GPA of >7.5-6 then you will have a good chance of getting in.
Btw they don't force you to revise till 6 don't worry.
Goodluck
Reply 5
Original post by Okayn

Is that requirement 3 hours a night or does that include your frees? And is it 5 hours a day at weekends or 5 hours over Saturday and Sunday?
Reply 6
Original post by Flk10
Is that requirement 3 hours a night or does that include your frees? And is it 5 hours a day at weekends or 5 hours over Saturday and Sunday?

I think it may include private study periods (those are what you mean by "frees" right?) but it is worth checking with a teacher or someone else too. For Sat/Sun it is definitely 5 hours on each day and not across the entire weekend.
Has anyone received an invitation to the taster days for Newham Collegiate Sixth Form?
Reply 8
Yeah and for BMA too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending