The Student Room Group

A-Level Maths outside school alongside other A-Levels

Hi, going into Sixth form this September.
Just wondering is there any way I can do an A-Level Maths course outside of my Sixth Form (preferably some sort of in person tuition) that leads to predictor exams at the end of year 12 and the actual exam at the end of year 13?
Original post by hdas
Just wondering is there any way I can do an A-Level Maths course outside of my Sixth Form (preferably some sort of in person tuition) that leads to predictor exams at the end of year 12 and the actual exam at the end of year 13?

Sure. You can register with an exam board as a private candidate, then either study independently or find a private tutor to teach you.

When it comes to predicted grades, you'd need to have your private tutor email their prediction to your school, as they'll be providing all your predictions to UCAS.

Also, you'll need to find an exam centre to actually sit your Maths A level exams. This can't be your current school (as you can't be registered as a private candidate at an exam centre which you're also being taught at).
Reply 3
Original post by hdas

How many othrer A levels are you doing? Why don't you study it at school/college?
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
How many othrer A levels are you doing? Why don't you study it at school/college?

Doing 4 others but considering dropping 1 to ease the workload, and my GCSE maths grade didn't meet my Sixth form's requirement to take A level unfortunately
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
Sure. You can register with an exam board as a private candidate, then either study independently or find a private tutor to teach you.

When it comes to predicted grades, you'd need to have your private tutor email their prediction to your school, as they'll be providing all your predictions to UCAS.

Also, you'll need to find an exam centre to actually sit your Maths A level exams. This can't be your current school (as you can't be registered as a private candidate at an exam centre which you're also being taught at).

Thanks for this!! I really appreciate it. Do you know anywhere I could find a private tutor like that?
Reply 7
Original post by hdas
Doing 4 others but considering dropping 1 to ease the workload, and my GCSE maths grade didn't meet my Sixth form's requirement to take A level unfortunately

So what grade did you get? Will they let you start it on a trial basis?
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
So what grade did you get? Will they let you start it on a trial basis?

Got a 7.. the requirement was an 8 unfortunately and they won't let me start by trial
Original post by hdas
Thanks for this!! I really appreciate it. Do you know anywhere I could find a private tutor like that?

Unfortunately not. Google?
Reply 10
Original post by DataVenia
Unfortunately not. Google?

Do you know if any tutor will work, or are there specific tutors that teach you the whole A-Level independently rather than alongside school?
Original post by hdas
Got a 7.. the requirement was an 8 unfortunately and they won't let me start by trial

A grade 7 is more than adequate to do A level MAths - go somewhere that will allow you to take Maths. [I teach Maths and I've never heard of a school asking more than a grade 7]
Original post by hdas
Do you know if any tutor will work, or are there specific tutors that teach you the whole A-Level independently rather than alongside school?

Any A levels Maths tutor should be able to teach the whole A level syllabus, rather than just "topping-up" what's been learned in a school environment.

I'd have thought that is there was an issue, it'd be availability and cost. I don't know how much time you expect to spend with a tutor vs. learning independently, but an A level is designed to take 360 "guided learning hours". Have you checked prices for tutors in your area? Even if you only spend half of those 360 hours with a tutor, this approach is going to cost thousands. So if you can find a school / college which will accept you, as @Muttley79 suggests, that'd be a lot more cost effective.
Reply 13
Thank you all very much for your advice, I really appreciate it as it will have a big impact on my future. I will need to think over these points.
Original post by hdas
Thank you all very much for your advice, I really appreciate it as it will have a big impact on my future. I will need to think over these points.

I would like the time to thank you for asking for help when you needed it.
In 4 hours, you made a lot of progess
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 15
Original post by hdas

can you not find another sixth form because a grade 7 is the average requirement for many sixth forms
Reply 16
also i am in the same boat but I got a grade 6
It's worth considering likely outcomes.

https://prnt.sc/Bs3zaDRkoi6V

Schools and colleges require certain grades for very good reasons. Ideally, they'd like all their students to have grade 8 or 9 in maths at GCSE but money plays a part here too.
Reply 18
Original post by _Boomerang
It's worth considering likely outcomes.

https://prnt.sc/Bs3zaDRkoi6V

Schools and colleges require certain grades for very good reasons. Ideally, they'd like all their students to have grade 8 or 9 in maths at GCSE but money plays a part here too.

in that form it shows that grade 5 students that did a level maths have a better chance at getting A* than grade 6 and 7
Original post by sound-nod
in that form it shows that grade 5 students that did a level maths have a better chance at getting A* than grade 6 and 7

True but none of them (5,6 and 7) have much chance of getting an A* and in most cases you wouldn't be allowed to take A level maths with a grade 5 or 6 at GCSE. The thing I notice from that table is that with a grade 7 at GCSE maths you are most likely to get a C or a D at A level.

Quick Reply

Latest