The Student Room Group

Is it possible to achieve a grade 4 (C) in Maths IGCSE with only 3 months of study?

From scratch, as a mature student?

3 months to achieve a grade 4 (C)

Study time = between 1-4 hours per day (along side English Language)

Can this be done?
Original post by Ashleylaw

Can this be done?

The range is study time you've quoted ("between 1-4 hours per day") is quite large.

GCSE are normally expected to require about 120 "guided learning hours". Over three months, that means approximately 10 hours per week.

So yes, this can be done. However, it very much depends on your natural ability, and how quickly you're able to acquire new knowledge.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
The range is study time you've quoted ("between 1-4 hours per day") is quite large.

GCSE are normally expected to require about 120 "guided learning hours". Over three months, that means approximately 10 hours per week.

So yes, this can be done. However, it very much depends on your natural ability, and how quickly you're able to acquire new knowledge.

I appreciate this. I guess it all just comes down to how much we want it eh? But time-wise, it should be feasible.
I appreciate this. I guess it all just comes down to how much we want it eh? But time-wise, it should be feasible.

Exactly.
Reply 4

Can this be done?

Depends on what your current maths ability is. Have you failed GCSE Maths and you have a resit in November? If so and you got grade 1 or 2, there is no reason why you couldn’t push it up to a grade 4 with say a couple of hours per day.
Reply 5
Original post by lalexm
Depends on what your current maths ability is. Have you failed GCSE Maths and you have a resit in November? If so and you got grade 1 or 2, there is no reason why you couldn’t push it up to a grade 4 with say a couple of hours per day.

Basically a mature student who hasn't touched upon maths in many years. Never needed it tbh. But with a change of careers, I need a C.

Yes, Im probably at grade 1 or 2 if im being honest because like i said, ive not done any maths whatsoever.

However, with dedication, im confident i can do it and achieve a C.

Thanks for replying.
Reply 6
Basically a mature student who hasn't touched upon maths in many years. Never needed it tbh. But with a change of careers, I need a C.

Yes, Im probably at grade 1 or 2 if im being honest because like i said, ive not done any maths whatsoever.

However, with dedication, im confident i can do it and achieve a C.

Thanks for replying.

I think you can. By doing a bit of maths every day, it is surprising how quickly you can improve. The challenge might be actually learning the syllabus, especially if you are teaching yourself. Maybe try to learn it in the first 2 months if possible, and then spend the last 2 months practising questions.
Reply 7

Can this be done?

Hiya! Hope your well. Put simply the answer to your question is yes. Obviously with hard work and dedication anything's possible (pretty much).
As someone that'd recently done 4 maths GCSE exams the best advice I can give you is to simply practice. Now for context I do WJEC exam board which is different from English exam boards but the principle is still the same. The best thing to do is to pull up you specification and identify what you do know and what you don't know. Another important thig is to understand the grade boundaries of your respective exam boards. A C is a c whether you get a high or a low one. If you can do past papers and consistently score C minimum you're doing well. Leading me on to last bit of advice. As soon as you understanding the above get to doing past papers. It's not a stretch at all to say practice makes purpose especially for maths. Past papers are a holy grail and help you understand how and what sort of questions could be asked in the real exam. All in all it can be done especially if you're dedicating 1-4 hours a day. Whatever happens I wish you the best!
(edited 9 months ago)
Yes. I’m doing 2-3 hours a day, sometimes a bit more. I’ve gone up one grade so far averaging at a 5 with a few 6s. I want to be get a 7 or higher. I have until Sep and the enrolment last date for Nov exams.

Ps. I’m an adult doing home study and independent exam at an exam centre.
Reply 9

Can this be done?

You can do it!! I'm a mature student and had to get science to start my teacher training in September, I studied hard and got a grade 8!

Good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest