The Student Room Group

should i take history as an a level

i love history at gcse, but i’ve heard that there is soooo much more content at a level that a lot of people find difficult.

i’m predicted a 9 for history, and i find it SO interesting - no matter what unit i’m doing. i’m relatively decent at essays - and i’m sure with practice i’d be able to write amazing ones - so the papers aren’t an issue for me.

as im taking maths and fm at a level(and hopefully maths at uni) i kind of want something to break it up. also probably taking physics as im good at it and as its closely linked with maths.

i honestly just want to continue learning about history, and as 2 of my a levels won’t be particularly content heavy i’m sure i’d be able to handle it.

but im between this and econ as an essay based subject, as i want to take as least one of them to try and diversify my a levels and make it so im not JUST doing maths (even tho i happily would)

but if anyone who takes history (& maths) has any commentary on how manageable the workload is id appreciate it so much !
Original post by lc_007
i love history at gcse, but i’ve heard that there is soooo much more content at a level that a lot of people find difficult.

i’m predicted a 9 for history, and i find it SO interesting - no matter what unit i’m doing. i’m relatively decent at essays - and i’m sure with practice i’d be able to write amazing ones - so the papers aren’t an issue for me.

as im taking maths and fm at a level(and hopefully maths at uni) i kind of want something to break it up. also probably taking physics as im good at it and as its closely linked with maths.

i honestly just want to continue learning about history, and as 2 of my a levels won’t be particularly content heavy i’m sure i’d be able to handle it.

but im between this and econ as an essay based subject, as i want to take as least one of them to try and diversify my a levels and make it so im not JUST doing maths (even tho i happily would)

but if anyone who takes history (& maths) has any commentary on how manageable the workload is id appreciate it so much !

I take history, maths,fm and economics at college. Got grade 9 in maths and history so I come from a similar perspective as you.
I also loved history in high school not everything but most things. At college , it’s so much better than I even expected. The topics are more interesting, the teaching is way more in depth, the pace isn’t too much faster there’s just a lot of content. Think about the Elizabeth gcse topic or a topic of a similar size-I’d say 3 weeks in that’s the amount of content we’ve done (but it’s amazing if you love history). I can handle the content and essays and I presume you can if you’re predicted a 9 -I wouldn’t consider it an easy subject nor my hardest but it’s definitely my favourite.

On maths, I do double maths which is as difficult as people say and then some (especially because people on the student room are freakishly smart -doing maths and fm is not like doing 1.5 a levels, honestly, it feels like 2.5 a levels). On the one hand, fm is great because I finally feel like the lessons are the perfect level of challenge for me . But to put that in perspective-I got a grade 9 in and end of year 9 maths mock and I am just about getting by in further maths. The lessons aren’t too hard but the teacher assessments are crazy difficult and the amount of homework takes up a lot of my afternoons. It’s definitely very interesting doing further maths but I can’t understate how hard it has been for me and how much I feel like maths is my life(unfortunately I don’t love maths enough to enjoy that). If you love maths/are great at it, yes do further maths. But if you’re not getting a grade 9 at gcse easily by now I would seriously advise against it
Original post by lc_007

You also mentioned econ as an essay based subject. I personally love econ and find the content super interesting but I feel like the a level econ so far is padded out with so much waffle compared to history . For example, in history I could have written 30-40 marks worth of content for the exam I did worth 20 marks, with minimal revision. For my economics exam, I felt like I was waffling for most of my exam and whilst it is early in the course so we don’t know much(and what we do learn is super interesting) I feel like history is a much better essay subject unless you want to do economics at university like me.
Anyway I do the 4 subjects that you’re currently considering between so if you have any questions about it just ask .

Based on what I know about you, I’d recommend history, maths and further maths-but only if you’re a maths whiz.
All the subjects I do are great and no regrets.
Just read about you doing physics as well as a 4th. I think your reasoning for doing history is great and you’d love it at a level . And it’s fine to start with 4 a levels . But when you start college , do not disregard the idea of dropping an a level , it’s perfectly fine and 4 a levels is a lot , like a lot .
Original post by lc_007

Most 6th forms/colleges let you swap subjects in the first couple of weeks if need be. Pick history, then if you realise you dont like it you can always swap it.

Quick Reply

Latest