The Student Room Group

can they check the "did your parents go to uni" question?

if i ticked the my parents didnt go to uni box would they be able to actually check if they did or not
Original post by millieferguson
if i ticked the my parents didnt go to uni box would they be able to actually check if they did or not

Hopefully.
Reply 2

Why would you lie and risk your application being declared fraudulent?
Reply 3
Yes they can check.
Reply 4
I imagine this would actually be quite difficult to check. So the is likely answer is it is assessed in context of you overall application for credibility and relevance. Similar to assessing people’s answers at interview where there is typically no way to know if they are spoofing. In any events I don’t imagine it makes a big difference to the application and it would be low to lie about it
What benefit do you think you will gain from lying?
Only apply to Universities where you are likely to meet the entry requirements. If you have to do so by lying then you are not good enough
Everyone seems to be assuming the OP wants to lie. Maybe they don't know.

My dad walked out on us when I was 3, I only found out years later when he died he had gone to Uni
Original post by ChiefBrody
Everyone seems to be assuming the OP wants to lie. Maybe they don't know.

My dad walked out on us when I was 3, I only found out years later when he died he had gone to Uni

“Don’t know”/not known is one of the possible answers that they can put if they don’t know.
Reply 9

UCAS ask for it statistical reason. They probably won’t check, but makes zero sense to risk it for no gain.
Reply 10

Self-report: This is the most common method where individuals answer this question on surveys, applications, or forms. It relies on the honesty of the respondent.

Background checks: Employers, educational institutions, or organizations may conduct background checks or verification processes to confirm the educational background of individuals, which may include checking if their parents attended university.

Official records: In some cases, universities or educational institutions may maintain records of alumni, which could include information about the educational background of an individual's parents if they also attended the same institution.

Family information: Some countries or regions maintain census or demographic data that might include information about the educational attainment of parents, which can be used to verify this information on a broader scale.
Reply 11
I am not sure how it could be accurately checked.
I imagine it's very difficult to check given that most of the current uni generation's parents went to uni before internet was even a thing and so maybe only paper records would exist, most of which have probably been long lost or destroyed by now.
Reply 13
Original post by Cote1

You are being confident, there is no such thing, nothing will happen, it will be checked
Original post by buggle
You are being confident, there is no such thing, nothing will happen, it will be checked

The main benefit of this question is for contextual offers but that is in relatively few universities. Is it worth lying if found out out they will be thrown off the course. Most leading universities dont include this for contextual offers.
Original post by swanseajack1
The main benefit of this question is for contextual offers but that is in relatively few universities. Is it worth lying if found out out they will be thrown off the course. Most leading universities dont include this for contextual offers.

Here is an example from Bristol who dont use it.

You may be eligible for a contextual offer if one of the following statements applies to you:

You have attended an aspiring state school or college

You live in an area with low progression to higher education

You have completed a University of Bristol outreach programme

You have spent time in care

You attend a Venturers Trust secondary school

You receive (or have received) free school meals
Original post by PQ
What benefit do you think you will gain from lying?

literally who said i was going to lie can a gal not ask a question
literally who said i was going to lie can a gal not ask a question

If you weren’t considering lying then why would it matter if your response is verified?

And the point of my question is: if a university uses something to influence offer making then it will be verified, if they don’t then there’s no point in lying.
(edited 6 months ago)
I suppose it's unlikely, but they might check some randomly - they would be able to see if either of your parents had previously had student finance, if applying from the UK and your parents are part of your student finance application. I don't think many universities would give a contextual offer on the basis of this question though.
Original post by Cote1

It can't - they don't have the parents details and more importantly they don't have the permission of the parent to run a background/academic check. UCAS use this for their own analysis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending