The Student Room Group

How many quotes? Eng Lit GCSE

Hello, i was just wondering how many quotes i should learn for each character. i am in the process of making mind maps for the characters and themes, but im not sure on the amount of quotes i should learn.:s-smilie: How many are you/ did you learn for the exam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Milly01
Hello, i was just wondering how many quotes i should learn for each character. i am in the process of making mind maps for the characters and themes, but im not sure on the amount of quotes i should learn.:s-smilie: How many are you/ did you learn for the exam?

Hi :smile:

I did my GCSEs last year (my brother is doing them this year) and it's not necessarily about the number you remember, as you will undoubtedly forget a few before the exam starts. I'd say try to pick quotes that can be used in more than one scenario (i.e. that aren't linked to specific events but can be interpreted in different ways), that way, you don't have to remember as many but you have enough to cover yourself regardless of the question.

I suppose if you want a guide to work off, maybe 4 per character is enough, provided they can fit in easily to your writing :smile:

Hope this helps and good luck with your GCSEs - plus, you can PM me if you need any help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by brainzistheword

I did my GCSEs last year (my brother is doing them this year) and it's not necessarily about the number you remember, as you will undoubtedly forget a few before the exam starts. I'd say try to pick quotes that can be used in more than one scenario (i.e. that aren't linked to specific events but can be interpreted in different ways), that way, you don't have to remember as many but you have enough to cover yourself regardless of the question.

I suppose if you want a guide to work off, maybe 4 per character is enough, provided they can fit in easily to your writing :smile:

Hope this helps and good luck with your GCSEs - plus, you can PM me if you need any help :smile:

ill try and find quotes which match a theme and character. thank you for your help.:smile:
Original post by Milly01
ill try and find quotes which match a theme and character. thank you for your help.:smile:

Sounds like a good plan! No problem :smile:
I try to learn around 5 per character depending on if they are a main character or a minor one which has worked well for my mock exams so far. Try to pick quotes which are good for themes as well as characters so you can learn less quotes but have good quality ones :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by PumpkinCastle
I try to learn around 5 per character depending on if they are a main character or a minor one which has worked well for my mock exams so far. Try to pick quotes which are good for themes as well as characters so you can learn less quotes but have good quality ones :smile:

Ok thank you!:smile:
The website called 'Memrise' is excellent. Fast, reliable, efficient. I learned all my quotes through it, way better than repeatedly writing them out.
Keep them short; just two or three words will sometimes do.
In the exam, if you can't remember them completely you can paraphrase.
The examiner will know that you don't have the text. The exam is more about your understanding of the text (and why the author wrote it) than your ability to memorise lots of words. Quotes are great, but if you understand the text really well you can get a good grade without lots of them. You can't get a good grade by using lots of quotes but having little understanding.
Original post by brainzistheword

Which quotes did you use for each text(e.g. lord of the flies, macbeth, etc.)?
(edited 5 years ago)
Which quotes did you memorise for each novel/play?
Original post by pancakesbob7
Which quotes did you memorise for each novel/play?

What novels and plays are you studying?
Macbeth, Lord of the Flies and Frankenstein
What novels and plays are you studying?
Original post by pancakesbob7
Macbeth, Lord of the Flies and Frankenstein

Here are the main quotes I learned for Macbeth and Lord of the Flies - I don't think I learnt many more than these ones as I had to learn loads of other ones for poetry so didn't want to overload myself. I hope these can help you a bit in your revision :smile:
Thank you so much!!

Here are the main quotes I learned for Macbeth and Lord of the Flies - I don't think I learnt many more than these ones as I had to learn loads of other ones for poetry so didn't want to overload myself. I hope these can help you a bit in your revision :smile:
Would you be able to send me a link to the course you made for your english quotes?
Original post by Knowledge_Is_Key
The website called 'Memrise' is excellent. Fast, reliable, efficient. I learned all my quotes through it, way better than repeatedly writing them out.
What grade did u get?
So do you mean 4 quotes each character
Reply 17

These were incredibly helpful, thank you SO much!
Original post by rtobez
These were incredibly helpful, thank you SO much!

bro what grade did you get?? i found some good advice here as i myself im doing my gcse aqa test wanted to see if this worked for you?
Reply 19
Original post by OneAutumnLea
bro what grade did you get?? i found some good advice here as i myself im doing my gcse aqa test wanted to see if this worked for you?

i actually haven’t done my exam yet, i’m in year 11 right now and i’m doing eduqas but i was just trying to get a head start on some revision. hopefully it does work for me or i’m kinda screwed lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending