The Student Room Group

Car insurance for new drivers

Hi, I'm 19 and I've just passed my practical driving test and I'm struggling to find an insurance company that won't charge like £11,000 to insure me :') I have a 2018 Citroen C4 and I dont want black box insurance - DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY RELATIVELY CHEAP INSURANCE COMPANIES THAT WOULD INSURE ME??
Are you able to have someone like your parents as the main driver, and you recorded as a "named" driver? This is what I did when I first passed my test when I was 17 (was a few years back now)...

Other things to consider (although as it was a few years ago for me now, things may have changed in regards to how insurance companies work out quotes?) -

Having an older car (mine was 16 years old)

Being registered to an address in a low crime area (probably not something you have much control over though?!)

Parked in a garage, or at least off road, overnight

Having others registered as named drivers, as this looks as though you're driving it less, so less of a risk for the insurance companies.

If I remember rightly, I had Admiral for my first year's insurance, and all of the above applied to me. I think it was about £1,300 for the year. No black box. Prices have likely gone up in these years though.
(edited 1 year ago)
Moved to Cars and motoring
Original post by emma2969
Hi, I'm 19 and I've just passed my practical driving test and I'm struggling to find an insurance company that won't charge like £11,000 to insure me :') I have a 2018 Citroen C4 and I dont want black box insurance - DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY RELATIVELY CHEAP INSURANCE COMPANIES THAT WOULD INSURE ME??

Add your parents or someone as a named driver (you still as the main driver) as this brings the price down.

Use comparison websites. You can get a lot of different prices from different companies on these sites. Check more than one comparison site though. You may get cheaper quotes on one website than another, and different companies my be on different comparison sites. Good comparison sites include compare the market, money supermarket, go compare and confused.com.

Some companies (e.g. Direct line and Churchill) aren't on comparison sites. Check with these companies directly to see what prices and offers they come up with.

Fully comprehensive insurance can actually work out cheaper than third party fire and theft, even though fully comprehensive covers more. This is because those getting third party fire and theft insurance can be considered riskier by the insurance companies, hence the higher price. Check the price for both to see what works out cheapest.

Wherever possible, pay your car insurance in full rather than paying monthly. Paying in full is cheaper due to the interest you pay if you pay monthly. Plus the fact that once you have paid for the year, it's all done and out of the way.

Try tweaking things like the amount of miles you do per year and where you keep the car at night (e.g. on the road, drive, garage), different ways to describe your job etc to see what works out cheaper. Obviously don't lie though.

If you havent already got a car- try getting quotes for different cars to see what cars work out cheaper for you.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Dont put someone else as the main driver and you as just a named driver (like the above poster suggested). It is called fronting and is actually illegal. If found out your insurance company can cancel your insurance (which can make it difficult to get insurance in future) and your insurance can refuse to pay out in the event of a claim.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Having parents as main driver is called ‘fronting’ and is illegal if you own the car and are the real main driver.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Versions
Are you able to have someone like your parents as the main driver, and you recorded as a "named" driver? This is what I did when I first passed my test when I was 17 (was a few years back now)...

Other things to consider (although as it was a few years ago for me now, things may have changed in regards to how insurance companies work out quotes?) -

Being registered to an address in a low crime area (probably not something you have much control over though?!)

Having others registered as named drivers, as this looks as though you're driving it less, so less of a risk for the insurance companies.

If I remember rightly, I had Admiral for my first year's insurance, and all of the above applied to me. I think it was about £1,300 for the year. No black box. Prices have likely gone up in these years though.

NO. Dont do this.
It is called fronting and is actually illegal. If found out your insurance company can cancel your insurance (which can make it difficult to get insurance in future) and your insurance can refuse to pay out in the event of a claim.

All of your advice is automatically irrelevant given you just tried to shill fronting as advice. What are you advising on here? How to drive with invalid insurance? How to end up paying £1000s if you crash into the back of someone, contact your insurance company, they realise you're fronting so they cancel your insurance and then you need to pay to repair the other vehicle? What if OP is a student? Or someone on low income? How to be in unmanageable debt until you're 27 because you listened to someone on TSR telling you to front yourself on an insurance policy? Will the money you save then be worth it? Is that the deal?

What exactly are you aiming to do here with your advice? How is it helpful? Why did you waste your time writing all of the other nonsense out when your first go-to piece of advice was "hey OP, here's how to invalidate your insurance policy - don't worry, I did it too so you can trust me!".

Unreal.
(edited 1 year ago)
Lol you guys 😅

This is an advice forum with suggestions, not formal legal advice.

All I know is back in my day, the price was absolutely ridiculous for the first year, and I had people willing to help out to ease that financial pain.

Yes there are risks and essentially I guess it's illegal, but I'm sure as hell I wasn't the only person who ever did this. You'll only get caught as far as I'm concerned if some fraud team start spying on you and watching your every move to definitely conclude with evidence that you're not a "named" driver, but in fact the "main" driver.

However no, if we are playing by all the rules of life, do not follow my advice.

Good luck with whatever you do.

You can also get caught if you have an accident. Insurance companies arent as stupid as you think they are. They can and will find out. They are quite good at not paying out when they dont have to.

Plus doing it that way you don't build any no claims.

At least if you do it the legal way and be the main driver yourself you build up no claims which brings your premiums down next year.
Reply 8
Lol you guys 😅

This is an advice forum with suggestions, not formal legal advice.

All I know is back in my day, the price was absolutely ridiculous for the first year, and I had people willing to help out to ease that financial pain.

Yes there are risks and essentially I guess it's illegal, but I'm sure as hell I wasn't the only person who ever did this. You'll only get caught as far as I'm concerned if some fraud team start spying on you and watching your every move to definitely conclude with evidence that you're not a "named" driver, but in fact the "main" driver.

However no, if we are playing by all the rules of life, do not follow my advice.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Insurance companies do investigate, especially when it’s a young driver involved in an accident. They will simply find out what other vehicles are owned and insured by the parents, work out that the older more basic vehicle is the one used by the child of the house and invalidate the insurance!
Best just to take fully comp insurance in your own name and add a parent as a named driver, or get insurance based on mile driven. This latter solution reduced my daughters insurance from £6K for a Toyota Yaris down to £1.4K with yearly mileage of about 4000 miles.
Reply 9
Original post by Emma:-)

Add your parents or someone as a named driver (you still as the main driver) as this brings the price down.

Use comparison websites. You can get a lot of different prices from different companies on these sites. Check more than one comparison site though. You may get cheaper quotes on one website than another, and different companies my be on different comparison sites. Good comparison sites include compare the market, money supermarket, go compare and confused.com.

Some companies (e.g. Direct line and Churchill) aren't on comparison sites. Check with these companies directly to see what prices and offers they come up with.

Fully comprehensive insurance can actually work out cheaper than third party fire and theft, even though fully comprehensive covers more. This is because those getting third party fire and theft insurance can be considered riskier by the insurance companies, hence the higher price. Check the price for both to see what works out cheapest.

Wherever possible, pay your car insurance in full rather than paying monthly. Paying in full is cheaper due to the interest you pay if you pay monthly. Plus the fact that once you have paid for the year, it's all done and out of the way.

Try tweaking things like the amount of miles you do per year and where you keep the car at night (e.g. on the road, drive, garage), different ways to describe your job etc to see what works out cheaper. Obviously don't lie though.

If you havent already got a car- try getting quotes for different cars to see what cars work out cheaper for you.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Dont put someone else as the main driver and you as just a named driver (like the above poster suggested). It is called fronting and is actually illegal. If found out your insurance company can cancel your insurance (which can make it difficult to get insurance in future) and your insurance can refuse to pay out in the event of a claim.

Thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 10
why is insurance mandatory in the UK? It feels like such a scam.
Reply 11
It’s got little do do with the damage you cause to your own vehicle and everything to do with the harm you may cause to someone else. If you cause not only material damage but also physical harm to a third party would you be in a position to provide that person with the compensation they deserve? Sometimes accidents can result in hundreds of thousands being paid out depending on the activity of the person harmed. A top surgeon unable to stand due to back ache, a barrister with memory problems following concussion. Could you compensate them for 20 or so years of loss of earnings?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending