The Student Room Group

entitlement query

Hi SF,

I believe SF can typically be granted for: Length of course + 1 year, minus any previous study years. Is this correct?

For example, for a vet science/medicine course of 5 years this could be: 5 + 1 = 6 years entitlement (minus previous study).

My query is relating to what the previous study looks like. For example, my previous study looks like this:

- Left school, started a FT Hons degree, but left after a week (Self funded, got my money back).

- Studied HNC PT, day release over 2 years - Completed this. (Employer paid for this).

- Studied HND FT - Left second term (Got SF for this).

As far as I can work out, SF consider the PT and FT study the same when working out entitlement for future FT courses? Therefore the above would count as 4 years of previous study? Could you please confirm this?

In the above example, say I was studying Vet science (5 years), would all of the 4 years be taken away from the entitlement, or just the 1 year at honours degree level?

Also, would the entitlement be taken away from just the course loan, or would maintenance loan for these years be lost also?

Many thanks for your help.
Original post by wardheed
Hi SF,

I believe SF can typically be granted for: Length of course + 1 year, minus any previous study years. Is this correct?

For example, for a vet science/medicine course of 5 years this could be: 5 + 1 = 6 years entitlement (minus previous study).

My query is relating to what the previous study looks like. For example, my previous study looks like this:

- Left school, started a FT Hons degree, but left after a week (Self funded, got my money back).

- Studied HNC PT, day release over 2 years - Completed this. (Employer paid for this).

- Studied HND FT - Left second term (Got SF for this).

As far as I can work out, SF consider the PT and FT study the same when working out entitlement for future FT courses? Therefore the above would count as 4 years of previous study? Could you please confirm this?

In the above example, say I was studying Vet science (5 years), would all of the 4 years be taken away from the entitlement, or just the 1 year at honours degree level?

Also, would the entitlement be taken away from just the course loan, or would maintenance loan for these years be lost also?

Many thanks for your help.

Hi there,

We'd need to access your account to check the previous study and confirm your eligibility for a new course. If you're able to contact us via the live chat in your account or on 0300 100 0607 we'll look into this and check your new course, the length and further assist. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Ok thanks
Ok thanks

You're welcome. Have a good day. Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Hi, Is the only definitive way to see how much finance you could receive, to actually log an application (even though you have no intention of studying that year)?
Hi, Is the only definitive way to see how much finance you could receive, to actually log an application (even though you have no intention of studying that year)?

Hi there,

You can also check the calculator here https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Thanks. Also, as long as I have not achieved a degree. I would still likely get maintenance loan for all of the years of a course, even if I was not entitled to all of the Tuition loan?
Thanks. Also, as long as I have not achieved a degree. I would still likely get maintenance loan for all of the years of a course, even if I was not entitled to all of the Tuition loan?

Hi there,

Yes, if you're studying a full time course and physically attending a university and don't have a qualification you'd still be eligible for the maintenance loan. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending