The Student Room Group

Advice please ??

Hi it seems I'm not the only one suffering at the minute with irritable bowel syndrome/ stomach problems with a few recent posts about it . I wondered if anyone could help with my symptoms not had an official diagnosis but I'm pretty sure it's ibs as I'm having much more frequent bowel movements. Hope someone can please help me as I don't want to carry on spending my mornings in the bathroom. Can anyone advice as to what would help with these symptoms and what foods I should / shouldn't be eating. Thanks again

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi it seems I'm not the only one suffering at the minute with irritable bowel syndrome/ stomach problems with a few recent posts about it . I wondered if anyone could help with my symptoms not had an official diagnosis but I'm pretty sure it's ibs as I'm having much more frequent bowel movements. Hope someone can please help me as I don't want to carry on spending my mornings in the bathroom. Can anyone advice as to what would help with these symptoms and what foods I should / shouldn't be eating. Thanks again

You need to go to your GP and confirm its IBS. There are plenty of other ailments that can present as IBS but are not. No one should or would give you medical or IBS informed lifestyle advice, as it could make things much much worse particularly as you have not actually confirmed what it is yet.

Good luck,

Greg
Reply 2
Original post by greg tony
You need to go to your GP and confirm its IBS. There are plenty of other ailments that can present as IBS but are not. No one should or would give you medical or IBS informed lifestyle advice, as it could make things much much worse particularly as you have not actually confirmed what it is yet.

Good luck,

Greg

Thankyou I just feel really embarrassed going as it's probably nothing but feel like it's been going on too long now .
Reply 3
Thankyou I just feel really embarrassed going as it's probably nothing but feel like it's been going on too long now .

Totally get that, it is a embarrassing, but really only to us. Doctors get things like this multiple times a day/week, so they wont find it embarrassing at all.

Better to feel silly and get some answers rather than guess though and potentially make things worse.

Good luck at the GP.

Greg
Reply 4

As above, see a GP.
Also, different people respond differently to different types of foods. It might be worth keeping a food and symptom diary to help you and your GP work out things that might trigger your symptoms :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by bl0bf1sh
As above, see a GP.
Also, different people respond differently to different types of foods. It might be worth keeping a food and symptom diary to help you and your GP work out things that might trigger your symptoms :smile:

Thankyou i will give it a try, I am normally worse in a morning and improve as the day goes on by mid day I feel much better but the next morning will be back to feeling the same . Is it normal to have the worst symptoms first thing in a morning after waking up ?
Reply 6
Thankyou i will give it a try, I am normally worse in a morning and improve as the day goes on by mid day I feel much better but the next morning will be back to feeling the same . Is it normal to have the worst symptoms first thing in a morning after waking up ?

Are you stressed at all.Anxiety can cause these types of symptoms.We have a second nervous system in the stomach which is triggered by stress How long has it been going on for?Colpermin would be worth a try as it won't do any harm and may calm gut down.
Reply 7
Original post by Scotney
Are you stressed at all.Anxiety can cause these types of symptoms.We have a second nervous system in the stomach which is triggered by stress How long has it been going on for?Colpermin would be worth a try as it won't do any harm and may calm gut down.

Not particularly stressed no and don't feel anxious. Maybe its a nervous thing as It's been going on a while but never taken much notice to it but recently I seem to have been having more frequent bowel movements at least 3 - 4 every morning either straight after waking up or soon after eating breakfast never affected me any other times in the day though that's why I'm confused.
Reply 8
Not particularly stressed no and don't feel anxious. Maybe its a nervous thing as It's been going on a while but never taken much notice to it but recently I seem to have been having more frequent bowel movements at least 3 - 4 every morning either straight after waking up or soon after eating breakfast never affected me any other times in the day though that's why I'm confused.

Well the reason it calms down is because your bowels are empty after that many trips to the loo.As I said try Colpermin it is just peppermint oil as it has calming properties also acidophilus
Supplements are good for gut health generally.Ps I am not a heath supplement fanatic just found these things have helped me after many trial and error attempts.
How long has it been happening and are you losing weight?
Reply 9
Thanks for the advice no not losing weight just loose/ watery stools not really bad diarrhoea sorry for too much info . I've had a sensitive stomach for a while but never been going to the toilet as much as recently.
Reply 10
Thanks for the advice no not losing weight just loose/ watery stools not really bad diarrhoea sorry for too much info . I've had a sensitive stomach for a while but never been going to the toilet as much as recently.

Well I would try the things I suggested and if things do not improve after three weeks go and have a chat to your GP.
Reply 11
Thankyou for all the advice hopefully it will improve
Reply 12
Original post by Scotney
Well I would try the things I suggested and if things do not improve after three weeks go and have a chat to your GP.

Sorry I forgot to ask did the colpermin help to slow down your bowel movements just wondered if it would work for me ?
Reply 13

Keep a diary of what you eat and how often you go to the toilet and go see a GP. Don’t change anything, just record what you eat to make it easier for the GP to diagnose.
Reply 14
Sorry I forgot to ask did the colpermin help to slow down your bowel movements just wondered if it would work for me ?

Just calmed things down.It does not stop you going to the loo like something like immodium would.
Reply 15

My daughter has IBS, and the doctor recommended Buscopan, which has helped. Go see a GP though, as I could just be another internet loon given bad advice😀
Reply 16
Original post by lalexm
Keep a diary of what you eat and how often you go to the toilet and go see a GP. Don’t change anything, just record what you eat to make it easier for the GP to diagnose.

Thankyou I will try to
Reply 17
Original post by lalexm
My daughter has IBS, and the doctor recommended Buscopan, which has helped. Go see a GP though, as I could just be another internet loon given bad advice😀

Thankyou I appreciate the help and advice I don't feel ill just doesn't seem to matter what I eat it just upsets my stomach.
Reply 18
Thankyou I appreciate the help and advice I don't feel ill just doesn't seem to matter what I eat it just upsets my stomach.

It could well be a food intolerance. The more common ones are lactose intolerance and glucose intolerance, but there are others. Although less likely, it could also be something more sinister. Make a food diary and see a GP.
Reply 19
Original post by lalexm
It could well be a food intolerance. The more common ones are lactose intolerance and glucose intolerance, but there are others. Although less likely, it could also be something more sinister. Make a food diary and see a GP.

Thankyou I'm going to do I know it's difficult to diagnose especially when I feel fine in myself . It is better to write the food diary based on what I ate the night before? As most of the time I'm having the runs soon after waking up and sometimes I've not eaten anything yet.

Quick Reply

Latest