The Student Room Group

how could anyone be pro-israel?

Scroll to see replies

1. Let's agree, both sides haven't been very nice to each other in the past.
2. On this occasion the action of the military wing (apparently not sanctioned by the political wing who reportedly mostly live outside of the area) was one designed to strike terror. It has provoked worldwide feelings of revulsion and disgust.
3. Whatever has happened in the past cannot and does not justify what happened. No "What about" or "But they did this first".

and so to go back to the original question, people can be Pro-Israel in this situation because it was a terrorist act, even if more generally they might have been sympathetic to the Palestinian cause.
Reply 21
Original post by hagi1354
This comment effectively is screaming that all of the Palestinians are in favour of Hams when this is far from the truth. Regardless of if a war is commited, you cant' justify the use of war crimes and the banning of basic supplies such as food and water which is killing much more innocent people. At the end of the day, more innocent palestinians have been murdered than the Israelis throughout the war, its not really a moral sacrifice but just basic human empathy really.

With regards to having a fair claim- This I agree but they do not have fair claim to territory that was given to palestinians. I'm talking post 1945, forget about the ones before. But a clear divide was made and in the end te Israelis disobeyed from that divide. Thats just facts.

When did Isreal disobey a divide?
Reply 22
Original post by da_nolo
When did Isreal disobey a divide?

When they started making settlements on land that is not theirs
Original post by Anonymous
so i am not palestinian but i would define myself as pro-palestine. i feel as if i have educated myself widely enough to understand what is happening in gaza currently and what has been happening for years. i will not explain what is happening as that would stray away from why i made this discussion. the reason i made this discussion is because i've been seeing alot of celebrities or people with a wide platform staying silent to this issue or posting 'praying for israel' on their social media platforms. and i genuinely sat down on my desk and thought... 'am i missing something here?' how could someone be pro-israel, i'd like an explanation. i understand this issue has been happening for years, way before i was born, but people are using the hamas as an excuse to victimise israel. what did people expect? palestine was just going sit back, relax and allow their people to be killed and ethnically cleansed? anyways, could someone explain to me why anyone would be pro-israel?

I'm not fully educated on the whole subject, I know the main bits of it but i think a large part of it is the media. I think the media does just brainwash people as its just bias. For example, my mother has some family in Russia(this was during the whole russia and ukraine thing) and my mum had to keep updating them on what was also happening on the other side, not just Russia - bc the media was being more biased and it was hard to find information for both sides. I think its the same for this, people will blindly follow the media without any question bc they think its 100% reliable.
OFC im not saying that every single person who is pro-israel is brainwashed by the media, but i have seen a fair share of people having argument's and the person who is pro-israel realizes whats happening.
It's extremely saddening to see people who support without being the most slightly informed about whats going on, on both sides and i dont know why they wouldnt do that. The whole thing is so upsetting to see
Reply 24
Original post by TomokoRainMaker
The whole thing is so upsetting to see

Don't look?
so i am not palestinian but i would define myself as pro-palestine. i feel as if i have educated myself widely enough to understand what is happening in gaza currently and what has been happening for years. i will not explain what is happening as that would stray away from why i made this discussion. the reason i made this discussion is because i've been seeing alot of celebrities or people with a wide platform staying silent to this issue or posting 'praying for israel' on their social media platforms. and i genuinely sat down on my desk and thought... 'am i missing something here?' how could someone be pro-israel, i'd like an explanation. i understand this issue has been happening for years, way before i was born, but people are using the hamas as an excuse to victimise israel. what did people expect? palestine was just going sit back, relax and allow their people to be killed and ethnically cleansed? anyways, could someone explain to me why anyone would be pro-israel?

I have moved your thread to a more appropriate place, as the news & current affairs section is only used for the sharing of news articles.
Reply 26
Original post by hagi1354
When they started making settlements on land that is not theirs

What land is not theirs? Who claims the land is not theirs? Why does Isreal need or should follow such land claims?

I looked up different parts to this claim.
Found following exchange:

https://politics.stackexchange.com/questions/1838/why-does-israel-build-settlements-in-palestine

Not able to paste content, but all of it is legible and possess resources for evidence.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Napp
At the end of the day, this argyument always boils down to one phrase, 'Israel has a right to exist', the only issue is no one has ever actually provided a decent reason (aside from not permitting them to be driven into the sea) as to why Israel has a right to exist, or at least there. Anicent history not being any sort of a claim on modern land after all, lest we be a province of Rome.
As to the UN, we all know that their say on the matter is beneath contempt for all parties.

I find that whole notion of a nation having a right to exist to be a rather empty one. The idea of certain states having a right to exist and others not is just a rather questionable matter of opinion. Israel does exist, it has a right to protect its existence, it came into existence like most other nations with some form of declaration of independence and a war in which they carved out the land for themselves against the people who would rather they didn’t. That’s the only real fact in the case of Israels “right to exist” and anything else like “historical right” is simply arbitrary.

propaganda broski propaganda
Because navigation tactics makes no sense on the other end.
Kidnapping and taking hostages is suppose to accomplish and solve what.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Rakas21
1) Palestinians are not being ethnically cleansed. Indeed, those in Gaza have the highest fertility rate of any group in Israel.

2) Hamas is the political arm of a terrorist organization and frequently makes unprovoked attacks upon Israel and has stated that they wish to eradicate Israel.

3) Hamas is essentially a dictatorship that has not held free and fair elections since 2007 when they came to power.

4) Israel is a wealthy market democracy in a sea of theocracies and failed states.

5) Israel is much more alligned with the western world vs Hamas who are armed by Iran.

6) Israel has a fair claim to the territory

Most importantly though, it is in the UK's self interest for Israel to persevere. At least in this conflict since they are part of the western world.

You make some fair points. However, we didn't have a problem with the Russian dictatorship until it did the wrong thing. Nor do we have any condemning problems with other dictatorships in the UAE, China, or parts of South America. I believe Israel have made various unprovoked attacks on outside interests citing security concerns and of course there is the ongoing illegal settlements which spring up from time to time out of no where. I really do not understand a claim for territory that goes back thousands of years. Either way, if you take land of people you shouldn't be surprised if they get a bit upset about it.

Regardless, both sides ack as badly as each other. What we do know is that whereas Hamas' original attack was horrendous, Israel of more than out done themselves in showing themselves to be equally if not more barbaric in the intervening two weeks. If the target is Hamas, why are they punishing the citizens of Gaza who as you claim have not voted for Hamas? The claims they are trying to hit Hamas is just as ridiculous especially as the recently freed hostages have stated they were kept in tunnels.

Hint to Israel - Hamas are in the tunnels!
Reply 31
What are these illegal settlements? Who claims the settlements?
Reply 32
Original post by hotpud
You make some fair points. However, we didn't have a problem with the Russian dictatorship until it did the wrong thing. Nor do we have any condemning problems with other dictatorships in the UAE, China, or parts of South America. I believe Israel have made various unprovoked attacks on outside interests citing security concerns and of course there is the ongoing illegal settlements which spring up from time to time out of no where. I really do not understand a claim for territory that goes back thousands of years. Either way, if you take land of people you shouldn't be surprised if they get a bit upset about it.

Regardless, both sides ack as badly as each other. What we do know is that whereas Hamas' original attack was horrendous, Israel of more than out done themselves in showing themselves to be equally if not more barbaric in the intervening two weeks. If the target is Hamas, why are they punishing the citizens of Gaza who as you claim have not voted for Hamas? The claims they are trying to hit Hamas is just as ridiculous especially as the recently freed hostages have stated they were kept in tunnels.

Hint to Israel - Hamas are in the tunnels!

How are citizens being punished?
Reply 33
Original post by da_nolo
How are citizens being punished?

Are you suggesting that bombing schools, hospitals, infrastructure, homes isn't a punishment to say nothing of the fact they are now under siege and have no access to the basics required for life? Meanwhile the majority of Israelis go about their everyday life.
Original post by hotpud
Are you suggesting that bombing schools, hospitals, infrastructure, homes isn't a punishment to say nothing of the fact they are now under siege and have no access to the basics required for life? Meanwhile the majority of Israelis go about their everyday life.

ikr bro the worlds mad
Reply 35
Original post by hotpud

Hammas did all that to Isreal. Is Hammas punishing Isreal?

Otherwise no. Bombing locations where your enemy is located is not evidence for punishment.

To say isreal goes back to everyday life is short side of blind. They live everyday knowing some rocket is going to fly over head. People are known to walk with guards so they dont get stabbed from hammas terrorists. They living in fear and tiredness just the same.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by da_nolo

Otherwise no. Bombing locations where your enemy is located is not evidence for punishment.

I'm not sure shutting off the fuel supply to the region counts as a targetted approach towards 'your enemy'.
Reply 37
Original post by Admit-One
I'm not sure shutting off the fuel supply to the region counts as a targetted approach towards 'your enemy'.

Their enemy lives in the area. Uses same fuel as anyone else to fight them. Why would they continue to send fuel?

That's basically paying the other guy to fight you.
Reply 38
Original post by da_nolo

To say isreal goes back to everyday life is short side of blind. They live everyday knowing some rocket is going to fly over head. People are known to walk with guards so they dont get stabbed from hammas terrorists. They living in fear and tiredness just the same.

Your argument makes no sense. I have no idea where you live but I assume it is in the UK. By your logic it would be reasonable for me to raise the UK to the ground if my actions were to remove you.

The folly of Israel is that Hammas are safely tucked up in the tunnels. Israel know this yet they continue to bomb innocent civilians. You can not remove a terrorist organisation through conventional war. Nor in my view can you justify the bombing of innocent civilians in that pursuit. In my mind, the current campaign is pure vindictiveness. I would suit Israel very nicely for Gaza to cease to exist and become part of Israel and if no one lived there because there was no one to live...
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by da_nolo
Their enemy lives in the area. Uses same fuel as anyone else to fight them. Why would they continue to send fuel?

That's basically paying the other guy to fight you.

So you concede that citizens are being punished but you just find it acceptable?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending