The Student Room Group

50,000 women in Gaza are pregnant.

So according to CNN, 50,000 women in Gaza are pregnant. The population of Gaza is 590,000. That means more than 1/6 women(Including old women and pre-pubescent girls) are pregnant. That means about 17% of the female population are pregnant at any given time.Compare that to the UK, where 2.4% of women are pregnant. That means in Gaza, more than 7 children are being conceived for every 1 in the UK. That's impressive.

Here's the link for the 50,000 number.
Women’s sexual and reproductive rights an ‘unfinished agenda’ | UN News

So what do you think of that number? Is it accurate? Are 7 kids being conceived in Gaza for every 1 in the UK? Are they doubling their numbers every 12 years or so?

Gaza City - Wikipedia

There's the source for Gaza's population as well, since I'm seeing wildly different numbers depending on the source. The official census says 590,000.
I don't know if the 50,000 figure is accurate or not but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.
Nor would I be surprised if the accurate figures demonstrated that more than 70% of girls and women in the region aged between 14 - 48 were either pregnant or had biological children under the age of 3.
Reply 2
Gaza generally refers to the Gaza Strip, not Gaza City alone.

That figure is perfectly feasible given the demographics of Gaza.
Gaza has a population of about 2,400,000. Assuming roughly 50% of people are women and 50,000 women are pregnant then that would mean about 4% of women in Gaza are pregnant.

That's not unreasonable, especially when you consider that access to contraceptives and educational attainment among girls (something hugely influential on birth rates) will be lower than that in places like the UK.

OP, why do you ask?
Maybe, not sure what point you are trying to make here really?
Reply 5
Original post by Andrew97
Maybe, not sure what point you are trying to make here really?

I'm not sure where the confusion is, really? Can you explain where the 'Is it accurate?' question confused you? I'd be happy to help if you can let me know where you're confused.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
I'm not sure where the confusion is, really? Can you explain where the 'Is it accurate?' question confused you? I'd be happy to help if you can let me know where you're confused.

I think the question they are asking is 'Why do you ask?'.
Those souls chose the wrong place to incarnate into...
Reply 8
Original post by SHallowvale
I think the question they are asking is 'Why do you ask?'.

Because I want to know if it's accurate. There are a lot of numbers being thrown around designed to make Gods and Monsters and I'm not a fan of this sort of emotional manipulation. I've read more than half of Gaza is under 18s.
https://www.npr.org/2023/10/18/1206897328/half-of-gazas-population-is-under-18-heres-what-that-means-for-the-conflict

I've read that number is false.

So the answer to the question, "Why do you ask the question 'Is it accurate?'" is because I want to know whether or not that number is accurate.

Again, I'm not really sure where the confusion is. I could have shortened this whole post to 'I'm asking if it's accurate because I want to know if it's accurate.'
(edited 6 months ago)
Because I want to know if it's accurate. There are a lot of numbers being thrown around designed to make Gods and Monsters and I'm not a fan of this sort of emotional manipulation. I've read more than half of Gaza is under 18s.
https://www.npr.org/2023/10/18/1206897328/half-of-gazas-population-is-under-18-heres-what-that-means-for-the-conflict

So the answer to the question, "Why do you ask the question 'Is it accurate?'" is because I want to know whether or not that number is accurate.

Again, I'm not really sure where the confusion is. I could have shortened this whole post to 'I'm asking if it's accurate because I want to know if it's accurate.'

Sure, but people don't usually ask questions just for the hell of it. They normally have a reason to ask, which in your case this seems to be because you think the figure may be misinformation used to promote one side of the conflict over the other. That's all people were asking, it just helps put into context the broader topic that your question raises.

In any case, the 50,000 figure is perfectly plausible given the demographics of Gaza and the general level of infrastructure, health care and educational attainment of the area.

Of all the issues going on in Israel/Palestine, why is the number of pregnant women or the age of people in Gaza a particular concern to you?

What evidence have you that the numbers are false?

And why do you regard the reporting the demographics regarding the Gaza Strip as emotional manipulation?

These are the reasons why people are perplexed by your thread.
Reply 11
Original post by Gazpacho.
Of all the issues going on in Israel/Palestine, why is the number of pregnant women or the age of people in Gaza a particular concern to you?

What evidence have you that the numbers are false?

And why do you regard the reporting the demographics regarding the Gaza Strip as emotional manipulation?

These are the reasons why people are perplexed by your thread.

1) The numbers are used either to suggest Hamas are hiding behind pregnant women or that Israel is planning on butchering 50,000 babies. That is concerning.
2) The numbers do not match the birth rate in Palestine, which is 3.57 births per woman. If that is the average number of births over a lifetime, and this represents just Gaza, then the number is much higher than it should be. If it represents the entirety of the Gaza Strip, then it's lower than expected. Either way, the numbers don't match up.
3) The only reason that someone would post the number of pregnant women in a war zone as a newsworthy fact is if it were, in fact, newsworthy. Which it is. Also posting that more than half of the country is under 18 is emotional manipulation as it suggests any counter-attack will result in many innocents dying, which it would, and that those will mostly be children.

I'm honestly perplexed by your confusion. You don't think that posts about how 50,000 babies are at risk in an invasion are not an attempt to tug at the heart strings? They also could have posted the number of cars in Gaza and that would have the same emotional effect? I think you're probably being disingenuous on purpose, but if you aren't then I'm not sure what to say.
My conclusion here would be that nobody has a very good grasp of the population demographics of Gaza - partly due to the fact that it's being bombed to **** at the moment. I'm not sure anyone here is going to be able to provide definitive proof of which demographic figures are most accurate. With the incredibly dramatic events going on there right now, I would expect any statistics to have changes drastically by the time the region is more peaceful.
1) The numbers are used either to suggest Hamas are hiding behind pregnant women or that Israel is planning on butchering 50,000 babies. That is concerning.
2) The numbers do not match the birth rate in Palestine, which is 3.57 births per woman. If that is the average number of births over a lifetime, and this represents just Gaza, then the number is much higher than it should be. If it represents the entirety of the Gaza Strip, then it's lower than expected. Either way, the numbers don't match up.
3) The only reason that someone would post the number of pregnant women in a war zone as a newsworthy fact is if it were, in fact, newsworthy. Which it is. Also posting that more than half of the country is under 18 is emotional manipulation as it suggests any counter-attack will result in many innocents dying, which it would, and that those will mostly be children.

I'm honestly perplexed by your confusion. You don't think that posts about how 50,000 babies are at risk in an invasion are not an attempt to tug at the heart strings? They also could have posted the number of cars in Gaza and that would have the same emotional effect? I think you're probably being disingenuous on purpose, but if you aren't then I'm not sure what to say.

The Gaza Strip contains hundreds of thousands of women and children in one of the most densely populated areas on Earth.
The political situation of Gaza means it is dependant on outside aid.
Hamas terrorists hide among these people.
Previous incursions into Gaza by Israel has resulted civilian causalities.

These are facts. These were true before the recent conflict. These facts have shaped how Israel responded to terror attacks from Gaza. You can kick and scream about how these facts are emotional manipulation but that does not change reality because facts do not care about your feelings.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending