The Student Room Group

History A-level and Tips on getting an A*

Hello!
Anyone who has previously taken a-level history/is currently taking a-level history and is also aiming for Grade A +, have any tips on revision methods and things to really enhance understanding and getting high marks in tests/essays etc?

Any help is appreciated!
Original post by kezowskii
Hello!
Anyone who has previously taken a-level history/is currently taking a-level history and is also aiming for Grade A +, have any tips on revision methods and things to really enhance understanding and getting high marks in tests/essays etc?

Any help is appreciated!

Hi, I got A* in Edexcel History A-level in August so I’ll give you some tips.

1) Frequently test yourself on facts and statistics. My teacher used to drum stats into our heads at the beginning of each lesson with a timed “starter activity”. When you are in the exam under pressure you will not easily be able to access your short term memory. Repetition is key to pass info into your long term memory. My teacher’s method really worked. Perhaps make yourself a starter activity with a few stats and short facts on, that you complete at the beginning of each personal revision session?

2) Practise essays, but don’t just do past papers. Of course it’s important to do past papers, particularly regarding the new structure at A-level. Try and get your teachers to mark as many as they can for you. However, I would say that making up your own questions is also a good idea. Identify trends in what has come up over the years in exams, and focus less on topics that have come up a lot (don’t completely rely on this though!), and create your own essay questions.

3) Read beyond the textbook. Immerse yourself in History. If you’ve taken the A-level it is expected that you are interested in it and are always curious to learn more. Watch documentaries, films, listen to podcasts and read books about your topics. Igniting a genuine interest in the A-level will also help with remembering concepts and facts. In my paper 3 A-level exam I wrote about what I’d seen in a documentary the night before!

4) Use more than one textbook. Use the basic exam board specific one, but also use other older textbooks on the same topic, as they may offer more visuals and different critical thinking activities.

5) Blurting, flashcards and mindmaps. You probably know what the others are, but blurting is useful. Go through your flash cards, and then write onto a bit of blank paper everything you’ve remembered. Look back at the flash cards and fill in the gaps with a different coloured pen.

Finally, ask your teachers questions and use the resources they provide you with. Sixth form is a great opportunity to form a positive relationship with your teachers. Your teachers likely have a genuine enthusiasm for History, and most will be more than happy to give you support and essay feedback. Don’t be disheartened if your first essay gets a bad mark. Talk to your teacher and ask them what you can improve on.

Hope this helps, any more questions just ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending