The Student Room Group

Answer please

Going on a Pilgrimage is the most important practice for Catholics.’

​Going on a Pilgrimage is the most important practice for Catholics.
Discuss this statement, showing that you have considered more than one point of view.​
(You must refer to religion and belief in your answer.) 15 marks
As a Catholic myself (albeit a liberal one), I'd say there are more important things than going on a pilgrimage, e.g. the weekly Mass obligation. It's not like Islam where the Hajj is one of the five pillars (unless I'm mistaken?)...
Pilgrimage has been considered an important element of Catholic faith since the 4th century but has never been viewed as the most important catholic practice.
Catholic Catechism acknowledges the value of pilgrimage,"pilgrimages evoke our earthly journey towards heaven and are traditionally very special occasions for renewal in prayer" (Catholic Catechism 2691).

Pilgrimage can be applicable to a physical journey to a popular shrines & pilgrimage site such as Lourdes, Rome, Medjugorje, the holy land or Walsingham.
Often it also represents a catholic's individual faith journey & provides them with an opportunity to demonstrate true commitment to God, commit time in the hope of cultivating a personal faith connection with saints or apostles, seek forgiveness of sins or cures from ailments that modern medicine considers to be incurable.
However pilgrimage has never been considered on par with the importance of communion, confirmation, confession or baptism for Catholics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending