The Student Room Group

Health jobs with no experience

what jobs are available that a first uni student can do at the NHS with no experience?
and HCA without experience...too hard to even find band 1/2 jobs without experience wth
Reply 2
Original post by Tania_loveheart
what jobs are available that a first uni student can do at the NHS with no experience?

You haven't said anything about whether you are a student nurse or just a student doing another university course.

HCA and auxiliary nursing positions you can do without any experience. As you'll start at lowest band pay scale.

If you are a nursing student then perhaps think about doing Bank nursing with your local health trust as this is ideal for a lot of nursing students at university as they can fit shifts etc around there studying.

NHS midwife
Original post by Tracey_W
You haven't said anything about whether you are a student nurse or just a student doing another university course.

HCA and auxiliary nursing positions you can do without any experience. As you'll start at lowest band pay scale.

If you are a nursing student then perhaps think about doing Bank nursing with your local health trust as this is ideal for a lot of nursing students at university as they can fit shifts etc around there studying.

NHS midwife

I'm not not doing a nursing degree I'm doing biomedical science and i was thinking about helping run labs but I'm unsure what the job is called.
Original post by Tracey_W

NHS midwife

HCA jobs require experience with vulnerable individuals though
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
HCA jobs require experience with vulnerable individuals though

@Emily_B
No they don't necessarily have to have any sort of experience working with vulnerable people 😕😕😕 training will always be provided.

First thing I would check is if there is any opportunity to volunteer as this can also help you to build vital experience for future applications, other than this there will be some good base jobs or could look for relevant experience elsewhere and prepare to apply to summer internships for between years that would help maximise experience?
Original post by brandonbshah
First thing I would check is if there is any opportunity to volunteer as this can also help you to build vital experience for future applications, other than this there will be some good base jobs or could look for relevant experience elsewhere and prepare to apply to summer internships for between years that would help maximise experience?

thanks im going to my dads work tomorrow to ask about about volunteering and then ill go from there
thanks im going to my dads work tomorrow to ask about about volunteering and then ill go from there

Sounds like a solid starting point! Fingers crossed and hope it can be a positive start. Make sure for future to keep either a mental note or actual written ones on any key skills or experience you can take from the work you do. Will help in long term when writing a CV/Resume :yy:
Reply 9
For simply getting a foot in the NHS, one good thing to do can be cleaning roles - NHS is fairly good about working around other commitments and have lots of part time roles, and this would give you an opening to internal NHS jobs on offer.

Re lab experience - try Band 2/3 (idk if England still has band 1 as Scotland doesn't really anymore?) roles, and then filter by each job family one at a time to see what kind of jobs may appeal to you. At first look at all areas, don't even bother filtering by location as this is just your initial research! Once you have an idea you can set up alerts for locations and job families/titles that suit your future goals. I would say many science students don't get a lot of experience before graduating, so don't panic! These roles will be harder to get, as there is a lot of competition and I've seen postgrads+ apply - but internal roles have a much smaller applicant field...

If you're happy with volunteer experience, keep an eye out for PHD students asking for some temporary help with their projects. I spent about 5 months separating sand samples for a PHD student (just a few hours on wednesday afternoons), and some other friends have helped students organise studies etc.

Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending