The Student Room Group

Degree in English and Drama - useful?

Is a joint degree in English and Drama useful or useless?
Aiming for a career in the arts - theatre/tv/film
As useful as any other degree in general.

That said depending on exactly what you want to do in the TV and film industry, a TV/film production course may be more practically relevant and useful. I believe the CILECT member courses and those with ScreenSkills accreditation are more aligned to industry standards?
Original post by artful_lounger
As useful as any other degree in general.

That said depending on exactly what you want to do in the TV and film industry, a TV/film production course may be more practically relevant and useful. I believe the CILECT member courses and those with ScreenSkills accreditation are more aligned to industry standards?

Thanks! I am interested in a career in tv/film but I also want to keep my options open. That's why I thought of a joint degree in English and Drama, which I think is more academic than vocational but at least the theory and practice of the craft.
Original post by username6440481
Is a joint degree in English and Drama useful or useless?
Aiming for a career in the arts - theatre/tv/film

Hi!
That combination sounds incredible! And very complimentary together. It can potentially give you so many options for a future career.
And it's also great that you are already thinking about the industry you want to work in. I would suggest doing as much as research as possible about the courses in the Universities you're interested in and especially their modules and career opportunities.
Wishing you good luck!

Milena 🙂
Creative and Critical Writing MA at University of Suffolk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending