The Student Room Group

A levels pls help!!

Is doing both English a levels a bad idea
Reply 1
Hi Amanda 164.

Not so much a bad idea, but it depends on what you want to do at university (if you're planning on applying), and for a career.

I think you might find so much English in your timetable might be a little overwhelming, and you'll wish you'd opted for more variety. Are you thinking about other courses, too?

Have you thought about the A Level English Language and Literature (single A Level) option? That might tick the boxes for you.

What do you think?
Reply 2
Original post by Wilf G
Hi Amanda 164.
Not so much a bad idea, but it depends on what you want to do at university (if you're planning on applying), and for a career.
I think you might find so much English in your timetable might be a little overwhelming, and you'll wish you'd opted for more variety. Are you thinking about other courses, too?
Have you thought about the A Level English Language and Literature (single A Level) option? That might tick the boxes for you.
What do you think?

Hi, thank you for your reply, I have thought about it but unfortunately no schools near me offer it as an a level, I was thinking about history or psychology but we did some tasters and I found both the English most enjoyable and I also didn’t take history as a gcse. I’m not overly sure what I want to do regarding uni but I’m taking photography as a definite a level.
Reply 3
Original post by Amanda164
Hi, thank you for your reply, I have thought about it but unfortunately no schools near me offer it as an a level, I was thinking about history or psychology but we did some tasters and I found both the English most enjoyable and I also didn’t take history as a gcse. I’m not overly sure what I want to do regarding uni but I’m taking photography as a definite a level.

Hello again, Amanda 164.

TBH, I'm not sure about the value of the joint Lang/Lit A Level. I've taught both as separate A Levels, and found that students prefer to commit to one or the other.

A couple of thoughts : I believe you don't need to have done GCSE History in order to take the subject up at A Level. It might depend on individual colleges, but that's a general idea. As a discipline, it's a very well-respected course, and appeared on the Russell Group Universities list of facilitating subjects - as did A Level English Literature. Both are very analytical subjects, requiring students to have opinions about the materials they're presented with. That's what I love about both! To me, one of the differences about A Level study is the independence of thought and approach it invites. Provided you can support your views with evidence, you're good to go. Certainly, we've had some superb discussions about - for example - 'Wuthering Heights'.

I may be wrong, but you sound like quite a creative person to me - partly based on your conviction about Photography. In your shoes, I'd have a serious think about what you want to do as a career. You don't have to be specific, but you probably have some 'ballpark' leanings.

At the moment, if you're interested in the Englishes, which one has your heart?! Be honest with yourself. Language is analytical, and includes areas of study such as Child Language Development. You'll analyse how language is used in a whole range of situations, spoken, written, multi-media. You'll also get to create your own texts.

Literature requires engagement and investment in a variety of others' writings. If you're already a reader, you'll know exactly what I mean. What did you study at GCSE? Did you enjoy it? Do you choose to read more widely, or have you read more or less just what you've been asked to read in the course of your studies?

Psychology is also incredibly interesting. I've taught a little bit of that, too; there's a lot of material to take in, and many case studies to remember. Maybe it doesn't have the creative element I think you might be looking for.

How about A Level Drama/Theatre Studies? That's a subject that can kind of be what you want it to be. You don't need to be an actor, but there are opportunities to explore aspects that are more behind-the-scenes, such as lighting, directing, stage design.

Apologies if I'm wrong with how I'm reading you. But if I'm anywhere near the mark, and you want to pursue this discussion, let me know.

Hope this is of some use to you.
Reply 4
Original post by Wilf G
Hello again, Amanda 164.
TBH, I'm not sure about the value of the joint Lang/Lit A Level. I've taught both as separate A Levels, and found that students prefer to commit to one or the other.
A couple of thoughts : I believe you don't need to have done GCSE History in order to take the subject up at A Level. It might depend on individual colleges, but that's a general idea. As a discipline, it's a very well-respected course, and appeared on the Russell Group Universities list of facilitating subjects - as did A Level English Literature. Both are very analytical subjects, requiring students to have opinions about the materials they're presented with. That's what I love about both! To me, one of the differences about A Level study is the independence of thought and approach it invites. Provided you can support your views with evidence, you're good to go. Certainly, we've had some superb discussions about - for example - 'Wuthering Heights'.
I may be wrong, but you sound like quite a creative person to me - partly based on your conviction about Photography. In your shoes, I'd have a serious think about what you want to do as a career. You don't have to be specific, but you probably have some 'ballpark' leanings.
At the moment, if you're interested in the Englishes, which one has your heart?! Be honest with yourself. Language is analytical, and includes areas of study such as Child Language Development. You'll analyse how language is used in a whole range of situations, spoken, written, multi-media. You'll also get to create your own texts.
Literature requires engagement and investment in a variety of others' writings. If you're already a reader, you'll know exactly what I mean. What did you study at GCSE? Did you enjoy it? Do you choose to read more widely, or have you read more or less just what you've been asked to read in the course of your studies?
Psychology is also incredibly interesting. I've taught a little bit of that, too; there's a lot of material to take in, and many case studies to remember. Maybe it doesn't have the creative element I think you might be looking for.
How about A Level Drama/Theatre Studies? That's a subject that can kind of be what you want it to be. You don't need to be an actor, but there are opportunities to explore aspects that are more behind-the-scenes, such as lighting, directing, stage design.
Apologies if I'm wrong with how I'm reading you. But if I'm anywhere near the mark, and you want to pursue this discussion, let me know.
Hope this is of some use to you.

Thank you again for your helpful reply! I definitely am more on the creative side, and I’ve been talking to teachers and researching the different specifications for both englishes and I genuinely think I would enjoy both, especially as language is so different to gcse, obviously you still have to be analytical etc, but it’s a lot more specific and I enjoy the freedom you get on both coursework elements. I’ve been invested in different drama and theatre activities as well as casting agencies throughout my life and although it probably would be enjoyable it’s just not something I’m interested in, and as for psychology the science looked quite overwhelming. I’ve also been thinking a lot about teaching recently as a job for the future and I was wondering, if you had the time, could you tell me more about your experiences? Thank you for your help!
Reply 5
Hi Amanda.

I had a few more ideas about what you're currently thinking about, regarding A Level subject combinations, and potential degree courses (which you'll need to go into teaching).

As for teaching as a career, I'd be happy to share some of my thoughts with you, but perhaps that needs to be by DM, rather than on the main board. If that's OK with you, then DM me, and I'll get back to you as soon as.

Happy Easter, BTW!
Reply 6
Original post by Wilf G
Hi Amanda.
I had a few more ideas about what you're currently thinking about, regarding A Level subject combinations, and potential degree courses (which you'll need to go into teaching).
As for teaching as a career, I'd be happy to share some of my thoughts with you, but perhaps that needs to be by DM, rather than on the main board. If that's OK with you, then DM me, and I'll get back to you as soon as.
Happy Easter, BTW!

Hello yes I’d be happy to DM you just not sure how hahah! Happy Easter as well!

Quick Reply

Latest