The Student Room Group

Are you still entitled to student finance if you drop out of uni?

finding the information and advice regarding if you're entitled to loans after dropping out and returning to uni education very confusing... I'm looking to drop out but reapply to study again in September 2023 at a new uni closer to home since I was so miserable and depressed at my current one. can someone clarify whether you actually have to pay all your tuition fees yourself when you start a new uni course or you can just apply the same way as before so it will all be fine? being told two different things here but I'm so worried if I have to pay all my tuition fees myself.. don't have the money to do this even though I really want to try again at uni :frown:
(edited 1 year ago)
I think it depends on how many years you have done. So if you've done a year then you can potentially still get finance for another three year course. If however you have done two years in one degree then you wouldn't get finance for the whole of a second degree.

You're best to speak to them directly though to check out the situation in your particular case.
Original post by nightingalesong
I think it depends on how many years you have done. So if you've done a year then you can potentially still get finance for another three year course. If however you have done two years in one degree then you wouldn't get finance for the whole of a second degree.

You're best to speak to them directly though to check out the situation in your particular case.

yeah, I've done four months of my first year, so that sounds right. I take it that because I haven't been doing it for too long, they wouldn't see a problem but I have heard some sources say that the SLC sees even a few months as a whole year of uni, even if you drop out really early. but I'll contact them at some point to find out more.
If youve only done four months of the first year then that does count as one of your years but you will be eligible for three more years of finance in a new degree
Your student finance entitlement for full time studies would be: Length of the degree you will be on/entering into in the coming academic year + 1 year (gift year) - the number of years in higher education previously.

If you studied 1 year in uni before, and are starting a new 3 year degree from 1st year, the calculation is then: 3 + 1 -1 = 3 years of funding remaining, so enough for a full degree still. If you were in a higher year of your current degree and/or had prior study at uni before starting the degree you are now leaving, then you may not have enough SFE funding to cover the full new course.
Original post by rebeccamay6890
yeah, I've done four months of my first year, so that sounds right. I take it that because I haven't been doing it for too long, they wouldn't see a problem but I have heard some sources say that the SLC sees even a few months as a whole year of uni, even if you drop out really early. but I'll contact them at some point to find out more.

I did a couple months at Durham and dropped out, currently doing psych at Manchester and I've had no issues with student finance so I'm assuming it's fine
Original post by SupposedlyIronic
I did a couple months at Durham and dropped out, currently doing psych at Manchester and I've had no issues with student finance so I'm assuming it's fine

thanks for that bit of insight; my university must be only saying that to try and scare me away from dropping out then lol, they basically threatened that student finance won't pay me if I enrol again for uni.
thanks for the advice people, just contacting the student loan company soon to notify of my withdrawal and intentions to reapply for September 2023 at a new institution. based on your advice and info, I think it will be ok and I won't have to self-finance my new degree (phew) :smile: but I'll keep posted about the situation if there is actually any issues.
Reply 8
Hey! I did the full first year at one uni and then dropped out (this was a 4 year course so completed 1/4) and am now going to a new uni on a different course in September and my student finance has all been approved for a 3 year course. So I’m guessing you will be fine as I think you get 4 years on student finance. I thought about doing a year abroad / in industry at my new uni but haven’t applied as I’m not sure I would get the funding for another 4 year degree but haven’t asked or found the info online so maybe you can I’m not sure.
Reply 9
Hi guys just seeing what outcome you guys had? I dropped out my 1st year got 2 payments. I re-applied for a 4 year course & my funding was approved just waiting on the university to confirm my attendance.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending