The Student Room Group

Help - considering dropping out of uni

Hi,
I am currently in my second year of university (first year of my law degree) and I am really enjoying the course however I really am struggling with the motivation to do my uni work and even physically to go into uni. To me, at the minute it seems like a waste of time and money spent on the bus for the lecturers to read off the PowerPoint or to go to a seminar to hear other people's ideas that are all the same. It is so strange because during summer I really was waiting for the time to come back to uni but now I'm here I'm severely struggling for motivation when I can do it all at home.

I am also as well as other uni students really struggling on the money aspect despite being given maximum student loan purely because my money goes almost all into rent. I asked my uni for any extra money or financial support they can give me and they have given me an extra smaller sum of money which I am incredibly grateful for however, it is not enough for the whole year as this money is intended for. And before anyone mentions getting a job I have applied to so many yet with Indeed I have heard back from none which is so frustrating and seems half the time like a wasted process.

Now I need to figure out what to do as I am so passionate about becoming a lawyer but amongst being worried about if I can afford to live at uni and the fact that I have so little motivation for this first semester I am not sure. The second semester has better modules which I am looking forward to but I did a foundation year and what we covered last year I am covering in these modules in the first semester so it seems really tedious. I also have other friends who dropped out or didn't go to uni and they seem to have a great time but if I did drop I wouldn't have a plan and that scares me.

If any other law students or students in general have any advice it would so be appreciated.
Original post by georgiac2
Hi,
I am currently in my second year of university (first year of my law degree) and I am really enjoying the course however I really am struggling with the motivation to do my uni work and even physically to go into uni. To me, at the minute it seems like a waste of time and money spent on the bus for the lecturers to read off the PowerPoint or to go to a seminar to hear other people's ideas that are all the same. It is so strange because during summer I really was waiting for the time to come back to uni but now I'm here I'm severely struggling for motivation when I can do it all at home.

I am also as well as other uni students really struggling on the money aspect despite being given maximum student loan purely because my money goes almost all into rent. I asked my uni for any extra money or financial support they can give me and they have given me an extra smaller sum of money which I am incredibly grateful for however, it is not enough for the whole year as this money is intended for. And before anyone mentions getting a job I have applied to so many yet with Indeed I have heard back from none which is so frustrating and seems half the time like a wasted process.

Now I need to figure out what to do as I am so passionate about becoming a lawyer but amongst being worried about if I can afford to live at uni and the fact that I have so little motivation for this first semester I am not sure. The second semester has better modules which I am looking forward to but I did a foundation year and what we covered last year I am covering in these modules in the first semester so it seems really tedious. I also have other friends who dropped out or didn't go to uni and they seem to have a great time but if I did drop I wouldn't have a plan and that scares me.

If any other law students or students in general have any advice it would so be appreciated.

Hi @georgiac2Sorry to hear you're having a rough time at the moment. I'm a second year fashion student and I can relate to the feelings of lack of motivation. It might not be exactly the same as you, but I think I've felt less motivated recently myself, as I was super excited to come back and have started the work and have suddenly burnt myself out, and it's only been a few weeks!

About your thoughts of leaving uni, definitely don't rush into it - especially as you think the upcoming modules in the new year could be of more interest to you. I know it's not an easy decision to make but I think it's a good idea to think about what you would be doing if you weren't at university, and to compare the pros and cons of that with staying at uni. Maybe you would be working, or doing a different type of education like at a nearby college, for example.

It sounds like you're still interested in your subject and that you actually want to stay, but other important factors like finances are also on your mind. I understand the job search can be tough, and even harder when trying to fit something in around uni work. Are there any jobs at your university, like helping out at open days, that you could look at? I do this at BCU and it means I can earn some extra money but I fit work around my studies.

I think you could do brilliantly if you stayed on at university, but there is no shame or embarrassment if you choose not to stay. You need to do what's right for you. Have you tried talking to your tutors, or any student support services at your uni? Maybe they could offer some more advice? Or guide you with your decision?

I hope this helps a bit, and remember to not be too hard on yourself! You're doing your degree for yourself, so it needs to be something you really want and enjoy.

Best of luck!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Hi,

Hey,

That definitely sounds like a tough situation but as you are passionate about your course I would not drop out if you can! I would defiantly recommend speaking to your university again. They will likely have a money advice team, who it sounds like you've possibly already spoken to but don't feel embarrassed to go back and ask for help again, it why they are there : ) They may be able to give you advice on how best to manage your budget to ensure you don't have to drop out.

The university will have resources to help you to find a part time job either at the university or nearby. If you speak to the careers team they will be able to give you advice in terms of personal statements and CVs advice, they may even do mock interviews to ensure you can find a job if you need one. They will also be able to advise you of jobs at the university or nearby, for example universities will often have a 'careers portal' for part time jobs as well as employing students at universities for jobs like Student Ambassadors or Student Guides. Things like this can be really helpful to boost your income especially if you are spending a lot of rent.

I hope this helps!

Good luck with it : )

Katie - Third year Psychology student
Hi,

@georgiac02

It is frustrating when lecturers simply read off slides and don't add anything more to it : ( I can understand you finding the commute tedious especially with money that you may be spending on transport and when you covered a lot of the material the previous year. I think it may be something that you have to endure until you are able to do the more interesting modules. Do try and get what you can out of the lectures. Ask questions and try and find out more about people's responses in seminars.

University is expensive. It can be difficult to manage finances. Do try and make sure that you are eating and eating a balanced diet so you can have the energy and concentration that you need. It might be thinking about writing a meal plan for the week, shopping in different places or buying the supermarket brand to help save money.

I too in the past have spent a large amount of time on Indeed. Move on!
I would definitely recommend that you have a look for Christmas jobs at retail stores (go to their websites/ ask at stores near you if they are recruiting for Christmas). You could also look at opportunities with your university, which might provide you with more flexibility.

You are passionate about becoming a lawyer, so try not to be influenced by others who have dropped out. If you drop out, it won't help you to fulfil your dream of being a lawyer. It may be that your other friends are pursuing careers which mean they don't need a degree, so again try not to compare yourself. You could if you dropped out of university return at a later time, but it may be more difficult because of marriage, kids etc...so it may be worth trying to persevere now!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
I graduated this year and I regret it. I would drop out when you have the chance.
Hello,

I hear you @georgiac02, and I am really sorry you feel this way. I have been in my course for quite a while and I can understand that sometimes one can lose the motivation to continue.

From a course point of view: Let the passion be the factor that drives you to continue, try to find new study locations (so you don't get bored) and maybe join a study group so you can keep things exciting. Sometimes exploring a different angle can reignite the spark.

You should be proud of yourself for reaching out to the financial team, but it might be worth exploring external scholarships, grants, or bursaries that might be available for law students or students facing financial hardship?

Finally, it might be a good idea to speak to an academic advisor about the different options, maybe you can work in university, or work on some of the material in your future modules. You never know what advice they might give you <3

I hope it works out for you!

Good Luck,
Haya -MBBS 5
(edited 5 months ago)
Hi,

Hi Georgia,

I'm sorry to hear that you have been struggling recently. A lack of motivation is completely normal at times, especially if you are studying modules that you don't really have any interest in.

I would advise you to try and stick it out until the 2nd semester and see if your motivation peaks with the new modules you'll be studying. As others have said, try not to be persuaded by others dropping out as you'll never achieve your dreams of becoming a lawyer if you drop out.

From a financial point of view, university can be incredibly expensive which leads to a lot of stress for most university students. I would advise coming up with a budget plan that allows you to eat well as you will need that nourishing food to succeed in your studies. Try to shop in a cheaper shop if possible and use things like student discounts if possible.

As for job opportunities, I would advise contacting your university career hub and asking if they would have any career opportunities available locally or if becoming a student ambassador would be an option. SA is a great way of becoming involved in university life while also earning some money to support your studies.

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
Hi,

Hi @georgiac2 ,

Firstly, I'm sorry about the struggles you have been facing this year. I am in my second year too and have found it a lot harder than first year in terms of motivation and also with money. I agree it can be frustrating when you spend money getting to Uni and it seems like you could've just done the work at home.

I would say try and stick it out and see how you feel after Christmas, you might come back with new motivation, especially if you are looking forward to those modules! It can feel annoying when you feel as though you've already covered all of the information in a module but it might be worth sticking it out so that you can study the ones you are passionate about. I had lots of friends who didn't go to uni too and it can be hard when they have money from working full time or when it seems like they have everything figured out and you don't but the reality is that everyone moves at different paces and you can only do what is right for you at the time. Don't feel pressure to drop out, just focus on your passion to become a lawyer and do what is best for you.

As others have said, it may be a good idea to take your cv round to some shops/cafes and see if they might be hiring for Christmas? Or look to see if your university has any jobs open at the moment as this can be a really flexible way to get some money that fits around your studies.

You could also ask your university again about funding and see if there is anything they can do, you may as well ask. You could also talk to student support or your academic advisor and see if they know of any funding you can apply for. It's worth an ask, the worst that can happen is they say no.

Good luck with the rest of your studies and let me know if you have any other questions,
Lucy- SHU student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending