The Student Room Group

Doctoral loan and uni fee waiver funding, please help!

I have been in touch with SFE this morning but thought I would post here too as I have been told I will need to wait for five working days for a definitive answer and I am really confused.

I am currently in the process of applying for a full fee waiver for a three year PhD at my university. However, I was really hoping to be able to apply for a doctoral loan to help with living costs. The funding I will be receiving comes from the university itself, not a research council and not government funding. Everywhere online states that it is only these kinds of funding that makes you ineligible however the advisor I spoke to on the phone says it is likely I will still be ineligible as it counts as a scholarship?? (though again, this isn't research council funding).

Any advice would be SO appreciated as I am quite confused (and stressed!)

Thanks!
Original post by Beebityboo
I have been in touch with SFE this morning but thought I would post here too as I have been told I will need to wait for five working days for a definitive answer and I am really confused.

I am currently in the process of applying for a full fee waiver for a three year PhD at my university. However, I was really hoping to be able to apply for a doctoral loan to help with living costs. The funding I will be receiving comes from the university itself, not a research council and not government funding. Everywhere online states that it is only these kinds of funding that makes you ineligible however the advisor I spoke to on the phone says it is likely I will still be ineligible as it counts as a scholarship?? (though again, this isn't research council funding).

Any advice would be SO appreciated as I am quite confused (and stressed!)

Thanks!

Hi Beebityboo,

Can you confirm what type of support that the university is offering if it isn't categorised as a scholarship please?

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Hi Clare, thanks for getting back to me

The funding is classed as a fee waiver as far as I am aware, being funded by the university itself and not a research council.
(edited 6 months ago)
Hi Clare, thanks for getting back to me

The funding is classed as a fee waiver as far as I am aware, being funded by the university itself and not a research council.

Hi Beebityboo,

Thank you for confirming. I have checked our regulations and if you are receiving external Tuition Fee Support, this would deem you ineligible for funding unfortunately.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 4
Hi Clare,

Thanks for the reply but I am still confused as according to the governments own website it states that what makes you ineligible is funding from research councils such as EHRC, this funding is just from the university department. There are threads on this site that give a different answer to this question? This is not government funding of any kind or research council funding.

For example this thread seems to give a different answer, https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6979035
(edited 6 months ago)
Hi Clare,

Thanks for the reply but I am still confused as according to the governments own website it states that what makes you ineligible is funding from research councils such as EHRC, this funding is just from the university department. There are threads on this site that give a different answer to this question? This is not government funding of any kind or research council funding.

For example this thread seems to give a different answer, https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6979035

Hi Beebityboo,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I have looked into this further for you and I can see that the information regarding Tuition Fees paid by the university is not clear to me. I am going to feed this back to have this clarified for you. In the meantime, it is best to apply so that they assessors can review this for you.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare
Reply 6
Thanks very much for the help Clare!
Thanks very much for the help Clare!

You're welcome, I will ensure this is looked into as soon as possible. Have a lovely day! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending