The Student Room Group

Is it too late to apply for student finance/maintenance loan?

In April 2023 I was offered a place on a nursing course to start beginning of October but I could not apply for student finance/maintenance loan at the time because I was waiting for my permanent residence application to come through which would allow me to access funding. I have now received that and I have started to complete the student finance application which I will be submitting today.

I really want to go to uni this year and I wanted to find out from other members of this forum if I have left it too late to apply. Although I could not have applied sooner as the application would simply have been rejected by Student Finance England due to me not being eligible for funding at the time.

Your thoughts please.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by hyginusoiwuh
In April 2023 I was offered a place on a nursing course to start beginning of October but I could not apply for student finance/maintenance loan at the time because I was waiting for my permanent residence application to come through which would allow me to access funding. I have now received that and I have started to complete the student finance application which I will be submitting today.

I really want to go to uni this year and I wanted to find out from other members of this forum if I have left it too late to apply. Although I could not have applied sooner as the application would simply have been rejected by Student Finance England due to me not being eligible for funding at the time.

Your thoughts please.

Thank you.

you can apply to student finance at whatever time you want but the later you do it, just makes it more delayes so if you apply now you are likely to get it in Nov/Dec maybe

Your thoughts please.

Thank you.

It's not too late to apply. Be prepared to fund yourself at the start of term for a few weeks until your maintenance loan arrives (the overdraft facility of a student bank account might help with this).
Reply 3
I’m more worried about the tuition fees, I’ll get by somehow until the maintenance loan comes through. I just want to be assured that SFE will pay the university on time so as to allow me to enrol on to my course and attend lectures.

I’ve today submitted my application to SFE.
I’m more worried about the tuition fees, I’ll get by somehow until the maintenance loan comes through. I just want to be assured that SFE will pay the university on time so as to allow me to enrol on to my course and attend lectures.

Contact the student records/finance department at your uni and let them know that you have applied for funding late.
Reply 5

Second advice already given.You will get it but will need to inform uni.Tbh will not take that long.Tell Uni what is going on.It will be fine.Probably 4 to 6 weeks.
Reply 6
I’ll contact uni and explain straightaway.

Thank you all.
Reply 7
Update:

I contacted the finance/funding team at the uni (University of Essex) that I plan to go to, their response was that they operate independent of Student Finance England and that I should refrain from registering (online pre-registration started on 30/08/23) until my funding is confirmed. They advised me to contact Student Finance England directly. I contacted SFE they said it'd take 4-6 weeks to have the application processed.

My uni will start on 02/10/23 and I am hoping that I'll hear from SFE by then.
Reply 8
That's not very helpful of Essex.Tbh I might have another attempt,perhaps ask to speak to the finance team leader this time.Hopefully SFE will get a move on but nearer the deadline give them another ring.
Reply 9
Original post by Scotney
That's not very helpful of Essex.Tbh I might have another attempt,perhaps ask to speak to the finance team leader this time.Hopefully SFE will get a move on but nearer the deadline give them another ring.

I also didn't think they were helpful, I will contact uni again nearer the time if I have not heard from sfe.
Reply 10
I also didn't think they were helpful, I will contact uni again nearer the time if I have not heard from sfe.

I mean sometimes it is who you speak to There are two types of people in the world the "won't do 'and the 'can do'.You need a can do person.Honestly I regularly phone everything from doctors to power companies and broadband services and the answers and help you get entirely depend on which operative picks up the phone.If I find I have an unhelpful person on the line I just try again and usually will get what I couldn't get the first time.
Yes just wait until nearer the time but do not be scared to ask to speak to a supervisor
Reply 11
Original post by Scotney
I mean sometimes it is who you speak to There are two types of people in the world the "won't do 'and the 'can do'.You need a can do person.Honestly I regularly phone everything from doctors to power companies and broadband services and the answers and help you get entirely depend on which operative picks up the phone.If I find I have an unhelpful person on the line I just try again and usually will get what I couldn't get the first time.
Yes just wait until nearer the time but do not be scared to ask to speak to a supervisor

Thanks! Much appreciated.
Original post by Scotney

Prsom. This is absolutely brilliant advice. I work in customer service in a call centre and get annoyed when others can’t be bothered to go above and beyond for their customers. They phone because they need our help and if we don’t know the answer we should find out from managers or other sources. I am lucky because my managers are really knowledgeable and helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending