The Student Room Group

effective revision

hey! I've just started year 10 so obvs I gotta do something abt the upcoming gcses
I spent the most of my summer making a revision timetable for after school and tried it out for a month and I can already see how uneffective it is

here's how it goes : go through all the PowerPoints from lessons that day and fill in missing notes
then use these notes and the textbook to make quizlet
this bit takes FOREVER and mind there's like 50 flashcards per set and I have like 10 folders with 30 sets in them each

then I blurt out each topic , then do seneca and finally do any school homework
these days I go to sleep at 11 minimum and I want to find a way to make my revising more efficient , but im also scared if I dont get everything down , im gonna miss something out and fail horribly

im aiming for all 9s and my current grades are around that (99987 for the subjects I've been tested on so far) but I also wanna sleep soo

help me out plss
(edited 6 months ago)
Hey, I'm currently in year 13 so hopefully I can give you some useful tips:

-Firstly, you're only in year 10 so although it is good to be thinking about revision,you definitely don't need to be stressing about these things too much.
-Personally I dislike revision timetables as I know I can't stick to them, instead I prefer to list the things that need doing and work through them in priority order.
-Try to stop working by 9:30 at the latest and be in bed 10:30 at the latest, you will thank yourself later and being exhausted this early in isn't going to help you study for the long term.
-If you don't like Quizlet flashcards, find a different technique. Also you can find and use flashcard sets that other people have made, this is the only time I use Quizlet.
-Here are some websites/resources I like(d) using: physics and maths tutor, save my exams, CGP, Kerboodle (sometimes, though not my fave), the actual specification from your exam board (my absolute fave thing ever!), past paper mark schemes (I remember this being most useful for RS), you can also search around for youtube channels you find useful e.g. 'Mr Bruff' for english

Here is the routine I like to follow for studying (obvs won't work for all subjects, probs not essay based ones)
-copy down as much useful info from lessons as possible, don't waste time making it look nice
-finish worksheets from the lesson asap
-as soon as we have finished a topic, use as many different resources as possible, along with the specification to write notes that cover everything that could be asked in an exam
-before a test/ exam, focus on past paper questions (e.g. from PMT) and doing active recall of you notes, I do this by reading them, then later trying to rewrite as much of it as possible
-towards mocks/ actual exams I then use physical flashcards. I used to be a really big fan during GCSEs, but not so much for A levels

I wasn't a fan of subjects like english, but I guess focus on exam skills rather than content, and finding structures which work for you and are realistic for the timeframe and your ability.
Original post by studious_
hey! I've just started year 10 so obvs I gotta do something abt the upcoming gcses
I spent the most of my summer making a revision timetable for after school and tried it out for a month and I can already see how uneffective it is

here's how it goes : go through all the PowerPoints from lessons that day and fill in missing notes
then use these notes and the textbook to make quizlet
this bit takes FOREVER and mind there's like 50 flashcards per set and I have like 10 folders with 30 sets in them each

then I blurt out each topic , then do seneca and finally do any school homework
these days I go to sleep at 11 minimum and I want to find a way to make my revising more efficient , but im also scared if I dont get everything down , im gonna miss something out and fail horribly

im aiming for all 9s and my current grades are around that (99987 for the subjects I've been tested on so far) but I also wanna sleep soo

help me out plss

Search up channels like Justin Sung, Archer Newton and icanstudy.
Reply 3
Original post by ScienceBean
Hey, I'm currently in year 13 so hopefully I can give you some useful tips:

-Firstly, you're only in year 10 so although it is good to be thinking about revision,you definitely don't need to be stressing about these things too much.
-Personally I dislike revision timetables as I know I can't stick to them, instead I prefer to list the things that need doing and work through them in priority order.
-Try to stop working by 9:30 at the latest and be in bed 10:30 at the latest, you will thank yourself later and being exhausted this early in isn't going to help you study for the long term.
-If you don't like Quizlet flashcards, find a different technique. Also you can find and use flashcard sets that other people have made, this is the only time I use Quizlet.
-Here are some websites/resources I like(d) using: physics and maths tutor, save my exams, CGP, Kerboodle (sometimes, though not my fave), the actual specification from your exam board (my absolute fave thing ever!), past paper mark schemes (I remember this being most useful for RS), you can also search around for youtube channels you find useful e.g. 'Mr Bruff' for english

Here is the routine I like to follow for studying (obvs won't work for all subjects, probs not essay based ones)
-copy down as much useful info from lessons as possible, don't waste time making it look nice
-finish worksheets from the lesson asap
-as soon as we have finished a topic, use as many different resources as possible, along with the specification to write notes that cover everything that could be asked in an exam
-before a test/ exam, focus on past paper questions (e.g. from PMT) and doing active recall of you notes, I do this by reading them, then later trying to rewrite as much of it as possible
-towards mocks/ actual exams I then use physical flashcards. I used to be a really big fan during GCSEs, but not so much for A levels

I wasn't a fan of subjects like english, but I guess focus on exam skills rather than content, and finding structures which work for you and are realistic for the timeframe and your ability.

tysmm!! that's really helpful
Reply 4
Original post by My name's Cy
Search up channels like Justin Sung, Archer Newton and icanstudy.

I just searched them up they're pretty useful thx

Quick Reply

Latest