The Student Room Group

What degree do you have no respect for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Woostar
Title?

Do people have respect for degrees of any type? In my experience it is what you can do and what you know that counts, not the colour of a piece of paper that says you're good at sitting academic exams.
Applied golf management, comedy writing & performance, criminology, floral design, physician associate studies, missionary studies, political communications, sociology, q**er studies, sociology, women's studies.

I've redacted the q term because almost every member of the LGB+ community I've ever spoken to has been deeply hostile to the use of the q term, describing it as a foul manner of referring to other people on par with the d and f slurs directed against homosexuals by hate criminals.
Classics.
Original post by hyacinth77
Classics.

Can’t say that I disagree per say but why?
Original post by Talkative Toad
Can’t say that I disagree per say but why?

I just don't see it as a very versatile degree. Seems to be one of those courses where you can only go into academia/a very niche research field.

I don't know I just don't get the appeal of it
Reply 25
Every STEM degree. Get rid of them all.

I studied Computer Science. Get rid of that especially.
Reply 26
I just don't see it as a very versatile degree. Seems to be one of those courses where you can only go into academia/a very niche research field.

All degrees, but especially those with ancient language requirements, build the brain in really significant ways.

I'm not really directing this at you, but in general: what most students don't realise when they have this weirdly instrumental, regressive view of education is that it's not just about jobs. It is about knowledge, transferrable skills, brain plasticity, and character building. Education isn't (well, actually, it sorta is, but shouldn't be) just a sausage machine for jobs.

EDIT: actually, know what, if people want to treat it that way then that is actually fine. But some people do not, and they should be afforded that opportunity because it is really a matter of good civic hygiene and the social good.
(edited 5 months ago)

I see, fair enough. I mean lots of our politicians did a degree in classics I think.
Reply 28
Original post by Woostar
Title?

Sorry to contradict but I have respect for all the degrees no matter what they are because all of them have impacts on our lives to somewhat. An individual can argue that some degrees have less influence whilst others have more but no one should raise questions against their existence.
Reply 29
Original post by Admit-One
Maths, Science, all Engineering branches, COMPSCI, business related, law, med. Anything the government champions without thought.

Show us on the doll where the STEM touched you.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 30
Business studies.
Reply 31
Original post by Mohammed_80
Politics, Art, Drama, Economics, Maths, Language maybe

Really, economics and maths?
Original post by Laffer
Show us on the doll where the STEM touched you.

Haha, well I graduated with a computing degree decades ago and it’s done me no harm. More a comment on people’s unhealthy fixation on one subject area over another.
Original post by yzven
Really, economics and maths?

I think those two are mistakes
I think those two are mistakes

Why? (Especially Maths).
Why? (Especially Maths).

Well besides the need in everything what careers can you get out of it realistically
Reply 37
Well besides the need in everything what careers can you get out of it realistically

Got to be satire
Reply 38
I’ll state some degrees (this is only my opinion).

-Golf Course/Management (yes this is actually a degree)
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/sportex/app-golf-mgt-studies.aspx
https://www.uhi.ac.uk/en/courses/ba-hons-golf-management/#tabanchor

-Fine Art (this shouldn’t be a university degree in my opinion, it should be apprenticeship/vocational only (I’m only saying this for fine art, not most other arts degrees such as DT, Animation, Screenwriting, film etc)). Same with Drama, should be apprenticeship/vocational only, I’m not sure about fashion though.

-Any degree that effectively only leads you to one career path, not good for versatility as you never know if one day you want to slightly change your career path or type of job. As in if you were to sway away from that career path or job type you wouldn’t be able to do anything with the degree and would have to go back in education (this excludes Healthcare Degrees).

-The degree that I’m doing to some extent, I still love my course though.

Ofc Birmingham offers it
Original post by Food!!
Ofc Birmingham offers it

Why is that ofc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending