The Student Room Group

Dentistry

hello! i am someone who aspired to do a dentistry degree after alevels! for gcses i have 9998888877 which I think are quite okay? things i am also doing/ plan to do in the year are -
- hospital volunteering (specifically the dental area)
- crochet for manual dexterity (i luv arts and crafts)
- science technician help/epq (my school enrichment classes)
- a well-being officer at school
- sell bracelets at school (good for teach references ig and is something i would find fun)
- primary school volunteering (i did over the fat summer)
- helping in classes (within school)
- help at a food bank (perhaps during ramadan/at my local mosque)
- applied to an a2b course at uni of brum and went to med/dent lectures at kcl last year

to be honest i think this is a solid list, and i’ve already done quite a few and am in the process of doing all the rest. along with a solid set of alevels (i am aiming for atleast an A* AA which i hope i can get for the end of years exams), is there anything else you think i can do to improve my application? i guess some unis i’ve been thinking about are uob (bristol and brum), kcl and qmul if that helps
Reply 1
your list is very good however most of the stuff are extra-curriculars and you need mostly super-curriculars! super-curriculars are things like reading a book based on dentistry, reading articles, listening to ted talks, doing MOOC'S (very good for showing interest). get work experience within a dental clinic & make sure to write everything down so u don't forget when writing your personal statement. also your GSCE grades are really good! keep up with the good grades however the most important thing is UCAT so make sure to revise for that over the yr12 summer (don't worry about it rn) but also don't leave it last minute (you need atleast 6-8 weeks)
^^^ Seconded @luvhmuni

Personally I found finding supercurriculars for dentistry really hard to find, here are some off the topic of my head:
- Watching Tedtalks about dentistry (there are plenty on Youtube), these tend to made for the public so aren't as difficult as academic journals (there's a really good one by the Geriatric tooth fairy on looking after the oral health of the aging population)
- Getting a subscription for Dentistry (it's free as it generates its revenue from advertisement), also E-alerts for BDJ and BMJ (british dental/medical journal respectively), I would try read the opinion pieces and news sections as some of the research published can be difficult to understand and you might run the risk of misinterpretting them and getting incorrect information
- Books such as Face to Face (Jim McCaul) on Oral and Maxfax surgery (could be related to your volunteering), Jaws (Kahn and Ehrlich) on alternative orthodontics (highly enjoyable!), Teeth (Mary Otto) on the holistic effects of oral health
- I would avoid the book It's all in your mouth, a lot of the claims that the books makes are not evidence based and can be very misleading as the author presents them as fact rather then speculation and theory (if you're interested in research and analysing quality of research I would recommend Bad Science or anything Ben Goldacre writes, not strictly dent related but good nonetheless)
- Nothing but the Tooth by Yang is good, but the dentist is American so just be aware of some differences to British and NHS dentistry :smile: (e.g. In the UK we don't really have medical/dental insurance, and if we do it works in a different way)
- As for MOOCs (these are all free), University of Sheffield has a very good one, so goes Uni of Glasgow, and UPenn (the UPenn one is very science heavy and definitely takes the most amount of time, not really worth it), be aware that some dent moocs are for graduates (like the dental implants one I tried to slog through, definitely wouldn't recommend)

Hope that helps :smile: Ultimately admissions teams know that books/supercurricular reading on dentistry is difficult to find and there aren't as many resources as med so you can still do med related supercurriculars as well (but remember to reflect on how these can be related to dent!):

I would also recommend:
- Books: Medical Ethics (Dunn and Hope), Do no harm (Marsh), When Breath Becomes Air (Kalanthi), Bad Science (Ben Goldacre)
Reply 3
Original post by luvhmuni
your list is very good however most of the stuff are extra-curriculars and you need mostly super-curriculars! super-curriculars are things like reading a book based on dentistry, reading articles, listening to ted talks, doing MOOC'S (very good for showing interest). get work experience within a dental clinic & make sure to write everything down so u don't forget when writing your personal statement. also your GSCE grades are really good! keep up with the good grades however the most important thing is UCAT so make sure to revise for that over the yr12 summer (don't worry about it rn) but also don't leave it last minute (you need atleast 6-8 weeks)

first of all, thanks for your reply! its been hard finding dental work experience as ive been rejected everywhere, hence why I will just go to a hospital and ask to go specifically to the maxillofacial area! Ive heard of MOOC but dont exactly know what it is, do you have any specific examples or lists? Im starting the whole medic mentor programme this week, so I hope that would satisfy the ted talk/conference listening aspect. UCAT-wise, Im thinking of starting small revision in January, maybe around an hour a week, not too much. But obviously increase this when the summer comes closer (june time? considering i will also have my mocks to prepare for), as ill probably sit it in august
Reply 4
Original post by toothysmile
^^^ Seconded @luvhmuni

Personally I found finding supercurriculars for dentistry really hard to find, here are some off the topic of my head:
- Watching Tedtalks about dentistry (there are plenty on Youtube), these tend to made for the public so aren't as difficult as academic journals (there's a really good one by the Geriatric tooth fairy on looking after the oral health of the aging population)
- Getting a subscription for Dentistry (it's free as it generates its revenue from advertisement), also E-alerts for BDJ and BMJ (british dental/medical journal respectively), I would try read the opinion pieces and news sections as some of the research published can be difficult to understand and you might run the risk of misinterpretting them and getting incorrect information
- Books such as Face to Face (Jim McCaul) on Oral and Maxfax surgery (could be related to your volunteering), Jaws (Kahn and Ehrlich) on alternative orthodontics (highly enjoyable!), Teeth (Mary Otto) on the holistic effects of oral health
- I would avoid the book It's all in your mouth, a lot of the claims that the books makes are not evidence based and can be very misleading as the author presents them as fact rather then speculation and theory (if you're interested in research and analysing quality of research I would recommend Bad Science or anything Ben Goldacre writes, not strictly dent related but good nonetheless)
- Nothing but the Tooth by Yang is good, but the dentist is American so just be aware of some differences to British and NHS dentistry :smile: (e.g. In the UK we don't really have medical/dental insurance, and if we do it works in a different way)
- As for MOOCs (these are all free), University of Sheffield has a very good one, so goes Uni of Glasgow, and UPenn (the UPenn one is very science heavy and definitely takes the most amount of time, not really worth it), be aware that some dent moocs are for graduates (like the dental implants one I tried to slog through, definitely wouldn't recommend)

Hope that helps :smile: Ultimately admissions teams know that books/supercurricular reading on dentistry is difficult to find and there aren't as many resources as med so you can still do med related supercurriculars as well (but remember to reflect on how these can be related to dent!):

I would also recommend:
- Books: Medical Ethics (Dunn and Hope), Do no harm (Marsh), When Breath Becomes Air (Kalanthi), Bad Science (Ben Goldacre)

oh my gosh this is so much and actually quite informative thank u so much! these are definitely being added to my list right now. You mentioned that this was difficult to get through, I assume you have gone through the process and are in uni/year13 right now? How are u finding it (whatever stage ur in)? And i agree! finding things to do is quite difficult because more things are targeted for those doing medicine, as in universties hold so much 'getting into med' courses, that wouldnt necessarily relate to dent which can be annoying. But for now ive applied for a few things (A biological molecules course at imperial college london, and the r2p course at birmingham), which I hope go well!
Original post by dormir07
oh my gosh this is so much and actually quite informative thank u so much! these are definitely being added to my list right now. You mentioned that this was difficult to get through, I assume you have gone through the process and are in uni/year13 right now? How are u finding it (whatever stage ur in)? And i agree! finding things to do is quite difficult because more things are targeted for those doing medicine, as in universties hold so much 'getting into med' courses, that wouldnt necessarily relate to dent which can be annoying. But for now ive applied for a few things (A biological molecules course at imperial college london, and the r2p course at birmingham), which I hope go well!

I'm in year 13 :smile: It's actually really good, I'm finding it better than yr 12... It's probably cos I've done my admissions test (UCAT in the summer) and handed in my UCAS form so I'm just chilling...
Touch wood I get into the unis I've applied for ofc.
UCAT-wise, Im thinking of starting small revision in January, maybe around an hour a week, not too much. But obviously increase this when the summer comes closer (june time? considering i will also have my mocks to prepare for), as ill probably sit it in august

Some UCAT revision advice:
- Use Medentry not Medify - Medify qs are just awful (They got exposed for getting yr 12 and yr 13 to write BMAT qs...), also they focus on quantity of questions rather than quality like Medentry (also Medify SJT is the worst don't get me started...). If you are using Medentry just getting the q bank is enough, you can get the comprehensive packages but they are not necessary (and way too expensive)
- As for books I would buy 2: the Kaplan and ISC book - all the others are not needed, these books are great for tips and gaining knowledge but don't rely on them for practice - a lot of this test is being able to use the computer system as fast as possible (e.g. the calculator in QR)
- Practice is key!!! You can watch as many videos (I would recommend Future Doc and EddyEmilUCAT) as you want but in the end you should practice, I did 3-4 months prep with the first 2 months doing 30mins - 1 hr each day and later on 10+ hours a day (don't bother with tuition, it's so unnecessary - practice is golden!
- Repeatedly do the UCAT official Q bank - these will be the most realistic source you can get so repeatedly do these - I did all the qs available at least 3 times each (your real score would be doing mocks C and D a couple days before the UCAT and getting their average)
- For SJT keep a list of common scenarios and write down the answers (if in doubt choose A or D as 70% of ans are A and D, don’t put B or C!!!)
- Don’t forget SJT, people always forget this section and in some unis like Cardiff UCAT numerical score is worth 5 points and SJT is worth 4 points!!!
- VR sucks!! Everyone struggles with VR… It’s an impossible section and if you can’t do it, just put it into perspective (everyone else is struggling as well) and at the end of the day, the UCAT is a bell curve so don’t get disheartened 😊
- Track your results! Have a spread sheet where you plot all your results, it's a great confidence booster and you can see long term improvement rather than day to day fluctuations or test difficulties
- Also do all the harder mocks first before doing the easier ones - means you'll be getting better and better results close to exam day and it will be more motivating and prevents burn out

Here's my blog that I used this summer to help revise, might be helpful: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7369704
first of all, thanks for your reply! its been hard finding dental work experience as ive been rejected everywhere, hence why I will just go to a hospital and ask to go specifically to the maxillofacial area! Ive heard of MOOC but dont exactly know what it is, do you have any specific examples or lists?

Volunteering is also really important - it's easier to find volunteering work experience (and more useful!) try local carehomes, hospice, charities, hospitals.
If you plan on applying to UniSheffield you have to do their MOOC and I found it more comprehensive than most clinical work experience that I did, here's the link: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/discover-dentistry

Quick Reply

Latest