The Student Room Group

Applying for dental hygiene -> dentistry

I was doing Biochem at a pretty prestigious uni in London but I didn't like the sound of the career pathways coming from Biochem nor the uni. I've worked in hospitals a lot so I know I like interacting with patients but I think medicine would do quite a toll on me emotionally with the hours and the risks of doing something wrong.

I feel like dentistry is a good middle ground because I would be earning a good amount after graduation. I missed the 2024 entry apps for dentistry. My issue is how long it will take me to get there since I'm 22 right now and if I apply for dentistry I'll be like 29 by the time I graduate. Which is why I was considering applying for Dental Therapy and Hygiene as I heard you also earn a decent amount (though not as much as dentistry obviously) after grad and if you do well enough, for Liverpool Uni there's an option to move onto the Dentistry course, which I'm sure is even more competitive than applying for Dentistry itself.

I got AAA in Bio, Chem and Latin in 2020 so I was wondering how my chances are looking for Dentistry and what unis people really recommend applying for. And also my chances of DT&H -> Dentistry and if any other unis offer this pathway? Has anyone gotten into KCL or QMUL or Plymouth with AAA from contextual offers? Should I just get a job and save money in the meantime and wait to apply for 2025 Dentistry?
hi, your alevel grades are good so whatever you pick dentistry or dth you'll be fine, and it doesnt matter how old you are when you graduate you should do it! both courses are very competitive and there is ucat with dentistry. dth is very competitive (more competitive than dentistry) but no ucat and most unis require ABB

Quick Reply

Latest