The Student Room Group

Am I unlikely to be chosen for a medicine course if I am only doing chem and bio?

I spoke to some university students and they were telling me that medicine is very competitive and most people doing it are doing at least 3 related A levels. I would do physics but my school doesn't offer it, and I can't take a level maths. Right now I'm doing A level biology and chemistry. Should I take another course instead of medicine? I don't have any preferences in courses.
Reply 1
Original post by Salicylic acid
I spoke to some university students and they were telling me that medicine is very competitive and most people doing it are doing at least 3 related A levels. I would do physics but my school doesn't offer it, and I can't take a level maths. Right now I'm doing A level biology and chemistry. Should I take another course instead of medicine? I don't have any preferences in courses.

I believe that only Cambridge require three sciences and, whilst a significant amount of people do do three sciences who study medicine elsewhere, it's more about the UCAT / BMAT / predicted grades rather than having a third science so you should be fine. That being said, if you want to go for medicine you really need to be committed to medicine specifically, rather than just any course

They should be enough to do medicine as long as you can get the grades

As noted above the only university where you need a third STEM subject to be competitive is Cambridge (and they make this clear).

The others don't care what your third subject is (there are two that prefer it to be an "academic" subject but that encompasses most A-levels other than vocational/applied subjects like electronics) so you are fine.

You do need to be doing 3 A-levels total, but what the third one is doesn't matter outside of Cambridge.
Ltd of info in this thread:

Medicine AL subject queries

Quick Reply

Latest