The Student Room Group

Manchester School of Architecture digital portfolio

We are given that the portfolio must be between 10-12 images, what exactly is considered as 1 image, could I place more pictures on one and consider that jpeg as one image?
How strict are they on the image limit?
Original post by Bob16523
We are given that the portfolio must be between 10-12 images, what exactly is considered as 1 image, could I place more pictures on one and consider that jpeg as one image?

If you search manchester uni architecture portfolio blogspot, you will be able to see examples of portfolios from previous applicants.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
If you search manchester uni architecture portfolio blogspot, you will be able to see examples of portfolios from previous applicants.

I have searched and looked at many portfolios on blogspot which showed many to go over the image limit. Its hard to gauge if that is something they allow as i cant find out if that portfolio got the person accepted or not.
I have searched and looked at many portfolios on blogspot which showed many to go over the image limit. Its hard to gauge if that is something they allow as i cant find out if that portfolio got the person accepted or not.

@arch17 can you offer any advice?
Original post by normaw
@arch17 can you offer any advice?

hi there! i'm a first year at msa so i'll try my best. with my portfolio, i literally stuck to 12 different pictures. i included 5 different projects and bodies of work so 3 were drawings from my first one, 3 were paintings, 4 were modelling (1 outcome and the rest were process photos) and 2 were experimental. if you'd like me to have a look at what youve got so far to make sure youre within the limit feel free to ask!
Reply 5
Original post by arch17
hi there! i'm a first year at msa so i'll try my best. with my portfolio, i literally stuck to 12 different pictures. i included 5 different projects and bodies of work so 3 were drawings from my first one, 3 were paintings, 4 were modelling (1 outcome and the rest were process photos) and 2 were experimental. if you'd like me to have a look at what youve got so far to make sure youre within the limit feel free to ask!

Hi, I have already had to submit my portfolio but feel free to have a look and give me your opinion, I am not the most proficient artist and am just slightly worried I didn't show the best range of media but I did my best outlining my other strengths. I was also conservative with my images as to not go over the limit.
https://1762497163.blogspot.com/2023/10/manchester-school-of-architecture.html

Thanks
Original post by arch17

Is it possible if I could see your portfolio?
I am really struggling with mine and dont think I'll get it done in time for when I want to submit my UCAS application
Original post by Annabelllaaa
Is it possible if I could see your portfolio?
I am really struggling with mine and dont think I'll get it done in time for when I want to submit my UCAS application

You don't need to have your portfolio ready by the time you submit your UCAS application. Unis will need to process your application and then request your portfolio if they want to proceed further. On average, unis give 3-6 weeks to submit a portfolio.

As I mentioned above, google manchester uni architecture portfolio blogspot to see examples of portfolios from previous applicants.
Original post by normaw
You don't need to have your portfolio ready by the time you submit your UCAS application. Unis will need to process your application and then request your portfolio if they want to proceed further. On average, unis give 3-6 weeks to submit a portfolio.

As I mentioned above, google manchester uni architecture portfolio blogspot to see examples of portfolios from previous applicants.

Oh okay thank you I didn’t know that- another question the unis I want to apply to require AAA-ABB and my predicted grades that I am using for UCAS have just moved from ABB- BBB (my UCAS predicted grades are BBB) would you still recommend me applying to unis that require ABB/ AAA
Oh okay thank you I didn’t know that- another question the unis I want to apply to require AAA-ABB and my predicted grades that I am using for UCAS have just moved from ABB- BBB (my UCAS predicted grades are BBB) would you still recommend me applying to unis that require ABB/ AAA

The usual advice is one 'aspirational' choice just above your predicted grades, two or three at your predicted grades and one or two below your grades so you're almost certain to get at least one offer.

You don't have to enter all your choices now. You can apply to a couple of choices now, see what offers you get and then decide how 'safe' you need to be with your other choices that you can add by the January deadline.
Reply 10
UPDATE

Hi, So far I have received offer from the Manchester School of Architecture for AAA, Sheffield University Architecture AAA and Sheffield University Architecture and Landscape AAA.

I am still waiting for Cambridge (I have an interview date) and Nottingham for responses.
UPDATE

Hi, So far I have received offer from the Manchester School of Architecture for AAA, Sheffield University Architecture AAA and Sheffield University Architecture and Landscape AAA.

I am still waiting for Cambridge (I have an interview date) and Nottingham for responses.

How was the application process for Manchester, if possible could I see you portfolio?
Reply 12
How was the application process for Manchester, if possible could I see you portfolio?

The process was quite smooth, once you submit your UCAS application, you will be notified soon after by each of your choices requesting a portfolio from you, to submit by a date around a month later (at least for me). They will ask you to make a blogspot portfolio (https://1762497163.blogspot.com/2023/10/manchester-school-of-architecture.html) and submit it via email. Around 3 weeks later I received an offer and an additional fee status questionnaire. My portfolio has a much more architectural base due to my college course where I included a mix range of media. I was initially worried as I didn't have many traditionally artistic pieces like most other portfolios I found but it seems like that wasn't an issue. I also decided to include more of a project flow to the portfolio as I felt it would work better.
The process was quite smooth, once you submit your UCAS application, you will be notified soon after by each of your choices requesting a portfolio from you, to submit by a date around a month later (at least for me). They will ask you to make a blogspot portfolio (https://1762497163.blogspot.com/2023/10/manchester-school-of-architecture.html) and submit it via email. Around 3 weeks later I received an offer and an additional fee status questionnaire. My portfolio has a much more architectural base due to my college course where I included a mix range of media. I was initially worried as I didn't have many traditionally artistic pieces like most other portfolios I found but it seems like that wasn't an issue. I also decided to include more of a project flow to the portfolio as I felt it would work better.

Oh okay that’s a pretty smooth process so do you think it would be okay to submit my application even tho my portfolio isn’t 100% finished
Reply 14
Oh okay that’s a pretty smooth process so do you think it would be okay to submit my application even tho my portfolio isn’t 100% finished

I am really bad for this but I didn't assemble my portfolio for a long time and only did it with 2 days to spare, only because I had previous work that I could use and only had to fill in a few gaps. Even if you haven't got it ready, Im sure you could fill in any drawings in the remaining time frame. Could I see your portfolio so far?
I am really bad for this but I didn't assemble my portfolio for a long time and only did it with 2 days to spare, only because I had previous work that I could use and only had to fill in a few gaps. Even if you haven't got it ready, Im sure you could fill in any drawings in the remaining time frame. Could I see your portfolio so far?

Alright I’ll send you a message

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending