The Student Room Group

Cambridge Architecture Personal Statement and Portfolio

I'm a year 12 student currently studying maths, physics and geography. In year 13 i want to apply for cambridge architecture however first i need to start thinking about my personal statement and portfolio. Does anyone have any examples of theirs they could show me to give me some ideas. There's isn't really much examples of these sort of personal statements on the internet.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Applied in: Winter 2013

University Offers: Cambridge Interview, UCL, Bath, Edinburgh, Westminster

https://personalstatement-examples.com/personal-statements/74

As part of a two week work experience at a London based architectural firm, I was around for the design phase of one of their French projects. The practice had won the competition to design a museum in Narbonne. Unlike traditional museums the aim was to merge a visitors’ space with the research areas and in doing so provide a more informative and democratic experience. The project’s design was informed by a series of constraints: an industrial location on a riverbank, public financing and proximity to a developing auto-route. From the start the project at Narbonne suggested that a building’s aesthetic is shaped not just by an ideal of what is beautiful, whatever that may be, but rather a complex tangle of economic, social and political considerations. The architects I was shadowing appeared to see themselves as a kind of mediator between these. They seemed resigned to the reality that their original ideas for a building would soon be attacked from all sides by others, and that the end result would inevitably be a compromise.

Political, financial and construction difficulties aside, the team at Foster + Partners working on Narbonne wanted to create a space that would not only be practical for museum staff, but to create a ‘good’ place to visit. Inside a central rectangular building a metal spine separating the visitors and research areas appeared to free stand under a vast floating roof. The spine, in the form of industrial shelving would invite the visitor to peer through to the other side. Manipulating the space’s effect on a viewer was key for the team and relied on understanding how people themselves behaved in different places. At board meetings the architects spent time contemplating ways to accommodate all sorts. I realized that trying to provide for a ‘standard’ visitor was going to be difficult. Georges Perecs raises some of these difficulties in ‘Species of space and other Pieces’, emphasizing that space is seen through many eyes, under many different conditions. From these discussions inevitably rose the question, what made a space a ‘good’ one?

This question seemed at the heart of Richard Roger’s thinking in a recent retrospective I went to in London. For him a building could not only articulate the values of a better society but also encourage them to prosper. I’d never been particularly drawn to the ‘look’ of the Pompidou centre, but listening to Roger’s explanation of the building as a product of 1960’s openness, the ability to change according to use through an open plan gave me a better appreciation of what the building was trying to do. Like the ideas for the Narbonne museum, it reflects its open, transparent values by displaying its processes, its workings, its structure, and in doing so, leads a viewer to feel they understand it, that they can approach it. Whether successful or not, Rogers ideals of a better and fairer society linked to, and shaped, his plans for the layout of surroundings that he created. I find his projects exciting in their originality, though perhaps not aesthetically and I hold my closer look at his work responsible for my strong questioning of whether or not something must be explained in order for it to be appreciated.

Both these personal experiences confirmed to me architecture’s potential as a tool capable of shaping, even controlling, the way we experience the world. Rogers’s plans were based around a political ideal of equality, sustainability and democratic openness yet I feel aware too this can be used in less perfect ways. Where Cathedrals impose, uplift and inspire perhaps with their scale or Neocalassical architecture has shown itself capable of being used as a way to assert power and control. Architecture, as a discipline that integrates creativity, pragmatism with an understanding of people and place appeals strongly to me. When I row I work as part of a team that has a clear objective, I am conscious when I design a website or when I make a short video of who I am appealing to and the effects I am trying to evoke in them. These are a few of the reasons I would like to study architecture.
Original post by jacobwaddy1
I'm a year 12 student currently studying maths, physics and geography. In year 13 i want to apply for cambridge architecture however first i need to start thinking about my personal statement and portfolio. Does anyone have any examples of theirs they could show me to give me some ideas. There's isn't really much examples of these sort of personal statements on the internet.

Personal statements:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/architecture/

Portfolio examples:

If you Google manchester uni architecture portfolio blogspot, you will be able to see lots of examples of portfolios submitted by undergraduate applicants.

Cambridge - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEstAcYHC8g

UCL - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Mim-ogYGg

Also, keep and eye on the Architecture, Building and Planning forum - we'll be starting a 2024 applicants thread in late summer.
Reply 3
thank you so much. just what i asked for will use this for ideas :smile:

Original post by thegeek888
Applied in: Winter 2013

University Offers: Cambridge Interview, UCL, Bath, Edinburgh, Westminster

https://personalstatement-examples.com/personal-statements/74

As part of a two week work experience at a London based architectural firm, I was around for the design phase of one of their French projects. The practice had won the competition to design a museum in Narbonne. Unlike traditional museums the aim was to merge a visitors’ space with the research areas and in doing so provide a more informative and democratic experience. The project’s design was informed by a series of constraints: an industrial location on a riverbank, public financing and proximity to a developing auto-route. From the start the project at Narbonne suggested that a building’s aesthetic is shaped not just by an ideal of what is beautiful, whatever that may be, but rather a complex tangle of economic, social and political considerations. The architects I was shadowing appeared to see themselves as a kind of mediator between these. They seemed resigned to the reality that their original ideas for a building would soon be attacked from all sides by others, and that the end result would inevitably be a compromise.

Political, financial and construction difficulties aside, the team at Foster + Partners working on Narbonne wanted to create a space that would not only be practical for museum staff, but to create a ‘good’ place to visit. Inside a central rectangular building a metal spine separating the visitors and research areas appeared to free stand under a vast floating roof. The spine, in the form of industrial shelving would invite the visitor to peer through to the other side. Manipulating the space’s effect on a viewer was key for the team and relied on understanding how people themselves behaved in different places. At board meetings the architects spent time contemplating ways to accommodate all sorts. I realized that trying to provide for a ‘standard’ visitor was going to be difficult. Georges Perecs raises some of these difficulties in ‘Species of space and other Pieces’, emphasizing that space is seen through many eyes, under many different conditions. From these discussions inevitably rose the question, what made a space a ‘good’ one?

This question seemed at the heart of Richard Roger’s thinking in a recent retrospective I went to in London. For him a building could not only articulate the values of a better society but also encourage them to prosper. I’d never been particularly drawn to the ‘look’ of the Pompidou centre, but listening to Roger’s explanation of the building as a product of 1960’s openness, the ability to change according to use through an open plan gave me a better appreciation of what the building was trying to do. Like the ideas for the Narbonne museum, it reflects its open, transparent values by displaying its processes, its workings, its structure, and in doing so, leads a viewer to feel they understand it, that they can approach it. Whether successful or not, Rogers ideals of a better and fairer society linked to, and shaped, his plans for the layout of surroundings that he created. I find his projects exciting in their originality, though perhaps not aesthetically and I hold my closer look at his work responsible for my strong questioning of whether or not something must be explained in order for it to be appreciated.

Both these personal experiences confirmed to me architecture’s potential as a tool capable of shaping, even controlling, the way we experience the world. Rogers’s plans were based around a political ideal of equality, sustainability and democratic openness yet I feel aware too this can be used in less perfect ways. Where Cathedrals impose, uplift and inspire perhaps with their scale or Neocalassical architecture has shown itself capable of being used as a way to assert power and control. Architecture, as a discipline that integrates creativity, pragmatism with an understanding of people and place appeals strongly to me. When I row I work as part of a team that has a clear objective, I am conscious when I design a website or when I make a short video of who I am appealing to and the effects I am trying to evoke in them. These are a few of the reasons I would like to study architecture.
Reply 4
thank you so much, i will use these resources! :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
thank you so much, i will use these resources! :smile:

Hi - I saw you sent me a PM, I'm a new member so its not allowing me to respond privately.

I am doing History, philosophy, art - predicted 3 A*s.

Applied to Cambridge, UCL, Manchester, Nottingham, Edinburgh

Got interview at Cambridge
Got rejected by UCL
Offer from Manchester and Nottingham
Not heard from Edinburgh

I didn't know you could swap an offer from somewhere you haven't heard from - how are you doing that?
Reply 6
Original post by saragolding
Hi - I saw you sent me a PM, I'm a new member so its not allowing me to respond privately.

Got rejected by UCL
Not heard from Edinburgh

I didn't know you could swap an offer from somewhere you haven't heard from - how are you doing that?

Thanks for getting back, your options seem really well suited to Architecture particularly at places like Edinbrugh and Cambridge. Basically it is because the course content changed, so it is classed as an exceptional circumstance meaning I could choose to substitute my option for another one but only if I wanted to. Normally you can only swap your option in the first 2 weeks but in 'exceptional circumstances' you can after that. Congrats on the interview, I also got one at Cambridge. I haven't head back from UCL but i don't partcularly think I'll be lucky as I do not have art as an alevel. Did they ask you for a portfolio?
(edited 3 months ago)
Thanks for getting back, your options seem really well suited to Architecture particularly at places like Edinbrugh and Cambridge. Basically it is because the course content changed, so it is classed as an exceptional circumstance meaning I could choose to substitute my option for another one but only if I wanted to. Normally you can only swap your option in the first 2 weeks but in 'exceptional circumstances' you can after that. Congrats on the interview, I also got one at Cambridge. I haven't head back from UCL but i don't partcularly think I'll be lucky as I do not have art as an alevel. Did they ask you for a portfolio?

Ohh that’s interesting - what college? I had mine at Pembroke. I got rejected from UCL after I sent portfolio 🥲
Reply 8
It was at Selwyn college. At least UCL asked for a portfolio. They are very selective and will get rid of so many good applicants which is a shame.
It was at Selwyn college. At least UCL asked for a portfolio. They are very selective and will get rid of so many good applicants which is a shame.

Oh nice! We’ll just have to wait until 24th now I live in London anyway so didn’t rlly wanna go anyway, I want to move out of home and not spend extra money on halls in London.
Reply 10
Oh nice! We’ll just have to wait until 24th now I live in London anyway so didn’t rlly wanna go anyway, I want to move out of home and not spend extra money on halls in London.

I get what you mean about moving out. I live near Sheffield Uni, although it ranks well I wouldn’t go there. As for London, in my opinion it is just far too expensive anyway so you will save money if you were to go into uni accommodation anywhere else. Where else have you applied?
(edited 3 months ago)

Got rejected by UCL
Not heard from Edinburgh

Cambridge, UCL, Manchester, Nottingham and Edinburgh - you?
Reply 12
Cambridge, UCL, Manchester, Nottingham and Edinburgh - you?

So I applied Cambridge, UCL, Manchester, Newcastle and Bath. I haven't heard anything from any of them in terms of offers. However, I just added Manchester, how long did they take to ask for a portfolio? I know you have to make a blogger website don't you.
So I applied Cambridge, UCL, Manchester, Newcastle and Bath. I haven't heard anything from any of them in terms of offers. However, I just added Manchester, how long did they take to ask for a portfolio? I know you have to make a blogger website don't you.

Oh fine - yeah for me it was between Newcastle and Manchester, and couldn't apply to Bath because they need maths.

For UCL I got an email on 4th Oct asking for portfolio due on 18th Oct, then got rejection on 18th Dec.

In the UCL email it said:

[start]All applicants who apply to Bartlett School of Architecture are requested to submit a portfolio. We would now like to invite you to participate in the next stage of the application process, which involves the submission of a 10-page Portfolio (maximum size 5MB). Please note your academic qualifications will be fully assessed following the receipt of your Portfolio and your application and Portfolio will not be considered further if your qualifications do not meet the advertised requirements for the programme you have applied for. [/start]

For Manchester I got an email on 11th Oct asking for portfolio (blogger post) due on 31st Oct, then got my offer on 20th Dec.
Reply 14
Oh fine - yeah for me it was between Newcastle and Manchester, and couldn't apply to Bath because they need maths.

For UCL I got an email on 4th Oct asking for portfolio due on 18th Oct, then got rejection on 18th Dec.

[start]All applicants who apply to Bartlett School of Architecture are requested to submit a portfolio. We would now like to invite you to participate in the next stage of the application process, which involves the submission of a 10-page Portfolio (maximum size 5MB). Please note your academic qualifications will be fully assessed following the receipt of your Portfolio and your application and Portfolio will not be considered further if your qualifications do not meet the advertised requirements for the programme you have applied for. [/start]

For Manchester I got an email on 11th Oct asking for portfolio (blogger post) due on 31st Oct, then got my offer on 20th Dec.

So yeah i submitted the UCL one at the end of october, I should expect a decision soon probably then. Well done on your Manchester offer, I really hope I get in too. When did you apply to uni alltogether?
So yeah i submitted the UCL one at the end of october, I should expect a decision soon probably then. Well done on your Manchester offer, I really hope I get in too. When did you apply to uni alltogether?

Yeahh - UCL said they hold interviews between Jan and April so don't lose hope! Thank you :smile: Im sure you will! I think my UCAS application was sent off on 7th September but then it had to be approved by my teachers, but yeah some time around Sep-Oct.
Reply 16

Did you do your interview with UCL yet?
Reply 17
Original post by kjhgbhn
Did you do your interview with UCL yet?

No I didn’t l. I’ve only had confirmation that they’ve recieved my portfolio.
Reply 18

It’s so funny that I submitted my Manchester application earlier than you but still haven’t heard back from them🙂
Original post by kjhgbhn
It’s so funny that I submitted my Manchester application earlier than you but still haven’t heard back from them🙂

Ahh I’m sure you’ll hear back any day then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending