The Student Room Group

Forces Maths A Level Question

hi, here's the question that i'm stuck on:

A sledge is found to travel with uniform speed down a slope of 1 in 50 (i.e. at an angle x with the horizontal such that sinx=1/50). If the sledge starts from the bottom of the same slope with a speed of 2m/s, how far will it travel up the slope before coming to rest?

i mean, i have an idea of what to do, like find the acceleration of the sledge and then sub that into the SUVAT equation to find the distance travelled, but i don't know how to calculate the acceleration here. i initially tried subbing in just mg as the weight of the sledge and got an acceleration of -g/50, but that didn't give me the correct answer. any help would be appreciated.
Original post by aditi_idk
hi, here's the question that i'm stuck on:

A sledge is found to travel with uniform speed down a slope of 1 in 50 (i.e. at an angle x with the horizontal such that sinx=1/50). If the sledge starts from the bottom of the same slope with a speed of 2m/s, how far will it travel up the slope before coming to rest?

i mean, i have an idea of what to do, like find the acceleration of the sledge and then sub that into the SUVAT equation to find the distance travelled, but i don't know how to calculate the acceleration here. i initially tried subbing in just mg as the weight of the sledge and got an acceleration of -g/50, but that didn't give me the correct answer. any help would be appreciated.

When going up the slope, there are two forces acting down for the slege: a weight component force, and friction. Both will contribute to the deceleration.

Quick Reply

Latest