The Student Room Group

How can I get up to A level knowlege?

I'm on a science Access to HE course and am struggling as I started 2 weeks late but regardless.
How can I reach the equivalent level of knowledge as A levels, considering the condensed time? I am certain that they cannot pack 2 years of 3 sciences at level 3 into a 1-year course without making it less in-depth.
Just wanted to know what you might have done during the course, or if it was a surprise when you entered uni with how much you did/ didn't know. Should I use Anki?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
It’s definitely not remotely equivalent to a levels, I’ve done both and access literally cover like the first half term of a levels and that’s it. It kinda depends what you want to go into, if you don’t need the in depth chemistry knowledge and all the plant bio it’s kind of a bonus…
Luckily I’ve not had any issues because I had the a level knowledge there but a few of my peers have struggled quite significantly with just access course knowledge. I would recommend doing a lot more in depth learning on cells and everything relating to them which can be done through textbooks, YouTube, and apps like anki/quizlet
Reply 2
Original post by ALEreapp
It’s definitely not remotely equivalent to a levels, I’ve done both and access literally cover like the first half term of a levels and that’s it. It kinda depends what you want to go into, if you don’t need the in depth chemistry knowledge and all the plant bio it’s kind of a bonus…
Luckily I’ve not had any issues because I had the a level knowledge there but a few of my peers have struggled quite significantly with just access course knowledge. I would recommend doing a lot more in depth learning on cells and everything relating to them which can be done through textbooks, YouTube, and apps like anki/quizlet

Well, my course places more emphasis on the biology and chemistry work, which is good since my aim is to take biochemistry. Also, how would you approach studying and completing assignments? Should I go into more depth than they ask to get distinctions and help with my understanding, or should I save that after finishing my assignments? I'm also curious about your strategies for revising previous modules once assignments were completed.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending