The Student Room Group

Where to start for career in IT

Hello. Hope you guys are well. I was wondering what type of job/jobs would be perfect to start of my career in ICT. I graduated with a degree in Computing and have studied ICT my whole life from GCSE at A-Levels before pursuing it. I have ambitious aspirations for example to work as a Tech Support Technician. Own my own IT firm as a manager, and even teach the subject I love most and find interesting. I’ve considered apprenticeships as the way forward to build the necessary skills and practical hands on experience alongside further theoretical knowledge although applications for me haven’t worked out yet so far, so what jobs whether in retail for example involving IT work or ICT jobs in itself is considered a starting point to develop crucial skills and valuable experience and build on from there.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Mohammed_80
Hello. Hope you guys are well. I was wondering what type of job/jobs would be perfect to start of my career in ICT. I graduated with a degree in Computing and have studied ICT my whole life from GCSE at A-Levels before pursuing it. I have ambitious aspirations for example to work as a Tech Support Technician. Own my own IT firm as a manager, and even teach the subject I love most and find interesting. I’ve considered apprenticeships as the way forward to build the necessary skills and practical hands on experience alongside further theoretical knowledge although applications for me haven’t worked out yet so far, so what jobs whether in retail for example involving IT work or ICT jobs in itself is considered a starting point to develop crucial skills and valuable experience and build on from there.

Thank you :smile:

I think if possibly studying for some certs might help, for example CCNA if you wanted to learn more about networking. I would say the entry positions for alot of IT jobs is IT help desk - you could try getting one of these positions?
Reply 2
The generic response that I read is what was stated above - do your certifications and work on the help desk.

Look to volunteer at organisations that repair IT equipment to gain some real world experience.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending