The Student Room Group

Therapeutic radiography - is it a good career

Is therapeutic radiography a good career?

Initially I wanted to do diagnostic but have been offered a place at therapeutic.

I have researched quite a bit about the profession and I really do think I will enjoy it.

But is it a good career though? What does people think of this career?
First of all, you need to define what you mean by "good career" because that can mean different things to different people. Let me know what's important to you and I will try to answer.

But I haven't regretted my career choice one bit.
Reply 2
Original post by HellomynameisNev
First of all, you need to define what you mean by "good career" because that can mean different things to different people. Let me know what's important to you and I will try to answer.

But I haven't regretted my career choice one bit.

Ok, so for me a good career is something I will enjoy doing (and I think that will be the case with radiotherapy). But it ALSO means being able to progress through the career ladder and earn more money! (pls dont judge me for that :colondollar:)

I was also wondering what is the route to becoming a consultant therapeutic radiographer and to be a lecturer.
Original post by lamiyak0002
Ok, so for me a good career is something I will enjoy doing (and I think that will be the case with radiotherapy). But it ALSO means being able to progress through the career ladder and earn more money! (pls dont judge me for that :colondollar:)

I was also wondering what is the route to becoming a consultant therapeutic radiographer and to be a lecturer.

Money wise its the same as any other of the Allied Health Professions, you start on Agenda for Change Band 5. You can usually make Senior (Band 6 in 2-3 years). Making Band 7 depends on where you work - some places have very little movement at the top of their departments and you're basically waiting for people to retire, others have lots of opportunities for promotions.

Consultant radiographer would take ~10 years. After your degree you'd need to follow that up with a masters and there's a lot of extra training and career development involved. There's not many job roles either, my medium sized department only has two consultant radiographers (breast & palliative), as well as two advanced practitioners (urology & gynae).

Lecturer you'd have to start getting involved with the education team in your department, mentoring students, doing training etc. Becoming your departments Professional Education lead is also often a stepping stone. At SHU they would often have radiographers give "guest lectures" and two of these were subsequently employed as lecturers, one of them with only ~3 years experience. Most lecturers get a masters in something to do with teaching/education.

Quick Reply

Latest