The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Job/Internship in the Uk

Hey guys! I am an incoming MSc Management student at Durham University. I'm currently based out of India, however, I'm looking for opportunities in Newcastle/Durham or any other (remote option if outside these cities) in the UK. Can someone give me tips on how to do that? I wish to secure an internship/job before I leave and I'm open to working even before I start my degree. I am sending cold emails, and explaining my background. If anyone has any tips kindly share it here please. Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys! I am an incoming MSc Management student at Durham University. I'm currently based out of India, however, I'm looking for opportunities in Newcastle/Durham or any other (remote option if outside these cities) in the UK. Can someone give me tips on how to do that? I wish to secure an internship/job before I leave and I'm open to working even before I start my degree. I am sending cold emails, and explaining my background. If anyone has any tips kindly share it here please. Thank you!

Hiya

From my experience, it will be a bit difficult to start working before coming here. When I was at your stage, I made several such speculative applications as well but recruiters never got back to me. I'm assuming you'd come here in September and most of the part-time jobs don't tend to recruit so early. The thing that ended up being the life saver was the uni's careers service as they have an online portal where all jobs are advertised. Some of these are DU-exclusive internships within the uni departments and only for Durham students. I'd suggest waiting until you receive your login ID (I think that happens in August-Sep) and finding and applying for jobs through that. I'm currently working two of these exclusive internships and my total hours go up to 13-14 hours a week, the work is super flexible around my studies and pays above the minimum wage too.

Hope that gives some insight but if you're really keen on remote jobs starting now then I'd say look on Indeed, LinkedIn, glassdoor, targetjobs etc.

-Himieka
(edited 11 months ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi,
Thank you so much for your time and answer! :smile: This is immensely helpful. If I may ask, which sector are you working in and what is your job role?
Hi,
Thank you so much for your time and answer! :smile: This is immensely helpful. If I may ask, which sector are you working in and what is your job role?

Hiya

One of my jobs is within the marketing department- my role is to answer questions here on TSR and create content with other interns for @thedurhamstudent on Instagram, Tiktok and Youtube. The other role is within the careers department where I assist the faculty placement manager in her tasks, and mainly involves creating weekly newsletters and other ad-hoc stuff.

-Himieka
Reply 4
That's great! So proud of you! If I want to work in the university too like you are, or say be a TSR representative or be an ambassador on UniBuddy what is that procedure like?
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

One of my jobs is within the marketing department- my role is to answer questions here on TSR and create content with other interns for @thedurhamstudent on Instagram, Tiktok and Youtube. The other role is within the careers department where I assist the faculty placement manager in her tasks, and mainly involves creating weekly newsletters and other ad-hoc stuff.

-Himieka
That's great! So proud of you! If I want to work in the university too like you are, or say be a TSR representative or be an ambassador on UniBuddy what is that procedure like?

The departments tend to recruit usually at the beginning of Michaelmas term i.e., around Sep-Nov. These vacancies are posted on the careers portal that I mentioned earlier so you can always apply when you start at Durham :smile:

-Himieka
Reply 6
Original post by Durham Students
The departments tend to recruit usually at the beginning of Michaelmas term i.e., around Sep-Nov. These vacancies are posted on the careers portal that I mentioned earlier so you can always apply when you start at Durham :smile:

-Himieka

Great thanks! Will i get access to the career portal once I start at durham?
Great thanks! Will i get access to the career portal once I start at durham?

Yes, you will need your cis ID (4 letters, 2 numbers) and password to login to the portal. This is provided to you once you're formally enrolled at the university.

-Himieka
Reply 8
Okay thank you so much for your help! Take care :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest