The Student Room Group

Asking help for dissertation

Is it illegal to use help for my dissertation from an assignment helper on Whatsapp. I got approached by one on Whatsapp and they said they were a former student of my university who had completed their Masters. I was just wondering if I am allowed to use their help, maybe get some ideas off them
Original post by Beastslayer_47
Is it illegal to use help for my dissertation from an assignment helper on Whatsapp. I got approached by one on Whatsapp and they said they were a former student of my university who had completed their Masters. I was just wondering if I am allowed to use their help, maybe get some ideas off them

You risk your entire degree if you do this.
Original post by ageshallnot

Even if I have a phone call with them asking for ideas?

Hi @Beastslayer_47

No, it is not illegal to get support for your dissertation.

However, you need to keep in mind that all of your work must be original so ‘the support’ cannot write your dissertation for you. If you are willing to pay them, then by all means take their advice and support.

But don’t forget it will usually be your supervisor who will be marking your dissertation so it is always good to stick to their advice and what they want to see in your work.

All the best with your dissertation:smile:

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Beastslayer_47

However, you need to keep in mind that all of your work must be original so ‘the support’ cannot write your dissertation for you. If you are willing to pay them, then by all means take their advice and support.

But don’t forget it will usually be your supervisor who will be marking your dissertation so it is always good to stick to their advice and what they want to see in your work.

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep

Thank you very much. Is there any source or anyone who can advice me?

But most likely it won't be just that. Why did this person approach you? Why can't you do your dissertation yourself?
I can't imagine many legit services cold approach people via WhatsApp.

Be extremely cautious, you are risking binning your entire degree.

Edit: And make sure you are extremely familiar with your unis regs on plagiarism if you do elect to get some coaching.
(edited 5 months ago)
But most likely it won't be just that. Why did this person approach you? Why can't you do your dissertation yourself?

No you don't understand. I am not having my dissertation written by anyone. I just need words of advice on how I can start my outline.

Do you have any advice?
No you don't understand. I am not having my dissertation written by anyone. I just need words of advice on how I can start my outline.

But you asked whether it was illegal, so you clearly have some concerns.

How likely do you think it is that a random person from WhatsApp wants to offer you some words of advice? How would you feel if you took some guidance and then they threatened to notify your uni about it? This isn't a hypothetical scenario, it comes up on TSR a fair bit.

General outline guidance seems like the kind of thing to be asking almost any academic member of staff. Is there some reason you're not approaching your uni for this? You get access to them for paying those fees :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Beastslayer_47

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep

But it could well be an academic offence to use this 'support'. I swear you reps are utterly myopic. Think about how you phrase things, seriously. 'Advice' from an outside, paid-for advisor of this sort is almost certainly collusion. Wise up.

It is illegal for these services to advertise and operate within the UK, so whilst the student is not breaking any laws, the operator very likely is.

Admit-One and ageshallnot are as usual on the ball here.

OP, do not do it. Speak to your supervisor, it is what they are there for. There are a million books on dissertation writing, look at them.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Admit-One
General outline guidance seems like the kind of thing to be asking almost any academic member of staff. Is there some reason you're not approaching your uni for this? You get access to them for paying those fees :smile:

Well my supervisor is going against every idea I put forward. My research question is on the if the law provides protection for domestic violence victims?

I put forward main themes of research such as substance abuse and infidelity between spouses.

Yet my supervisor went against these ideas and is saying to focus on the law. Of course I know I have to focus on the law but I also want to talk about the reasons of domestic abuse.
Original post by gjd800
OP, do not do it. Speak to your dupervisor, it is what they are there for. There are a million books on dissertation writing, look at them.

Do you have any links to these books online?
Reply 12
Do you have any links to these books online?

You have an institutional library account.

Which reminds me that the library probably offer direct support for writing dissertations.
(edited 5 months ago)

Do you have any advice?

Advice? Yes, listen to @Admit-One and @gjd800.
Reply 14
Well my supervisor is going against every idea I put forward. My research question is on the if the law provides protection for domestic violence victims?

I put forward main themes of research such as substance abuse and infidelity between spouses.

Yet my supervisor went against these ideas and is saying to focus on the law. Of course I know I have to focus on the law but I also want to talk about the reasons of domestic abuse.

Your supervisor is likely not trying to spoil your fun here, and this will probably be solid advice whether you think so at the moment or not. The single biggest nosedive a dissertation can take is rambling off on.things irrelevant to the assessment criteria.

Talk to them again and see if they think there's some wriggle room for you to include both. If they say no then generally speaking that is advice worth taking if you want a good mark.

We have to make compromises. Every R&R I get has me cut out and add stuff that I don't particularly want to do. It is the nature of the beast in academia.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by gjd800
Your supervisor is likely not trying to spoil your fun here, and this will probably be solid advice whether you think so at the moment or not. The single biggest nosedive a dissertation can take is rambling off on.things irrelevant to the assessment criteria.

Talk to them again and see if they think there's some wriggle room for you to include both. If they say no then generally speaking that is advice worth taking if you want a good mark.

We have to make compromises. Every R&R I get has me cut out and add stuff that I don't particularly want to do. It is the nature of the beast in academia.

PRSOM

It's pretty stupid tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending