The Student Room Group

What should I expect with a final year dissertation?

For context, I’m doing a computing/IT related degree. Now in my final year.

I know that I will have to do a dissertation this year, but what should I be expecting? I’ve never done one before so I don’t really know what I’ll be facing?

How do they compare to the regular assignments/reports that I’ve been used to doing up until now? From what I’ve heard they are extremely time consuming and difficult?

I assume there will be a practical element we’re I will have to actually make something as well as write it all up?

When you’re given the dissertation brief, what exactly does it typically ask you to do? I’ve heard some say you have to choose a question to research, are you given a few questions to choose from or do you have to find a choose your own?

What exactly do you then have to write up and discuss ? Are dissertations usually issues at the very beginning of the semester and do you submit them just before the end of the academic year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry, I apologise for the spelling mistakes. Predictive text!
Reply 2
Bump
Original post by Anonymous

I know that I will have to do a dissertation this year, but what should I be expecting? I’ve never done one before so I don’t really know what I’ll be facing?

How do they compare to the regular assignments/reports that I’ve been used to doing up until now? From what I’ve heard they are extremely time consuming and difficult?

I assume there will be a practical element we’re I will have to actually make something as well as write it all up?

When you’re given the dissertation brief, what exactly does it typically ask you to do? I’ve heard some say you have to choose a question to research, are you given a few questions to choose from or do you have to find a choose your own?

What exactly do you then have to write up and discuss ? Are dissertations usually issues at the very beginning of the semester and do you submit them just before the end of the academic year?

All of this is highly uni and department dependent, some might provide a list of titles and supervisors you bid for, others ask you to come up with a title. You are much more likely to get a useful answer from your personal tutor or a student in the year above you than on TSR unless you share a lot more details about your course. Also a bit of patience required, bumping a thread after 2 hours is unhealthy.
Hi @anonymous #1

I am currently in my final year and I am about to start my dissertation project module after next week. I can totally relate to everything you are going through.

I would advise you to contact your tutors or university's student support team on this matter. They will provide you with the correct information of what is required of you to complete your dissertation according to the university's standards. I was also had many question but after contacting the support team - they provided me with notes containing all the information I need to know about completing a dissertation successfully.

In this case, it is better to ask the university staff than not know.

Best wishes,
Minkateko - University of Essex Online Student Ambassador
Reply 5
Original post by MS_UoEOnline
Hi @anonymous #1

I am currently in my final year and I am about to start my dissertation project module after next week. I can totally relate to everything you are going through.

I would advise you to contact your tutors or university's student support team on this matter. They will provide you with the correct information of what is required of you to complete your dissertation according to the university's standards. I was also had many question but after contacting the support team - they provided me with notes containing all the information I need to know about completing a dissertation successfully.

In this case, it is better to ask the university staff than not know.

Best wishes,
Minkateko - University of Essex Online Student Ambassador

Thank you.

Are you studying Computing & IT with the Open Uni?
Thank you.

Your welcome! :smile:
Reply 8
Dissertations are usually worth 40 or 60 credits, which makes them two or three times the value of your average 20 credit module.
There is also, typically, no teaching - it's supervision based, though there may be some research skills classes at the start to get everyone up to speed (and if there aren't, then I suggest that you look to your libraryto see what skills workshops they offer,
key things at the start are
- who is your Supervisor
- what is/are you research question(s)
- from your essay writing and feedback so far, what are you weak areas - what skills do you need to improve on in order to do a decent job
- what is the required format for the dissertations (there are different conventions in different areas).
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by cheadle
Dissertations are usually worth 40 or 60 credits, which makes them two or three times the value of your average 20 credit module.
There is also, typically, no teaching - it's supervision based, though there may be some research skills classes at the start to get everyone up to speed (and if there aren't, then I suggest that you look to your libraryto see what skills workshops they offer,
key things at the start are
- who is your Supervisor
- what is/are you research question(s)
- from your essay writing and feedback so far, what are you weak areas - what skills do you need to improve on in order to do a decent job
- what is the required format for the dissertations (there are different conventions in different areas).

Thanks for the information.

I really am dreading the dissertation!
Reply 10
Original post by MS_UoEOnline
Your welcome! :smile:

Good luck for your degree and dissertation also.
Reply 11
Are you studying Computing & IT with the Open Uni?

I’m doing it at college but it is awarded by the Open Uni.
did a professor or student talk about what to expect for a dissertation?
Thanks for the response. I will obviously ask my tutors for an explanation.

Also a bit of patience is required, bumping a thread after 2 hours is unhealthy.

I had thought on a busy site like this and due to the nature of my question that I would have received a response quite quickly, nevertheless, I am free to bump my thread as and when I please, thank you for your advice though.

No, bumping within this time frame is against forum rules :smile:
Reply 14
Thanks for the information.
I really am dreading the dissertation!

Can you say what it is in particular that you are dreading?
How have you got on with academic research and writing in the past? You must have done some on your current course.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 15
- there maybe a ractical element but it could be what we cal a library dissertation, one that involves reading around a subject to see what research has been dne on it, then finding an angle to take up yourself. Whether there has to be a practical element, you will need to consult the assessment brief. as an afterthought, research can be "practical" such as conducting interviews, running focus groups, using a questionnaire...

- highy unlikely you will be given a question - it's part of your job to devise one - and you need to do a bit of reading/thinking to come up wth that, it won't appear out of thin air - but again, go to the assessment brief and look at what it asks you to do.

What exactly do you then have to write up and discuss ?

- well this is the nub - you undertake research into something, you ask a question, then you go out there and gather your data, you present your data and then you discuss it within the framework of your initial research and research question. You asked something, what did you find out? but you need to check your assessment brief for the specifics on this - in humanties there is a clear expected structure but computing IT may be different

Are dissertations usually issues at the very beginning of the semester and do you submit them just before the end of the academic year?
- usually they are done within a semester/trimester but again it depends on the module design. so usually you get the brief in week one and submit at the end of the module but it could be different on your module
(edited 7 months ago)
I’m doing it at college but it is awarded by the Open Uni.

TM470 Project report structure: https://learn1.open.ac.uk/mod/oublog/viewpost.php?post=239953
Original post by cheadle

The computing & IT dissertation module (TM470) with the OU is only worth 30 credits which is the same as all the other modules.
Reply 18
The TM470 module description is available online
Quoting from themodule site...

The main elements of your project will be:

choosing a project topic the topic must be based on the OU level 3 modules you have studied and we will need to know which area you want to work in before the module starts in order to assign you a tutor

getting information and finding out about developments in your topic area

producing a detailed proposal and project plan this will include choosing suitable methods, setting realistic goals and deciding what resources you will need

carrying out the project itself it could take many forms a software system, a critical analysis and report, or an investigation and set of recommendations are just a few examples

writing up and evaluating the project this will include a reflective evaluation of your approach to the project and its completion.

**** Throughout your project you will be set tasks through tutor-marked assignments (TMAs), which will help you to plan and progress the various phases of the project. You will also submit a final project report.

- so it looks like at least some of the stages above will be covered through a number of TMAs culminating in a "final report".

It doesn;t sound like you will be submitting a traditional Dissertation but rather a series of documents that taken together will cover the elements of a traditional Dissertation.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Muttley79
No, bumping within this time frame is against forum rules :smile:

That’s fair enough, I didn’t realise it was written into the rules of the site hence why I thought you could bump any time you wanted. Now I know for the next time I ever need to bump one of my threads.

That said, I was taken aback by @Mr Wednesday ‘s abrupt response as saying “a bit of patience is required” and “bumping a thread after 2 hours is unhealthy” did come across as a bit condescending - I think a wee friendly reminder like “hey, just so you can keep yourself right, you’re only allowed to bump before after 24 hours”

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending