The Student Room Group

How do you guys stay organised in a shared flat?

It's so complicated to split the finances, share out cleaning chores etc and to make sure they're actually done - how do other people approach this?

Each with their own room.

Proper cleaning is being done on bin collection day.

We exchange tasks weekly like 'I cleaned the bathroom this week, you do next week etc'.

Being mindful of cleaning up after you used the kitchen after yourself.

The fridge is not split necessarily but we each have a shelf in there and we share some stuff if needed like 'can I borrow an onion and I'll buy you one when I go to the shop'

No noise after midnight

For bills you could use kittysplit.com , really useful to keep track of who paid who etc or even to calculate what is supposed to pay whom etc

If people were not raised properly and don't have manners or a sense of responsibility , maybe telling them off will bring them back to reality but it doesn't always work like that. I kicked out a flatmate because his room would smell like dead rats and I felt like I was babysitting him to do his 2 a week chores. After a year and a half I had enough and I realised I don't have the time and energy to babysit. My new flatmate is 999 times better and maybe that's what it takes sometimes. Some things don't work out.

If its a chore I hate (taking out bins) we discussed that we can exchange chores if someone does this for me (so someone takes the bins out and I hoover the flat for example)

Hello,

My name is Haya and I am one of the final year medical students.

I found it helpful to have a schedule in the kitchen for cleaning, cooking times, and group activities.

We also had designated fridges for each person so that wasn't and issue.

Finally, a Whatsapp group was helpful to stay in touch.

Good luck,
Haya MBBS-5
Reply 3
Original post by Sophie_Sophie_
It's so complicated to split the finances, share out cleaning chores etc and to make sure they're actually done - how do other people approach this?

Hi!

I share a flat with two friends from university and we use this app called Flatastic, flatastic-app.com.

We mainly use it to assign cleaning tasks to eachother. For every task, we define when it should be completed and how often (we mostly do our chores once a week or on demand).

It's really convenient keep track of who's cleaning how often as there's a leaderboard! The reminder function has also come in handy :wink:

We also use their function to split shared expenses like toilet paper or laundry detergents. I value transparency in my shared flat, especially regarding the finances.

The app also has a shared shopping list and a pinboard to post messages but we use these features less often than the other two explained.

All in all, I recommend you'd give Flatastic a shot, it has definitely made life in a shared flat more relaxed.
Original post by noel_1428
We mainly use it to assign cleaning tasks to eachother. For every task, we define when it should be completed and how often (we mostly do our chores once a week or on demand).

It's really convenient keep track of who's cleaning how often as there's a leaderboard! The reminder function has also come in handy :wink:

I think I'd kick you out of the flat for that badgering nonsense :tongue: I don't want my home to resemble a pushy sales office.
Original post by noel_1428
Hi!

I share a flat with two friends from university and we use this app called Flatastic, flatastic-app.com.

We also use their function to split shared expenses like toilet paper or laundry detergents. I value transparency in my shared flat, especially regarding the finances.

The app also has a shared shopping list and a pinboard to post messages but we use these features less often than the other two explained.

All in all, I recommend you'd give Flatastic a shot, it has definitely made life in a shared flat more relaxed.

Thanks noel_1428 - I checked it out, this is just what I was looking for!
Original post by StriderHort
I think I'd kick you out of the flat for that badgering nonsense :tongue: I don't want my home to resemble a pushy sales office.

Hi StriderHort - I was also concerned about this, but the app is designed in a really friendly way and is more about formalising the process we already have in place than being a "pushy sales office", so for us it works really well :smile:
Original post by Sophie_Sophie_
Hi StriderHort - I was also concerned about this, but the app is designed in a really friendly way and is more about formalising the process we already have in place than being a "pushy sales office", so for us it works really well :smile:

If it works for you great, but wouldn't have anywhere I've shared. as said, it does sound a wee bit like how sales and other office businesses operate (they're also friendly)

Like if someone I lived with said 'Can you take the bins out today please, I'll get the hoovering or whatever' no problem, needs done. but if I got a ping or push from an app because one of my housemates had assigned a task and wanted to 'remind' me about it that would rub me up the wrong way pretty quick.

What happens if 1 person doesn't decide to install the app and says they will clean as they feel necessary?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending