The Student Room Group

Underpaid/ overpaid at work

So bit of a silly one but last week I worked 2 days. My shifts are 5-10:30. However on one of the days I got sent home quite early because we were empty Maybe like 9:15. I can't even say for sure what time it was exactly.

My manager gave me my wage yesterday and she said I had worked 5 1/4 hours however she gave me just over £76 excluding tips which would mean my pay worked to like £14 an hour which isn't the case as I only get paid £10.18 an hour.

So how does she have me down as working for only 5 hours but then gives me 7 hours wage?

I wrote my hours on a time sheet (which she has) however stupidly I lost the note (which I made) I wrote my hours on. So I don't know whether I should question her because I definitely worked more than 5 hours however £76 pay makes sense in my head for working 7 hours but even then I feel like I worked more than 7 hours. Maybe 8 or 9 hours

I feel like I should tell her in case she's testing whether I'd own up if I was over paid. She's one of those people who would do that
Reply 1
Original post by Leahmitch
So bit of a silly one but last week I worked 2 days. My shifts are 5-10:30. However on one of the days I got sent home quite early because we were empty Maybe like 9:15. I can't even say for sure what time it was exactly.

My manager gave me my wage yesterday and she said I had worked 5 1/4 hours however she gave me just over £76 excluding tips which would mean my pay worked to like £14 an hour which isn't the case as I only get paid £10.18 an hour.

So how does she have me down as working for only 5 hours but then gives me 7 hours wage?

I wrote my hours on a time sheet (which she has) however stupidly I lost the note (which I made) I wrote my hours on. So I don't know whether I should question her because I definitely worked more than 5 hours however £76 pay makes sense in my head for working 7 hours but even then I feel like I worked more than 7 hours. Maybe 8 or 9 hours

I feel like I should tell her in case she's testing whether I'd own up if I was over paid. She's one of those people who would do that

So you usually work about 7 hours per shift at your job.
You were sent home earlier than usual because of quietness and yet you were probably paid for the whole shift.
Sometimes a employer will still pay you for your normal hours even if they sent you home.

You have two options here....
1) accept you were paid for the 7 hours and let it be
2) you can just ask your manager if they paid you for your whole shift even though you just done over 5 hours and see what they say.
If you think she did it on purpose to see if you say anything then perhaps you should just ask her out straight about it as she might just say that you were paid regardless.
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
So you usually work about 7 hours per shift at your job.
You were sent home earlier than usual because of quietness and yet you were probably paid for the whole shift.
Sometimes a employer will still pay you for your normal hours even if they sent you home.

You have two options here....
1) accept you were paid for the 7 hours and let it be
2) you can just ask your manager if they paid you for your whole shift even though you just done over 5 hours and see what they say.
If you think she did it on purpose to see if you say anything then perhaps you should just ask her out straight about it as she might just say that you were paid regardless.

I wouldn't have gotten paid for the whole of my shift if I hasn't done the full finished. We just get paid hours worked.

I don't mind taking the £76 but if I'm down for 5 hours worked then I only get 5 hours worth of tips.

I'm trying to think of a nice way to get her to show me the timeshare without making it seem like I'm accusing her of anything. Like I said I'm more than happy to take the £76 but there's definitely a mistake if she has me down was only worked 5 hours when I know I worked more

Do you think I should say this to her

"Could I just confirm. Did you have me as only working 5 hours last week because what I was paid doesn't reflect that" or say this

"Hi, could you confirm how many hours I worked last week because you've written 5 1/4 on the note but you're paid me for 7 hours work"

I no for a matter of fact I defiantly did more than 5 hours

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending