The Student Room Group

why are families getting smaller and smaller?

My paternal extended family has 6 siblings, my maternal has 8.

My friends , classmates of my batch , and colleagues have 3 at most. Usually just 2. Many are not even married.

what went wrong?
Mix of financial and personal reasons.
Lots of people have never wanted any children and chose a childfree life.
Others are not able to have children of their own or have serious health problems that rule out raising any kids.
Some decided they they were not financially able to support a family that included children so either decided not to have children or not to have sexual relationships.

Most of those who do have 1-3 children planned how many children they would have, deciding to have children or add to their families only when they were secure in their careers and finances.
The easy availability of safe legal birth control has helped those who wanted to delay having children, limit their unplanned pregnancy risks or avoid having any biological children to do so.
Leading to average family sizes in most of England getting smaller compared with what they were 50 years ago.
Reply 2
Original post by mallowtopia
Mix of financial and personal reasons.
Lots of people have never wanted any children and chose a childfree life.
Others are not able to have children of their own or have serious health problems that rule out raising any kids.
Some decided they they were not financially able to support a family that included children so either decided not to have children or not to have sexual relationships.

Most of those who do have 1-3 children planned how many children they would have, deciding to have children or add to their families only when they were secure in their careers and finances.
The easy availability of safe legal birth control has helped those who wanted to delay having children, limit their unplanned pregnancy risks or avoid having any biological children to do so.
Leading to average family sizes in most of England getting smaller compared with what they were 50 years ago.

wouldnt that lead to depopulation? :frown:
Original post by HucktheForde
wouldnt that lead to depopulation? :frown:

Hopefully.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Hopefully.

you seem to like it :unimpressed:
Reply 5
Poverty and not wanting to be tied into an endless loop of it like my grandparents were
Reply 6
I'm 34 (next week) and I have no kids. I hate the world enough not to want anyone brought into it.
Original post by HucktheForde
My paternal extended family has 6 siblings, my maternal has 8.

My friends , classmates of my batch , and colleagues have 3 at most. Usually just 2. Many are not even married.

what went wrong?

Cost of Living Crisis.
Well, speaking personally I despise children and find large families deeply unpleasant. More generally, the first reply addresses most of the relevant points.

Very odd that smaller families are being framed as ‘wrong’.

Quick Reply

Latest