The Student Room Group

feeling lost in what i enjoy & scared about what i can do

Hi,

I’m a student at a uni in Ldn, originally from Manchester, & it’s my third time trying the same year because I have 2 modules left. These two modules account for 60 credits so it’s quite consuming & I don’t feel very accomplished or satisfied when I hand in my projects.

I’m struggling quite a lot with loneliness & feeling very lost as I don’t know what I want to. Whenever I think of something I could do I give myself reasons why it might not work out & I scare myself out of it.

Im doing Architecture at the moment as an undergraduate, I’ve done an interior design diploma & haven’t finished it, I’ve started a football coaching online course & not finished it…

I don’t struggle with attending classes but really struggle with finishing things…

I’ve gotten a lot of advice for it but the ultimate conclusion is that I need to make the decision myself & that really scares me.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,

I’m a student at a uni in Ldn, originally from Manchester, & it’s my third time trying the same year because I have 2 modules left. These two modules account for 60 credits so it’s quite consuming & I don’t feel very accomplished or satisfied when I hand in my projects.

I’m struggling quite a lot with loneliness & feeling very lost as I don’t know what I want to. Whenever I think of something I could do I give myself reasons why it might not work out & I scare myself out of it.

Im doing Architecture at the moment as an undergraduate, I’ve done an interior design diploma & haven’t finished it, I’ve started a football coaching online course & not finished it…

I don’t struggle with attending classes but really struggle with finishing things…

I’ve gotten a lot of advice for it but the ultimate conclusion is that I need to make the decision myself & that really scares me.

Hi there,
Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit lost at the moment.

Uni and work etc., can feel really overwhelming - especially this time of year, so what you're feeling is completely normal and it's okay to feel like this. I know it's not the best place to be in when you've got work to finish and feel so far away from it being complete.

With your uni project you need to hand in, I would maybe start by looking back at the module brief/assignment and make a list of what you need to do for your hand in. When I'm feeling stressed, I find it really helpful to visually see what I have to do to get the overwhelming feeling out of my head and onto paper. And as you work through the checklist, you can cross bits off and I know it's only a small thing, but it might give you some of that accomplished feeling. If you're ticking things off and the list is getting smaller, it might make you feel more productive.

With the finishing things bit you mentioned, maybe it goes back to your feeling of not being quite satisfied with what you've done? Or just feeling a bit unmotivated to complete your activities. Maybe you could try something much smaller than finishing a course, say a craft project or a goal to attend a sport or something like that, that has no pressure attached. Then you can aim to complete these smaller tasks, that might also add a bit of random fun into your week, to start finishing some activities. You might start to get that routine and motivation back to help you complete some of your more important tasks.

These are just some small suggestions, and I know getting yourself back on track isn't as easy as just making a list or trying some activities, but starting small might help. I hope you start feeling a bit better and less overwhelmed. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself and to enjoy what you're doing.

Emily 🙂
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,

Hi,
So sorry to hear that you're feeling like this.
It sounds like you would benefit with possibly splitting things for yourself into smaller, more manageable chunks.
University work can be incredibly overwhelming when you look at the bigger picture so sometimes it's more helpful to create a work schedule for yourself so you then only need to look at things on a day or week basis.
This way it can feel a lot more achievable and less daunting to finish.
Don't forget to give whoever is your first point of contact at your university an email. Many students almost feel that the student experience is to struggle and not seek help but this is not the case at all.
All universities should have something in place to be able to help you with your work as well as offer you some basic mental health support.
Finally, remember that your days don't have to be fully filled with university work. If things are too overwhelming then consider doing something else or a hobby to give yourself a break.
I hope you're feeling better soon and good luck,
Meg 🙂
Fellow architecture student here, 3 years in. Take a look at your work now as opposed to the work you were doing a few years ago, you will undoubtedly see an improvement, and that's down to your hard work. It's easy to get impostor syndrome doing this degree, since everything is so subjective and the workload can get unmanageable. I can also imagine that London gets to be a lonely city, I have lived there for a short period myself. If you're finding yourself in a rut and repeating the same year to no end, it could be time to consider another degree. Architecture isn't as financially and emotionally rewarding as most think, so one of the main reasons to stay in it is simply passion for and interest in the subject. Put yourself first, please, everything will work out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending