The Student Room Group

Should I do A level economics?

Would it be hard doing economics A level when I didn't do economics GCSE? I want to do it (with maths, further maths and chemistry) but I heard it is very much essay based. I want to possibly do it at uni (where I think it's more maths based) but I don't really like essay writing but I'm ok at it. Do you think I should take it?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
I am currently doing Economics in Year 13. Many friends at my school start Economics at A-Level so it is certainly fine. In fact, many schools only start offering it at A-Level so I don't think there will be a huge issue. Economics A-Level is not a requirement for most Econ courses, so make sure to check. Having it as an A-Level may help, but if you think you are going to struggle, I think taking something else might be a better idea. Economics A-Level is a lot of (almost all) essay writing and not much Math. It is about understanding fundamental concepts, how you structure your answers and make arguments + evaluate them. However, it is a very time-pressured exam, compared to my other A-Levels (Chemistry/Biology/Math).
I don't even think economics GCSE existed when they started offering the A-level, and I seriously doubt the A-level syllabus assumes the GCSE syllabus.

In terms of the essay based angle, you do need to be able and willing to write long form prose as I understand it though.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
I don't even think economics GCSE existed when they started offering the A-level, and I seriously doubt the A-level syllabus assumes the GCSE syllabus.

In terms of the essay based angle, you do need to be able and willing to write long form prose as I understand it though.

This is so true. I did both iGCSE and A-Level. Honestly, GCSE gave me an understanding of what the A-Level is about, and that is it. The A-Level started from the basics, and I am the only one in my class who did the GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest