The Student Room Group

Unfair exam

Hello, recently I took an exam worth 5% of my grade in each module (three modules in total). I know that isn't much but it is still apart of my final grade and therefore has importance in my eyes. My concern with the exam is that different groups of students are to take the exam at different dates; some sooner than others. How is this fair? Being the first to take the exam I clearly have a higher disadvantage than other groups who are to take it days after me. Furthermore, being in the student group chats, many people have helped each other by sharing the EXACT questions that are on the exam. So now not only does every other group apart from mine, get more time to revise, but they're also getting the exact questions that are on the test days prior to actually sitting it.

I acknowledge that having a large amount of students makes it near impossible for everyone to take the exam at once, but how is this fair for people like myself, who had to take the exam first?

EDIT: Should I contact my professor about this complaint or will they simply not care?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by j0hn03
Hello, recently I took an exam worth 5% of my grade in each module (three modules in total). I know that isn't much but it is still apart of my final grade and therefore has importance in my eyes. My concern with the exam is that different groups of students are to take the exam at different dates; some sooner than others. How is this fair? Being the first to take the exam I clearly have a higher disadvantage than other groups who are to take it days after me. Furthermore, being in the student group chats, many people have helped each other by sharing the EXACT questions that are on the exam. So now not only does every other group apart from mine, get more time to revise, but they're also getting the exact questions that are on the test days prior to actually sitting it.

I acknowledge that having a large amount of students makes it near impossible for everyone to take the exam at once, but how is this far for people like myself, who had to take the exam first?

EDIT: Should I contact my professor about this complaint or will they simply not care?

I wouldn't so much complain, as it might look like you're making excuses.

But I would point out that you're aware that some students have been providing details of the questions to each other - just so the professor is aware of the consequence of the (stupid) decision to have different people do the same exam on different dates.
Reply 2
Insanity. Yes, raise this.
Reply 3
@gjd800 @DataVenia
I am debating on writing them an email about the matter, but I do not want to sound like a "grass" :/. How should I word it? "I wanted to let you know that several students shared the quiz answers to those that had yet taken the exam"
Reply 4
This is about integrity and standards, I honestly wouldn't worry about sounding like anything - just a rundown of the situation, much like you provided here, would do it.
Original post by j0hn03
@gjd800 @DataVenia
I am debating on writing them an email about the matter, but I do not want to sound like a "grass" :/. How should I word it? "I wanted to let you know that several students shared the quiz answers to those that had yet taken the exam"

I agree with @gjd800. Your proposed wording sounds fine.
Reply 6
On top of what has already been covered it might be worth raising the unfairness issue with your course reps, for them to feed back through the staff-student liaison processes. That might not have any effect for the current academic year, but might prompt the department to make changes for next year and beyond. It's possible that the department might choose to ignore the results of these particular exams and base the final mark on the rest of the assessments for the modules concerned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending