The Student Room Group

Writing after the end of an exam

What are people's views on this?

Personally, I think if you're in the middle of a sentence and the invigilator calls time, you should be allowed to finish that sentence if it only takes a few seconds.

I was in my Physics exam yesterday, and had finished before the time limit so was just gazing around (as you do), and when the invigilator called time, he walked straight over to this guy in the middle of the hall who was still writing a few seconds later, said a few things to him and stuck his ID sticker (from his desk) onto his hand (as if to remember who he was).

When everyone else had left (I was still there because I was one of two who still had to sit Business :/), the guy who was caught had to stay behind and was talking to the invigilator.

Apparently after talking to one of my mates today, the guy might be reported to the exam board by the invigilator for not stopping.

Does anyone else think this is absolutely ludicrous? I would be livid if I got reported for finishing my sentence after the time limit was up.

To be honest, the invigilator seemed like a proper d***. He treated us as if we were 5 year olds, and was almost letting people out ONE at a time at the end of the exam (in a hall with in excess of 130 people in it)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It'd be fair if they consistently used that punishment, as people would know to expect it. Springing it out of the blue is totally unfair IMO.
Reply 2
I think it's right to punish those who continue to write after the exam has finished. If the exam is over, it's over for everyone.
The problem is that many exams are just too long and it's rather unfair for people that write slowly, like me :| Examiners should consider extending the time allowed for harder exams.
Well in our exams they just say please stop writing but give it like 20 secs for people to finish the last word and underline under each of the answers like your meant to
Reply 4
There was a girl in front of my in my last history exam that was still writing as the invigilators were collecting the papers. One invigilator was stood by her for a minute or two as she carried on then just said "I'll come back for it at the end, don't worry". I wouldn't mind if she was finishing a sentence off or something but she had enough time to write an extra paragraph, it was totally unfair!
Reply 5
That does seem extreme to be honest, especially if it was brief. But I think he may have been trying to keep him from having an advantage, though reporting him seems excessive.

The reverse happened in my exam the other day. Someone kept writing longer than that after the exam. Its pretty clear its probably more than one sentence, and the invigilator just waited! They weren't reported as far as I know though. This too seemed unfair.
Reply 6
Yeah, writing for a minute after it's finished would be unfair, but surely it is okay to finish off your sentence...?
Just.A.Girl
That does seem extreme to be honest, especially if it was brief. But I think he may have been trying to keep him from having an advantage, though reporting him seems excessive.

The reverse happened in my exam the other day. Someone kept writing longer than that after the exam. Its pretty clear its probably more than one sentence, and the invigilator just waited! They weren't reported as far as I know though. This too seemed unfair.

In my exams I have seen invigilators wait for people to finish as well, but they say to them just to finish their sentence. Certainly don't report them to the exam board though! As this seems to be the case in quite a lot of places, it does seem unfair to report it.
I finished a sentence after the exam had finished yesterday. I only needed to write the words "necessary condition", well I suppose it was about five words but still, it only took about 10 or 20 seconds... Besides I reckon I've earned it because I've probably saved about 5 hours of early finishing time during my educational career which I should be allowed to spend as I see fit :biggrin:

I think you should be allowed to finish the sentence that you are on.
Reply 9
It's very over the top! I'm sure they won't penalise him. People in my exams finish their sentences all the time after they yell 'STOPPPP!!!' as theres simply too many of us in a room for them to sprint over and slam shut our books.

I remember last year I was on the front row and she said stop and i was just finishing my sentence and she whacked me on the head with a clipboard LOLembarrassing or what...
While technically they probably should make you stop the second the exam is over, even if you are in the middle of a sentence, every exam I have ever done has had less strict invigilators who allow you to finish a sentence or two which I think is fair, finish your train of thought.
Reply 11
banannah
There was a girl in front of my in my last history exam that was still writing as the invigilators were collecting the papers. One invigilator was stood by her for a minute or two as she carried on then just said "I'll come back for it at the end, don't worry". I wouldn't mind if she was finishing a sentence off or something but she had enough time to write an extra paragraph, it was totally unfair!

How can they do that, so annoying. Some invigilators are so retarded.
Reply 12
sc8880
It's very over the top! I'm sure they won't penalise him. People in my exams finish their sentences all the time after they yell 'STOPPPP!!!' as theres simply too many of us in a room for them to sprint over and slam shut our books.

I remember last year I was on the front row and she said stop and i was just finishing my sentence and she whacked me on the head with a clipboard LOLembarrassing or what...

You definately should of spat in her face. :yep:
Our invigilators always say ''finish your sentence and put your pens down''
I think that's fair. I'd hate to have to stop half way through a sentence!
Gemma :)!
Our invigilators always say ''finish your sentence and put your pens down''
I think that's fair. I'd hate to have to stop half way through a sentence!

Same! We're allowed to finish our sentence. Even if it takes a few extra seconds. They don't mind. :smile:
During my Chemistry exam earlier in the month, one girl took an extra five minutes on both of the papers. She didn't have extra time, she just kept the invigilator waiting while she finished, and the invigilator carried on collecting the papers before coming back to her. I missed five marks on one of those papers because I ran out of time and know that if I'd had those extra five minutes, I'd have been able to finish the paper.

I agree with giving an extra few seconds for people to finish writing what they were in the middle of writing, but no more than that.
Reply 16
well in my exam halls, the invigilators warn us that we have 5 minutes left... At that point people should be concluding their answers I think.

a few seconds to finish the sentence can be questioned, like you already gave us a few seconds why not a minute. But people should look at the time every now and then but a few seconds is fare i guess

End of the exam is the end, for people that can't write fast is just their own fault... they shouldn't benefit just because they're a minority of people who writes slow.

Some exams are deemed to long IMO... but majority is just write!
venomizer
What are people's views on this?

Personally, I think if you're in the middle of a sentence and the invigilator calls time, you should be allowed to finish that sentence if it only takes a few seconds.

I was in my Physics exam yesterday, and had finished before the time limit so was just gazing around (as you do), and when the invigilator called time, he walked straight over to this guy in the middle of the hall who was still writing a few seconds later, said a few things to him and stuck his ID sticker (from his desk) onto his hand (as if to remember who he was).

When everyone else had left (I was still there because I was one of two who still had to sit Business :/), the guy who was caught had to stay behind and was talking to the invigilator.

Apparently after talking to one of my mates today, the guy might be reported to the exam board by the invigilator for not stopping.

Does anyone else think this is absolutely ludicrous? I would be livid if I got reported for finishing my sentence after the time limit was up.

To be honest, the invigilator seemed like a proper d***. He treated us as if we were 5 year olds, and was almost letting people out ONE at a time at the end of the exam (in a hall with in excess of 130 people in it)

Yeh I think some invigilators take their job too seriously and think they have so much power over people.
Reply 18
TBH with them its their job... few seconds is acceptable anything longer is definitely frowned upon!

but reporting is a tad extreme and should only be for those caught cheating
Reply 19
I wish our invigilators warned us there was 5 minutes left.Some did,some didn't,and its so annoying when they just shout and scare you saying "PUT YOUR PENS DOWN!!"

On topic though,they definitely should let you finish a sentence,but one of my friends in particular always continues writing right until the invigilator comes round.We always tell her off for it but she never listens!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending