The Student Room Group

Application question help/advice

Currently working on a firm's application question and struggling with this question: If you were in government what one thing would you change to make it easier for UK businesses to succeed and why?

Would appreciate any advice/tips
Reply 1
Hey!

From my perspective, this question tries to test your commercial awareness as well as your abilities to identiy a problem and offer a solution. The issue(s) here being the lack of investment into the UK, the fact that a lot of small businesses go into bankruptcy because of a high interest rate environment and that British companies choose to go public on a US market rather than in the UK. I'm not sure you are supposed to tackle all of them because you could write a 1000 words on it but perhaps choose one of them.

For the first thing I mentioned, you could link it to the fact that the CMA was blocking the Microsoft - Activision merger -- being the only major competition authority to do that. Activision came out and said that the UK is "closed for business". What you could also talk about is the National Security and Investment Act (NSIA), which allows the UK to block mergers in certain sensitive sectors.

For the last issue I mentioned, this is mostly related to the fact that Arm (a Britishc company) chose to go public on the NASDAQ in the US rather than the UK. Here, you could look into why Arm chose to do that: US is better at doing IPOs; better ability to raise funds in the US, etc.

In terms of solutions, I am not particularly sure what you could go for but what you could suggest is a law that encourages more investment into the UK especially from other countries. To form some ideas, I would recommend the Commercial Law Academy's course on discussing current affairs to understand some of the issues and try to come up with a solution to it.
Reply 2
Original post by Kb00
Hey!

From my perspective, this question tries to test your commercial awareness as well as your abilities to identiy a problem and offer a solution. The issue(s) here being the lack of investment into the UK, the fact that a lot of small businesses go into bankruptcy because of a high interest rate environment and that British companies choose to go public on a US market rather than in the UK. I'm not sure you are supposed to tackle all of them because you could write a 1000 words on it but perhaps choose one of them.

For the first thing I mentioned, you could link it to the fact that the CMA was blocking the Microsoft - Activision merger -- being the only major competition authority to do that. Activision came out and said that the UK is "closed for business". What you could also talk about is the National Security and Investment Act (NSIA), which allows the UK to block mergers in certain sensitive sectors.

For the last issue I mentioned, this is mostly related to the fact that Arm (a Britishc company) chose to go public on the NASDAQ in the US rather than the UK. Here, you could look into why Arm chose to do that: US is better at doing IPOs; better ability to raise funds in the US, etc.

In terms of solutions, I am not particularly sure what you could go for but what you could suggest is a law that encourages more investment into the UK especially from other countries. To form some ideas, I would recommend the Commercial Law Academy's course on discussing current affairs to understand some of the issues and try to come up with a solution to it.

Thank you, I appreciate your response :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending