The Student Room Group

Maths vs applied maths

I'm wanting to do maths for my undergraduate degree and was wondering if I should apply to applied maths instead of just a standard maths course. At places like Edinburgh University, you can do applied maths or maths. What would be the differences in the courses and would I have more options of what parts I wanted to specialize in if I applied to just maths? Also would applying to applied maths require a more specific personal statement? Sorry for all the questions...any help would be appreciated.
Original post by Rosie,,,
What would be the differences in the courses and would I have more options of what parts I wanted to specialize in if I applied to just maths?

The best way to answer that question would be to visit the web site of your target unis, and read the description of their Maths and Applied Maths courses. They'll almost always detail the modules you would take in each year, and list the likely range of optional modules available.

For example, for Edinburgh, see the "What you will study" section of their BSc Mathematics and BSc Applied Mathematics courses.

Quick Reply

Latest